MVC Post Season Awards - 1st, 2nd teams and POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Post Season Awards - 1st, 2nd teams and POY

Postby Red » February 28th, 2012, 11:30 am

2livewu wrote:But if it comes to fruition (as I think it will) one would have to question how CU could have the POY and DPOY (as well as possibly the NOY) and yet, somewhat inexplicably, finish 2 games out of 1st place.

I think the average non-biased fan would struggle to grasp how that is possible, but I could be mistaken.

It seems only the biased ones are making the argument. During the WSU-DU game they actually said Ethan Wragge of Creighton should be 6th man of the year too. What would the world come to if he won that.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 2livewu » February 28th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Red wrote:During the WSU-DU game they actually said Ethan Wragge of Creighton should be 6th man of the year too. What would the world come to if he won that.

Dynamite, another guy that can't even spell defense. It must be something in the water in Omaha.

In some perverse sort of way, I kind of hope it happens that way.

I'm pretty sure Ben Smith will be disqualified for 6th man due to the number of games he started at the end of the year, but if not, the award is his.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jays26 » February 28th, 2012, 12:11 pm

2livewu wrote:
Red wrote:During the WSU-DU game they actually said Ethan Wragge of Creighton should be 6th man of the year too. What would the world come to if he won that.

Dynamite, another guy that can't even spell defense. It must be something in the water in Omaha.

I'm pretty sure Ben Smith will be disqualified for 6th man due to the number of games he started at the end of the year, but if not, the award is his.

Don't think he is in Omaha dude. :roll:
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby havoc » February 28th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Jays26 wrote:
2livewu wrote:

Don't think he is in Omaha dude. :roll:

I don't understand. Ethan Wragge doesn't play for Creighton or Creighton isn't in Omaha?
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » February 28th, 2012, 12:20 pm

You want a WSU nominee? I'll give yu one. Ben Smith.

With the season on the line and WSU fac ing the #2 team and the #3 team in successive games. Smith held CU's POY/AA star to 5/14 from the field and 1/3 from 3 while McDermott was getting 32 minutes. That's 13 points on 14 shots. McDernott also had no assists and 2 To's. Either McDermott is overrated, or Smith had the defensive game of the year against him.

The next week Smith was assigned to Weems, last year's POY. Weems went 4/14 from the field in 33 minutes and had 10 points on 14 shots. In the 3 games prior to that game, Weems had been 16/33. After the WSU game Weems went into a tailspin the rest of the season.

In two games with everything on the line, Ben Smith was assigned to arguably the best two players in the league in successive games. He shut them both down, which was a huge factor in winning the title for WSU.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdfan21 » February 28th, 2012, 1:02 pm

Any chance John Wilkins gets some votes for All Defensive team? I do not have the numbers in front of me but he did very well against some of the better players in the league. I hope the numbers back this up, but he appeared to shut down Weems both in Normal and Springfield. I think he did an admirable job on McD as well (again, sorry if I am incorrect). I think he should/could get at least some consideration for All-D team (not DPOY).
Redbirdfan21
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aargh » February 28th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Missouri Valley Stats - Leaders, box scores for all games, etc.

http://www.mvc.org/mbb/stats/confstat.htm
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » February 28th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Per twitter http://twitter.com/#!/MVCfans

Looking forward to MVC all-conference team shortly. McDermott, Ragland, Stutz, and Ryan are on it for sure. 5th is up for grabs. #mvcfans

2pm announcement. Really hoping Jackie gets that last spot.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jayball » February 28th, 2012, 1:39 pm

aargh

I was thinking (or have heard people mention) Smith. I definitely remember him doing a great job on Doug. His recent play on offense has also been pretty spectacular. I would love to have him at the 3 for CU.

Curious as to how you think his numbers stack up against players like Odum, Weems, GE, and Carhmichael for DPOY.

I realize numbers aren't the be all end of of awards, but WSU is ridiculously balanced. I have watched maybe 4-5 WSU games this year, so I honestly don't know if Smith is your defensive MVP. When I see WSU, I see balance.

Would you put Smith over Murry as a defender? over Kyles? I'm not saying someone from WSU shouldn't or couldn't get the DPOY I'm saying the balance of your team makes it hard to choose one guy. Good problem to have....but a challenge for voters to single out one guy.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shockem » February 28th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Smith is a more physical defender than Murry. Both are about 6'5" and can guard positons 1-4 if necessary, although Murry being more finesse, typically guards the 2 or 3, whereas Smith gets the 3 or 4. Murry will go for the steal and sometimes gets burned, where Smith will get right in your face and try to prevent you from making your moves. Kyles can be a really good rebounder and gets a lot of steals, but he can also disappear and look lost at times. Our 3rd best (and maybe 2nd) defender is probably Williams. He's really come on this year and has taken on some of the toughest assignments. With him and Tekele Cotton coming back, we have a pair of really good defending guards next year, although we do lose some height as both of these guys are around 6'2".
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball