Injury/Illness Updates

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Injury/Illness Updates

Postby Aargh » February 29th, 2012, 10:33 pm

WSU is hurting

Stutz - Can't even hold down liquids. Got 3 liters of IV fluids yesterday to fight dehydration.
Ragland - Being checked for a concussion - tests are negative. Dizziness from either a sinus infection or the medication to treat the infection.
Kyles - Unspecified illness
Hall - Unspecified illness - noticeable coughing
Anacreon - groin injury
Marshall - Bronchitis

Shox are beat up and Friday is getting closer.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Injury/Illness Updates

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Injury/Illness Updates

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » February 29th, 2012, 10:35 pm

Is this the preemptive excuse thread when things don't go well for the Shox in Saint Louis? Again?
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » February 29th, 2012, 10:42 pm

For us:

Weems pulled his pride midway through conference play. He will continue to play through it.

Bizoukas is battling bouts of Gottliebitis/Dogus Balbay-itis which is a deteriorating condition that keeps his shot from going in. He will battle through it and keep shooting.

Scheer has sophmoritis (also known as sophomore slump). He will continue to struggle badly this year but will be much better as a junior.

Even Coach Lusk is a little under the weather. He has Dino Gaudio/Steve Lavin (UCLA version)/Jim Wooldridge headscratchingmindnumbingcoachingdecisionitis. It remains to be seen if he will get over this and become Brad Stevens in time or if it will continue to develop into the disease that took over Barry Hinson's coaching mind.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace Dad » February 29th, 2012, 10:53 pm

The Shockers are dealing with real injuries and illnesses.

The Bears' fans are dealing with one of basketball's most prevalent syndrome: My coach, team, and players will never attain the goals I have set for them in my mind, so I will piss on them as soon as the NCAA bid opportunity starts slipping away.

The best salve for the Shockers' ailments is rest, rest, and more rest. The blessing in disguise is your bench will get a couple of good games under their belt and that will make you a better team for the NCAAs.

The best solution for the Bear's fans is to hire Jesus Christ as your coach and put the 12 Disciples on the bench. But, as soon as they lose, you will be ready to fire the coach and release the players from scholarship.

**The above statement is not an indictment of all Bears fans. Most Bears fans are good guys.**

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2012 ... ext|Sports

"Kyle Weems on Tuesday became only the third Missouri State player to repeat as a first-team all-Missouri Valley Conference basketball selection.

“It’s awesome,” Weems said of becoming the first MSU to earn first-team honors in back-to-back years since Blake Ahearn in 2006 and 2007.

“It’s been great having a great group of guys to pass me the ball when I’m open as well as a great coaching staff to put me in a position to be successful,” Weems added. “It’s just an extreme honor.”"
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » February 29th, 2012, 10:54 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:Is this the preemptive excuse thread when things don't go well for the Shox in Saint Louis? Again?

It's not an excuse thread. Who in their right mind would ever give them a chance of winning in STL? They have never won much there and never will. This is the Creighton Invitational Tournament after all.

I believe all Aargh is saying is that the Shockers' chance of winning the autobid went from 0% to -27%.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » February 29th, 2012, 11:52 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:Is this the preemptive excuse thread when things don't go well for the Shox in Saint Louis? Again?

Again? I don't remember any "woe is me" Shocker posts in prior years.

That's an honest report - and here's my honest opinion. Stutz will be probably be playing in the current "Ben SImons" mode - playing, but may need limited minutes and may not have the energy you'd expect.

I'm familiar with the disease going around Wichita. It's nasty for a day or two and then lingers. Hall and Kyles should be good to go by Friday, but they may not be 100%. Ragland seems to be taking longer to recover than most. Some people are just more susceptible to sinus stuff. Expect him to be playing, but maybe no at 100%.

I'm just reporting what I believe are the facts. No excuses, just info that others might find interesting.

Now I will give my opinion. If the Shox have to go with a lot of minutes from Williams, Murry, and Tekele Cotton in the back court, I'm not worried about making it to Sunday. If the Shox have to go with a lot of minutes from Orukpe and White in the front court, I'm not worried about making it to Sunday.

The Shox Sr's have earned their minutes and Marshall has rewarded them by giving them the minutes. That has limited the opportunities for opponents to see the reserves. There's a drop off with the reserves, but it's not as big as you might expect based on the on-court minutes.

The way Jake White has been playing lately, if he gets many minutes, you will see why he was a Parade All American. He's not getting minutes because he's playing behind the #2 PoY in the league and the Valley NoY.

If WSU didn't have Stutz and had to play Orukpe, Echenique would not have been the DPOY. I have not seen a player in the Valley as intimidating as Orukpe since Wesley Unseld. That means I think Orukpe is more intimidating on D than Antoine Carr.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bluejays89 » March 1st, 2012, 12:27 am

Aargh wrote:

Again? I don't remember any "woe is me" Shocker posts in prior years.

That's an honest report - and here's my honest opinion. Stutz will be probably be playing in the current "Ben SImons" mode - playing, but may need limited minutes and may not have the energy you'd expect.

I'm familiar with the disease going around Wichita. It's nasty for a day or two and then lingers. Hall and Kyles should be good to go by Friday, but they may not be 100%. Ragland seems to be taking longer to recover than most. Some people are just more susceptible to sinus stuff. Expect him to be playing, but maybe no at 100%.

I'm just reporting what I believe are the facts. No excuses, just info that others might find interesting.

Now I will give my opinion. If the Shox have to go with a lot of minutes from Williams, Murry, and Tekele Cotton in the back court, I'm not worried about making it to Sunday. If the Shox have to go with a lot of minutes from Orukpe and White in the front court, I'm not worried about making it to Sunday.

The Shox Sr's have earned their minutes and Marshall has rewarded them by giving them the minutes. That has limited the opportunities for opponents to see the reserves. There's a drop off with the reserves, but it's not as big as you might expect based on the on-court minutes.

The way Jake White has been playing lately, if he gets many minutes, you will see why he was a Parade All American. He's not getting minutes because he's playing behind the #2 PoY in the league and the Valley NoY.

If WSU didn't have Stutz and had to play Orukpe, Echenique would not have been the DPOY. I have not seen a player in the Valley as intimidating as Orukpe since Wesley Unseld. That means I think Orukpe is more intimidating on D than Antoine Carr.

Orukpe might get more love than any guy averaging 8 minutes a game I have ever seen. Maybe he does not play is because he is a complete liability on offense. He commits a turnover for every block in his limited career (35 apiece).
bluejays89
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » March 1st, 2012, 6:59 am

You are correct about EO on all counts.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 1st, 2012, 7:30 am

Ace Dad wrote:The Shockers are dealing with real injuries and illnesses.

The Bears' fans are dealing with one of basketball's most prevalent syndrome: My coach, team, and players will never attain the goals I have set for them in my mind, so I will piss on them as soon as the NCAA bid opportunity starts slipping away.

The best salve for the Shockers' ailments is rest, rest, and more rest. The blessing in disguise is your bench will get a couple of good games under their belt and that will make you a better team for the NCAAs.

The best solution for the Bear's fans is to hire Jesus Christ as your coach and put the 12 Disciples on the bench. But, as soon as they lose, you will be ready to fire the coach and release the players from scholarship.

**The above statement is not an indictment of all Bears fans. Most Bears fans are good guys.**

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2012 ... ext|Sports

"Kyle Weems on Tuesday became only the third Missouri State player to repeat as a first-team all-Missouri Valley Conference basketball selection.

“It’s awesome,” Weems said of becoming the first MSU to earn first-team honors in back-to-back years since Blake Ahearn in 2006 and 2007.

“It’s been great having a great group of guys to pass me the ball when I’m open as well as a great coaching staff to put me in a position to be successful,” Weems added. “It’s just an extreme honor.”"

Hey Ace Dad, I generally respect your views, but you've fallen into generalizing a fan base based on a few posters, token olive branch disclaimer or not. There's a lot of us that while frustrated with a lot of close losses are quite optimistic and supportive of the direction of Bear's basketball. So take you're condescending "Jesus Christ" comments back to Evansville. I don't know if you'll need him, but I think we're fine with Lusk. Coaches seem to have been run out of Evansville a little quicker than Springfield in the last decade or so. Other than Barry, ours have left by choice, and he got quite a few years to prove himself.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby FeartheQ » March 1st, 2012, 8:29 am

Aargh wrote:WSU is hurting

Stutz - Can't even hold down liquids. Got 3 liters of IV fluids yesterday to fight dehydration.
Ragland - Being checked for a concussion - tests are negative. Dizziness from either a sinus infection or the medication to treat the infection.
Kyles - Unspecified illness
Hall - Unspecified illness - noticeable coughing
Anacreon - groin injury
Marshall - Bronchitis

Shox are beat up and Friday is getting closer.

Dang...
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball