Illinois state vs #14 Wichita State - Saturday 1:30

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Illinois state vs #14 Wichita State - Saturday 1:30

Postby cpacmel » March 6th, 2012, 7:02 am

vancedave56 wrote:Check the time Jim Benson? put his little "chat" out - around noon on Sunday.
Bob Looooootz's editorial (his musings - not fact) came out (in print) in the Wichita Eagle about 6 a.m. However, it was available online around 6:30 p.m. Saturday evening.

Mr. Bob godLutzgod, is the one that put the story out - he is the one that said "conspiracy theory." He is the one that coined the phrase "bullying." He and coach Marshall have never got along, and Bob siezes every opportunity he can get to promote himself and get his digs in.

This is what I believe.

So are you saying Lutz was the only one that was at the press conference to see what went down? I can assure you that Jim Benson was there as well.

I also think the phrase bullying is pretty popular. A term that Benson didn't steal from Lutz.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Snaggletooth » March 6th, 2012, 7:14 am

Doug Elgin wrote:Elgin, in his 24th season with the Valley, downplayed the exchange he had with Marshall.

“I don’t think it was a spat,” he said. “I wasn’t mad. It’s emotional. It’s an emotional basketball game. I can understand a coach being upset after losing a game like that. I was not angry. If I looked angry, I wasn’t angry. I was feeling emotion, too.”

Evidently Doug Elgin realizes he works for WSU, not the other way around.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby vancedave56 » March 6th, 2012, 7:47 am

cpacmel wrote:
vancedave56 wrote:Check the time Jim Benson? put his little "chat" out - around noon on Sunday.
Bob Looooootz's editorial (his musings - not fact) came out (in print) in the Wichita Eagle about 6 a.m. However, it was available online around 6:30 p.m. Saturday evening.

Mr. Bob godLutzgod, is the one that put the story out - he is the one that said "conspiracy theory." He is the one that coined the phrase "bullying." He and coach Marshall have never got along, and Bob siezes every opportunity he can get to promote himself and get his digs in.

This is what I believe.

So are you saying Lutz was the only one that was at the press conference to see what went down? I can assure you that Jim Benson was there as well.

I also think the phrase bullying is pretty popular. A term that Benson didn't steal from Lutz.

No, are you saying Benson was the only one there? It is a little strange that they would both use the phrase "he bullied his way." I believe what Coach Marshall says happened. You can believe what Jim Benson says happened. I wasn't there - maybe you were, but it all seems like second hand information.

Lutz wrote his article at 6:30 p.m. Saturday - Jim Benson repeated what Lutz wrote when answering a question on Sunday at noon using basically the same verbage. Benson and Lutz are writers with opinions also - they don't always get the facts right. I would assume you would also believe your coach over a writer...maybe not.

It doesn't really matter at this point...it's been cussed, discussed and totally blown out of proportion just to give people something to read and write about.

...back to basketball.
vancedave56
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby cpacmel » March 6th, 2012, 8:03 am

The only verbage that was the same was bullying.

Benson included the F bombs parts and Lutz didn't.

Benson's chats are always an hour before tip-off.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby vancedave56 » March 6th, 2012, 8:17 am

That's fine - don't know anything about F-bombs...never witnessed coach use that language before, not saying he isn't capable of it. I imagine most people on here have been guilty of such things at some emotional point in their lives...some more than others. Not the right thing to do, and I don't recommend it. To some famous coaches, it is just part of their everyday vocabulary.
vancedave56
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BirdmanBB » March 6th, 2012, 9:10 am

So a verification from two different beat writers doesn't hold as much weight as someone passing through word of mouth "in the flesh" on a message board. Come on guys, stop stretching. It happened, Marshall has a temper (surprise surprise), your coach (not fans) lost some respect in the valley. When you guys keep trying to argue it is just making the fans look worse now. Marshall can earn it back by making a deep run in the tournament.

As for the redbirds "tactics." Go watch the replay. The only rough stuff really came from Wilkins and Stutz. BTW, stutz is just as guilty. There were numerous times in this game where Wilkins had Stutz blocked out for a rebound and Stutz would put two hands on him and rip him down or to the side so he could get by (like a football move). When Wilkins got the T, it wasn't the only time that Stutz grabbed and threw him trying to get better position after being blocked out. Wilkins may have gotten called for a forearm going his way as he was balancing himself (when stutz locked his leg), but I don't think that was intentional. If you go back a little before that, take a look at who had position (wilkins) and then who locked up Wilkins arm and then ripped him down.....The proof is all in the video.

The only other moment I saw that was "rough" was when Murray? ran right into a clean pick from Nic Moore. It was perfectly legal. He fell because he wasn't looking.

ISU simply played a tough game and did not back down. They played up to WSU's level and came out victorious. Calls are always going to be bad on both sides. Sh*t happens. Just take the loss, learn from it and play tougher in the NCAA tourney. Good Luck.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby vancedave56 » March 6th, 2012, 9:27 am

We still see things differently - even the video.
We will never agree.

We can agree that ISU won the game - that's all that matters.
vancedave56
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BirdmanBB » March 6th, 2012, 9:32 am

vancedave56 wrote:We still see things differently - even the video.
We will never agree.

We can agree that ISU won the game - that's all that matters.

Not sure how a blockout can be seen differently. One guy is in front of the other one sealing him out as the shot is made. One guy has position and the other doesn't. I'll admit, Carmichael got sealed out a couple times, but he was actually called for trying to get around the blockout.

Must be selective vision I suppose. It shouldn't be that hard to differentiate.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby vancedave56 » March 6th, 2012, 9:41 am

Not the same plays you are speaking of - there are plenty of other plays where WSU was jobbed (in my opinion). It is pointless. That's how every game goes. In a car accident you will have different eye witness views. People in different vehicles will often honestly believe it was the other person's fault...and relationships/marriage...whew!

Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree and move on.
vancedave56
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » March 6th, 2012, 10:37 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
Doug Elgin wrote:Elgin, in his 24th season with the Valley, downplayed the exchange he had with Marshall.

“I don’t think it was a spat,” he said. “I wasn’t mad. It’s emotional. It’s an emotional basketball game. I can understand a coach being upset after losing a game like that. I was not angry. If I looked angry, I wasn’t angry. I was feeling emotion, too.”

Evidently Doug Elgin realizes he works for WSU, not the other way around.

Or Elgin, being a professional, decides to downplay the incident in the press rather than pouring gasoline on it. That is what professionals do (at least outside of the city of Wichita).
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball