Who you rooting for, Top 2 or the field?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby ShockValue » February 27th, 2012, 10:04 am

Thought I'd get the pulse of the group here to see if you think the Valley would be better to have WSU or CU win and achieve better seeds or to have an upset and the MVC get three teams into the NCAA's?
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who you rooting for, Top 2 or the field?

Postby Ace Dad » February 27th, 2012, 10:37 am

I want the top 2 seeds to fall and a third team into the tourny.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » February 27th, 2012, 10:43 am

CU and WSU in the finals is best. Any other Valley team winning the auto would likely have a bad seed and get blown up in the first round against a 3 or 4 seed.

That team would get to extend practice, which might help next year - and the Valley would get a little more money, but there wouldn't be much - if anything - to gain in public perception from one of the top teams going down just before the NCAA's and then a one-and-done showing up in the NCAA's.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 27th, 2012, 10:51 am

Aargh wrote:CU and WSU in the finals is best. Any other Valley team winning the auto would likely have a bad seed and get blown up in the first round against a 3 or 4 seed.

That team would get to extend practice, which might help next year - and the Valley would get a little more money, but there wouldn't be much - if anything - to gain in public perception from one of the top teams going down just before the NCAA's and then a one-and-done showing up in the NCAA's.

If i want either of the top two to fall before the title game it is WSU....1. because UNI is on that side of the bracket and UNI getting to Sunday with a win over WSU would be huge for UNI getting to the NIT. 2. WSU is more solidly in than CU at this point and WSU can "afford" to not make the title game/win the auto.

I think both CU and WSU are solidly in, and I would love to see a third (UNI) team in the tourney. More money, more exposure, etc...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » February 27th, 2012, 11:08 am

Not sure WSU or CU have that much to gain or lose. WSU will be a 4-5. CU will be a 7-8. Adding a third team would be my choice.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jays26 » February 27th, 2012, 11:11 am

Red wrote:Not sure WSU or CU have that much to gain or lose. WSU will be a 4-5. CU will be a 7-8. Adding a third team would be my choice.

Disagree...I think CU can improve their seed quite a bit. Win in St. Lou and they could jump to a 5 or 6 IMO.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » February 27th, 2012, 11:15 am

Jays26 wrote:
Red wrote:Not sure WSU or CU have that much to gain or lose. WSU will be a 4-5. CU will be a 7-8. Adding a third team would be my choice.

Disagree...I think CU can improve their seed quite a bit. Win in St. Lou and they could jump to a 5 or 6 IMO.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs because I don't think the level of opponent changes all that much if CU would be a 6 or a 7. Having a third team would mean more recognition and revenue for the Valley. With CU and WSU as locks before the tourney even starts I can guarantee Doug Elgin is hoping a third team wins.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » February 27th, 2012, 11:46 am

I would rather have a WSU/CU final. If they lose (especially lose early) they will be punished by the selection committee. WSU and CU are now playing for seeding. Better the seeding the better chance they have of advancing (which bring in more prestige and money to the conference).

If there was a third team that was on the bubble and was deserving of a trip to the NCAA tournament then I might think a little different, but there isn't.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sect.3purple » February 27th, 2012, 11:50 am

Creighton and WSU are in regardless....and even not winning the tourney probably wouldn't change seeding that drastically, so I hope a third team wins the conference tourney. It would draw even more attention to the conference to have 3 teams represented....if elevating our conference is a goal, I think having a third team emerge over the two quality teams at the 1 and 2 spot is a sign of quality in the MVC overall....and, maybe that third team could even win a game or two. Stranger things have happened.
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » February 27th, 2012, 11:58 am

Whatever happens, it's now official that both Wichita State and Creighton will be ranked during the conference tournament. Is this the first time that has ever happened? (I realize there were two ranked Valley teams at the same time in the early 1980s, but don't know if that lasted until the tournament)
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball