Illinois state vs #14 Wichita State - Saturday 1:30

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Illinois state vs #14 Wichita State - Saturday 1:30

Postby unipanther99 » March 6th, 2012, 10:55 am

Agreed. No matter how pissed Elgin is/was, he would never take it to the press.

That said, it doesn't really matter how angry he is... What can he realisticly do about it?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ali » March 6th, 2012, 10:55 am

cpacmel wrote:
iSASO wrote:FOR THE RECORD, regarding the press conference you all are dog-piling over:

Marshall asked three separate individuals for permission to go into the media conference room to get it over with.

In all three cases, permission was granted. Gregg Marshall was ready and no one from the conference office denied his request.

I guess you'll need to spice up another story to replace this one, then you can all be outraged over that instead. Enjoy!

I am not so sure this went down like you have described here.

Here is a link to a chat session with the Pantagraph's beat writer Jim Benson:
http://live.pantagraph.com/Event/ISU_vs_Creighton_basketball

Hi Jim, I read some of Greg Marshalls post game comments and it appears he was blaming the refs for the loss. Did you get that same feeling in the media room? If so, i think its ridiculous. There was a pretty bad missed call on Tyler Brown towards the end of the game. Refs were letting them play and that went both ways
by BirdFan3/4/2012 6:28:13 PM 12:28 PM yesterday

Without a doubt. He also bullied his way into the press conference first when ISU was supposed to go first as the winning team. He told MVC officials he was ready to go. When they told him he had to wait, he dropped several f-bombs. So they let him go. Ridiculous. Did he not think Jankovich and ISU didn't have any complaints about some of the calls? Let me tell you, no one in the press room was crying any tears to see Marshall drive down the road home to Wichita on Saturday night.
by jbenson3/4/2012 6:30:05 PM 12:30 PM yesterday

When they told him he had wait, he dropped several f-bombs. So they let him go.

Just my opinion, but that's a little different than Marshall asked three separate individuals for permission to go into the media conference room to get it over with.

In all three cases, permission was granted.

Thanks for posting that and i give credit to your guy for printing it. It is certainly a different story than what most were led to believe.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » March 6th, 2012, 11:59 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
Doug Elgin wrote:Elgin, in his 24th season with the Valley, downplayed the exchange he had with Marshall.

“I don’t think it was a spat,” he said. “I wasn’t mad. It’s emotional. It’s an emotional basketball game. I can understand a coach being upset after losing a game like that. I was not angry. If I looked angry, I wasn’t angry. I was feeling emotion, too.”

Evidently Doug Elgin realizes he works for WSU, not the other way around.

Or Elgin, being a professional, decides to downplay the incident in the press rather than pouring gasoline on it. That is what professionals do (at least outside of the city of Wichita).

Evidently it not a bid deal then. If Marshall went beyond some limit he would have been publically reprimanded (talk to Greg McDermott - he knows about having members of his staff be reprimanded and suspended when they cross the line and break rules)
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » March 6th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Oh my goodness, I just lost a lot of respect for Greg McDermott.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball