MVC School Recruiting Budgets

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC School Recruiting Budgets

Postby shocktheheart » March 8th, 2012, 10:05 am

If Drake's recruiting budget is so small, how has Phelps landed players from all over the country? Not many players on the roster from within the geographical area of the MVC.[/quote]

IMO, 2008 success, coaching connections, ability to identify MVC level talent, hard work, and some good luck.[/quote]
Given the age of their best players, and the average time it takes for a big run to pay off in recruiting, the bolded part seems about right.[/quote]

WSU and Bradley are still waiting for the payoff from the 06 sweet 16 run.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » March 8th, 2012, 10:14 am

unipanther99 wrote:Greg McDermott's salary should be included as part of Creighton's recruiting budget. 8-)

:D Zing!
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 8th, 2012, 1:18 pm

shocktheheart wrote:If Drake's recruiting budget is so small, how has Phelps landed players from all over the country? Not many players on the roster from within the geographical area of the MVC.

IMO, 2008 success, coaching connections, ability to identify MVC level talent, hard work, and some good luck.[/quote]
Given the age of their best players, and the average time it takes for a big run to pay off in recruiting, the bolded part seems about right.[/quote]

WSU and Bradley are still waiting for the payoff from the 06 sweet 16 run.[/quote]
Bradley...yes.

I'd say WSU's SR class would be the pay off. Some teams it comes quick, other teams right after. I'd say the recruits (the seniors were part of the 07/08 class if I'm not mistaken) would be it...unless they all committed before the S16
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » March 8th, 2012, 4:56 pm

None of them committed prior to the sweet 16. None of the even committed to a single staffer that was here during the sweet 16.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 8th, 2012, 5:38 pm

Wufan wrote:None of them committed prior to the sweet 16. None of the even committed to a single staffer that was here during the sweet 16.

Doesn't mean the S16 didn't get their attention and when the new staff showed interested they were all over it.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » March 8th, 2012, 5:50 pm

I read these dollar amounts a few months ago and they were based on 2009 financials if I remember correctly. These numbers, however, are for the entire basketball budget and not just for recruiting. These are the only 3 I remember and I will list approximately as I don't remember the exact number.

CU - $4,000,000
WSU - $3,000,000
ISUr - $1,900,000

Sorry folks but I don't remember the rest of the teams.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » March 8th, 2012, 5:52 pm

uniftw wrote:
Wufan wrote:None of them committed prior to the sweet 16. None of the even committed to a single staffer that was here during the sweet 16.

Doesn't mean the S16 didn't get their attention and when the new staff showed interested they were all over it.

No, but it makes it difficult to say one way or the other what effect it had. It certainly didn't hurt to go to the Sweet 26, but it is difficult to draw a direct corellation between the tourney success and the 2008 recruiting class.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball