Out of Conference: Coach Knight Berates His Seniors

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Out of Conference: Coach Knight Berates His Seniors

Postby pafan » February 25th, 2012, 4:51 pm

To steal a post from Saluki Talk:
SalukisRule1 wrote:Wow, he makes Lowery look like Mother Theresa.

And that's really a good analogy.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » February 26th, 2012, 9:52 am

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m- ... 12aaa.html

His team responded with a win on the road. New format for leadership: berate your seniors in the national media.
========================================================================================

HUNTSVILLE - After being challenged by head basketball coach Pat Knight earlier in the week, Lamar's senior class responded in a big way Saturday evening at Johnson Coliseum as the Cardinals used a huge second half to roll to a 72-49 Southland Conference win over Sam Houston State.

Knight made national headlines after he called out his seniors for their poor effort following Wednesday's 62-52 home loss to Stephen F. Austin. Saturday night, the Cardinals played with the type of energy and skill they are capable of in putting an end to a brief two-game skid..................................

"Boy they showed up tonight," said Knight. "I'll be the first to admit that I put them in a terrible position on purpose. I decided to do something pretty drastic, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have tough kids. I'm so proud of these seniors.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Happy » February 26th, 2012, 11:03 am

Ace Dad wrote:http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/022512aaa.html

His team responded with a win on the road. New format for leadership: berate your seniors in the national media.
========================================================================================

"Boy they showed up tonight," said Knight. "I'll be the first to admit that I put them in a terrible position on purpose. I decided to do something pretty drastic, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have tough kids. I'm so proud of these seniors.

That last sentence is bizarre. Rant in private with your team. Run players in practice, bench them during games. Any of these are appropriate to motivate/send a message compared to what he did in public. And now to say all that he said about his seniors is suddenly forgiven makes me think he is as psycho as his Dad.
Ace Happy
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Ace Dad » February 26th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Ace Happy, agree.

I know some posters supported his public berating of the seniors. My experience tells me that leaders or coaches who publicly humiliate and berate their "team" are weak leaders and it is all about them.

Take your seniors into a room, office, arena and say whatever you want. To do it the way he did was "showmanship."

Someone will say: "well, the team won." My response is "they won the battle, but he will lose the war." Over time, that approach will not work.

But, I am just a dumb fan and I have never won a game in my life.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 26th, 2012, 4:03 pm

I know he's a legendary coach and obviously a great coach from a tactical standpoint - but I just wasn't ever a fan of Bobby Knight at all. The ranting and raving and his constant verbal and even physical confrontations with referees and his own players really turned me off.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » February 26th, 2012, 4:06 pm

glm38 wrote:I know he's a legendary coach and obviously a great coach from a tactical standpoint - but I just wasn't ever a fan of Bobby Knight at all. The ranting and raving and his constant verbal and even physical confrontations with referees and his own players really turned me off.

Just ensuring, you do know the article was about his son, the Lamar University Head Coach?
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 26th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Ace Dad wrote:
glm38 wrote:I know he's a legendary coach and obviously a great coach from a tactical standpoint - but I just wasn't ever a fan of Bobby Knight at all. The ranting and raving and his constant verbal and even physical confrontations with referees and his own players really turned me off.

Just ensuring, you do know the article was about his son, the Lamar University Head Coach?

Of course. But his father was mentioned so I threw in my .02 there.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheShock » March 10th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Big bump! :+1:
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MVCfans » March 10th, 2012, 7:53 pm

TheShock wrote:Big bump! :+1:

Think I saw that they were 6-0 after the tirade and now Lamar is dancing.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Ace Dad » March 10th, 2012, 10:21 pm

MVCfans wrote:
TheShock wrote:Big bump! :+1:

Think I saw that they were 6-0 after the tirade and now Lamar is dancing.

Ranting only works when you have talent...................LMAO!
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball