Fave Players

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Fave Players

Postby GarH » February 27th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Couldn't stand Weems antics previously but he did cut them out this year. I give a lot of credit to his coach this year. He put a stop to that.
GarH
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » February 27th, 2012, 10:45 pm

I was anti-Weems last year and I am typically supportive of all players. Got to tell you that this year I was impressed with how he carried himself in both games against UE. I also believe that he put too much stress on himself as the reigning Player of the Year and that defenses did a better job of preparing for him. I wish him all the success in the world and believe him to be a good ambassador for the Bear Nation.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 28th, 2012, 7:48 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Can't stand Weems because of his antics.

I think you had a beef last year, but I watched every game Kyle played this year and only about 5 of McDermott's, and Doug was about 5x more over the top in just those games than Kyle was the whole year. His theatrics when Scheer was guarding him at MSU bordered on the ridiculous. Great talent but he inherited his daddy's penchant for a fine whine. But players I do like watching are:

Ben Simmons
Joe Ragland
Anthony Downing

I like Joe Ragland as much as the next guy, but he (and Carl Hall) whine after every whistle. Demetric Williams is fun to watch. He doesn't get near the press as the other WSU starters (or Hall or David Kyles), but he is fast and plays the game the right way.

While I am ever so wrongly talking up my team, Ehime Orukpe is the one guy that puts a smile on my face EVERY time he is a game. He is such an athletic freak, but still totally struggles with the speed of the game. He blocked one with his elbow against Ill St. Earlier this year he swatted the ball straight down and the ball sprung off the floor 20 foot straight up. If he happens to catch the ball in the paint by some miracle, the rim rattles for 30 seconds after the dunk. Of course he's just as likely to fumble it out of bounds when ungaurded as he is to thunder dunk it, but there are signs of improvement. Root for WSU or against, watch EO! He's your guy.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Happy » February 28th, 2012, 9:53 am

I like the lumbering Stutz and always wonder what it would be like to live that large when not on the court. Can't be fun all the time.

Lots of respect for Lathan and Seck - pure hustle, will to win players.

Whoever got into Ryan's grill defensively from Drake. Can't think of the name(s), but they are admirable.
Ace Happy
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby uniftw » February 28th, 2012, 9:54 am

Ace Happy wrote:I like the lumbering Stutz and always wonder what it would be like to live that large when not on the court. Can't be fun all the time.

I don't think it is.

I believe Jordan Eglseder has had 4 or 5 knee surgeries in the 2 years he's been out of college.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 28th, 2012, 10:05 am

Ace Happy wrote:Lots of respect for Lathan and Seck - pure hustle, will to win players.

I forgot about Seck. I love watching that guy and can't help but wonder that if he was on one of the contenders, he'd be a member of the first team all-MVC list.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » February 28th, 2012, 10:54 am

Wufan wrote:
I like Joe Ragland as much as the next guy, but he whines after every whistle.

I too am bored with Joe's constant whining about calls. I wish he'd stop it and just play straight up.

And I agree with DWill and Ehimen, they are fun to watch. Demetric has really come into his own of late, something I didn't expect frankly, and it's been a key to the late season stretch run and mostly due to his lock down defense.

Ehimen is just fun to watch...with his big smile and nearly total lack of understanding of the game. He has an innocence about him not often seen at this level.

I also enjoy Grant Gibbs when he's finding people in the right spot...he makes the good pass seem so effortless...a thing of beauty.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jwa123 » February 28th, 2012, 4:21 pm

I like watching Jackie Carmichael rebound. Yes I am biased but I have always liked rebounders because it's a combination of talent and dig deep desire to get the boards. (Who remembers Xavier McDaniel? One of my all time favorites.) Even though I am biased, Jackie was a monster this year rebounding.

I also like Antoine Young.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Heinro » February 28th, 2012, 11:46 pm

My favorite player, that is not a Shocker, is Odum. He is one of the best ball handlers I can remember seeing in a long time. I also have a slight bias to Lathan as well but that is because of a performance he put up in the Valley tourney 2-3 years ago, I think as a sophomore, where he scored close to 30.

Doug is something special on offense. The way the ball just seems to bounce off his hands and into the bucket is incredible. I just wish his defense didn't make me want to pull my hair out.

I will also add Seck in this group. At times this season I have wondered if SIU wouldn't be better off with only him out on the court.
Thoughts and prayers to WSU finding a new conference.
Heinro
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby 45otseoj » February 29th, 2012, 3:57 am

Ryan Sawvell
Overlooked recruit from Illinois' stacked class of '11.
High motor, great instinct, and still has some athleticism we haven't seen entirely yet
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball