Pac 12 Blasphemy

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Pac 12 Blasphemy

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » February 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Anyhow for those of you complaining about the Pac 12 getting more than just an autobid, try putting together a mock bracket. I have Cal and Oregon in mine and Washington and Arizona are in the first four out. Things will get dicier when upsets start happening in conference tournaments so I think they will ultimately get just two at most. Cal plus the conference tourney champ which won't be Cal.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » February 27th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Yeah, it's too bad a 3rd team in the valley couldn't go 11-7, they'd definitely be in the discussion for an auto bid this year.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » February 27th, 2012, 2:01 pm

There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MetDrakeFan » February 27th, 2012, 3:44 pm

I don't really have the time or the wherewithal to make a mock bracket of my own, but that's why I was hoping our resident bracketologists can enlighten me why the Pac 12 should deserve 3 bids (or two even). I understand the bubble is weak, and I agree with the previous comment it's too bad that more MVC teams didn't win more league games. Practically the whole conference is the middle of the pack.
MetDrakeFan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BirdmanBB » February 27th, 2012, 3:56 pm

I really think a lot of Pac-12 bubbles will bust when NCAA locks, especially at the mid major level, don't win their conference tournaments. There is a lot of potential out there for that this year and we are included. Just look at conferences like the MWC, A10, MVC, CAA, OVC, WCC and CUSA.

-SDSU and UNLV are locks, but Colorado St could jump in and upset.
-There are numerous teams in the A10 that can upset the "locks"
-One of our 9-9 teams in the MVC could get hot.
-VCU can win the CAA giving them a couple.
-A team other than Murray St. could surprise in the OVC tourney.
-Maybe BYU can sneak a tournament Championship over St. Mary's and the Zags.
-CUSA have multiple teams that could get them to a couple bids.
-LBSU might even have a shot of losing their championship game and still getting in with an at-large.

I think once these things play out, Pac-12 teams with no ground to stand on will be the 1st to see their bubbles bust. It happens every year, but it usually ends up screwing us over. The Pac-12 looks mirror of the valley in some off years. (look at last year specifically) If they get more than one bid, even with a weak bubble, it will have to be much weaker than last year and we see a bunch of locks take care of business and win their conference tournaments.

This happens every year. They just happen to be "in" right now because bracketologists like Lunardi have to assume the teams with the best records in their conference will get the autobid until those conference tournaments are played out. At this point in time, you usually look for more teams to fall off than play their way back on.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » February 27th, 2012, 6:04 pm

MetDrakeFan wrote:I don't really have the time or the wherewithal to make a mock bracket of my own, but that's why I was hoping our resident bracketologists can enlighten me why the Pac 12 should deserve 3 bids (or two even).

The RPIs of the Pac 12 were posted earlier. They have three teams who would make the cut if you:
1) gave all the auto-bids to the "presumptive" champions of all the conferences
2) Say there are 14 conferences whose presumptive champion is not in the top 68 RPI
3) Take the top 54 RPI teams to fill the remaining seeds.
4) End up with 3 Pac 12 teams in the tournament

I think the most likely outcome for the Pac 12 is two bids. It is very likely that a ton of Pac 12 teams get NIT invites -- four would not be surprising.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball