WSU in 2012 Cancun Challenge

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby unipanther99 » March 1st, 2012, 3:07 pm

http://thegazette.com/2012/03/01/hawkey ... challenge/

Iowa (Big Ten), DePaul (Big East), Western Kentucky (Sun Belt) and Wichita State (Missouri Valley) playing in the Riviera Division. The Mayan Division features Howard (MEAC), Austin Peay State (Ohio Valley), Western Carolina (Southern) and Gardner-Webb (Big South).
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: WSU in 2012 Cancun Challenge

Postby KeepCalm_&_GoJays » March 1st, 2012, 3:14 pm

Yikes. That isn't a great get for the Shox.
KeepCalm_&_GoJays
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby unipanther99 » March 1st, 2012, 3:26 pm

It sounds like maybe they will only be playing the first four? (Hopefully!)
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Aargh » March 1st, 2012, 3:38 pm

Weak SoS tourney. With a lot of inexperienced players next year, that's probably all they can handle early in the season.

Will do nothing for an NCAA resume, but the Shox don't look like an NCAA type team next year.

Next year's Shox are likely to be a team that gets better as the season progresses. In other words, stink it up in OOC and then play spoiler the rest of the season. Seems that the Valley has one or more of those every year.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » March 1st, 2012, 5:55 pm

Iowa seems to be getting things turned around possibly and WKU is usually at the top of the Sun Belt and tournament worthy. I wouldn't throw it under the bus quite yet.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 1st, 2012, 6:52 pm

Aargh wrote:Weak SoS tourney. With a lot of inexperienced players next year, that's probably all they can handle early in the season.

Will do nothing for an NCAA resume, but the Shox don't look like an NCAA type team next year.

Next year's Shox are likely to be a team that gets better as the season progresses. In other words, stink it up in OOC and then play spoiler the rest of the season. Seems that the Valley has one or more of those every year.

I thought UNI was going to be a team like that this year. They were actually just the opposite though...
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » March 2nd, 2012, 8:05 am

First time in a long time that WSU gets a stinker in the non-con tourney schedule. Personally, I don't like it and DO NOT subscribe to the "that's the level we need to play". We need to play the best.

My apologies right now go out to anyone in the Valley that will suffer from our poor RPI from playing bad teams. I don't like it when other teams do it (hello Jank) and I sure as heck won't defend it when my team does it.

Scheduling fail.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » March 2nd, 2012, 10:21 am

2livewu wrote:First time in a long time that WSU gets a stinker in the non-con tourney schedule. Personally, I don't like it and DO NOT subscribe to the "that's the level we need to play". We need to play the best.

My apologies right now go out to anyone in the Valley that will suffer from our poor RPI from playing bad teams. I don't like it when other teams do it (hello Jank) and I sure as heck won't defend it when my team does it.

Scheduling fail.

May not be WSU's fault entirely. Sometimes MVC schools are made promises about the quality of opponents that will be in these types of tourneys and the organizer either can't deliver or flat out lied. By the time the real slate is announced, it is too late to get in another tourney. Creighton had the same thing happen a few years back in a Vegas tourney.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » March 2nd, 2012, 11:50 am

Redbirds played in this tourney this year. You get to play two of the cupcakes from the weaker division at home and then you are matched up with a team in your division in Cancun where winner/losers play each other.

My guess is that you will be playing either Iowa or DePaul in the first game. DePaul might actually be a decent team next year. Don't know much about what Iowa is returning.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 45otseoj » March 3rd, 2012, 8:55 am

Basketball aside, this tournament is an absolute blast. The Moon Palace is a wonderful host.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball