WSU's Gregg Marshall Publicly Reprimanded by MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU's Gregg Marshall Publicly Reprimanded by MVC

Postby shocktheheart » March 8th, 2012, 7:57 pm

MoValley John wrote:I haven't been here in a while. Read this thread the other day and checked back today to see if the fire was out. I have no opinion on the matter, other than if it were me, I might have done exactly the same thing Marshall did, I don't know.

That said, I feel compelled to say, I have had nothing to do with this debacle of a thread.

Welcome back! This place is better when you are here.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TylerDurden » March 8th, 2012, 8:13 pm

rlh04d wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:The bold and underlined part is 100 percent incorrect. That guy isn't respectful to league personnel, WSU staffers, reporters, etc.

There isn't a conspiracy against WSU or a vendetta against Gregg Marshall. The reality is that WSU has GM as its coach because of Elgin and now you all think Elgin is out to get him and WSU?

That guy has pulled the wool over the eyes of many, many Shocker fans. He's a wolf in sheep's clothing. He'll say all the right things to the WSU fans and they'll love him for it. But he isn't fooling anyone else.

He can put a team together -- I'll never deny that -- but he's not a victim here.

It's 100% incorrect? So he is not respectful to his players? Did he by chance berate and headbutt one of them on the sidelines of a major game? I'd be interested in any proof you have of that. I have personally never seen a case of Marshall not being respectful to people, with the possible exception of this where he may or may not have cut off the ISU coach for the press conference, and said mean things about the MVC. I have never seen any controversy about him being disrespectful to any member of his team or anyone around the WSU program.

Maybe I missed some key piece of information that makes him a monster ... it's entirely possible. I'd like to read the story if you can link one. I'd assume that from calling him Bob Knight, Jr., you of course have stories that have him choking his players, assaulting police officers, and throwing potted plants at college officials.

I didn't say he was a victim. I said comparing him to Bob Knight is stupid. I also specifically said any sort of conspiracy theory is stupid ... the fact is that WSU shot 33%, and didn't score a FG for the final 7 minutes of the game, so of course they lost. And I said that the opinions of people who are not WSU fans about WSU's coach is less than meaningless. I'm sure they hate your coach, too.

You have my confused with someone else. I never associated him with Bob Knight.

It is ironic that you are asking for proof of something and turn around and throw in a "may or may not have" about the presser when it was reported by more than one writer. First-hand reports generally serve as proof, no?

I have no doubts what you say you think is true and that you personally have never seen the disrespect from GM, but there are several people that have seen it and know about it very well.

It's probably time for this thread to die/be locked.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 8th, 2012, 8:33 pm

When the movie comes out we can say we were there.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 8th, 2012, 8:39 pm

TylerDurden wrote:You have my confused with someone else. I never associated him with Bob Knight.

It is ironic that you are asking for proof of something and turn around and throw in a "may or may not have" about the presser when it was reported by more than one writer. First-hand reports generally serve as proof, no?

I have no doubts what you say you think is true and that you personally have never seen the disrespect from GM, but there are several people that have seen it and know about it very well.

It's probably time for this thread to die/be locked.

I assumed if you're disagreeing with a post that was almost entirely about him not resembling Bob Knight then that meant you probably agreed with the initial hypothesis :)

I threw in "may or may not have" because I've heard conflicting reports on the incident. Granted, the conflicting side of that was from Marshall himself, but I haven't seen anything actually reported on it, or anything from the IllState coach, just second-hand information from here. I might have missed something on it, but I haven't seen anything that convinces me that Marshall is lying.

And I can only go off of what I've seen, and what I've heard from around the WSU program and fans. I have never seen Marshall be disrespectful to the people around him, and I have never heard accounts of it from people in Wichita. I'm sure you can also understand why I might take accounts from people who might have an axe to grind against a rival coach with a pinch of salt.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » March 8th, 2012, 10:11 pm

This is lunacy.

I talked to Gregg Marshall on the phone when he was a coach at Winthrop University and I observed him in action on the sideline and during interviews while he was at Winthrop and since he has moved to WSU. He has always been a competitor and emotional and defensive of his teams. The guy wins. He builds and establishes PROGRAMS. Give him a break.

Could he have been slightly more diplomatic and tactful after the game? Yeah.

Could I have been slightly more diplomatic and tactful to the drunk Creighton University students in the elevator? Yeah?

Do either of us regret our reaction? No.

If either of us had to do it again would we probably be more tactful and diplomatic? Yes.

Can we stop talking bad about the WSU coach and start getting behind the Shockers and the Bluejays as they get ready to kick some azz? I hope so.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 9th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Okay so I watched the presser today. It wasn't as overtly bad as most people made it out to be. There were a few quotes that stood out, but in what I watched he didn't come flat out and say the conference got what they wanted. I don't know if that wasn't in the part they have on the MVC site or what.

The one I thought was the worst was when he was talking about Stutz:

"It didn't seem like they wanted to see him play too much"

Obviously you can read between any lines you want. It wasn't as overt though as many non-Wichita fans would like you to think on here.

Sorry for dredging this up again I had just watched the presser and wanted to give my thoughts.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby kochhead22 » March 9th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Ace Dad wrote:This is lunacy.

I talked to Gregg Marshall on the phone when he was a coach at Winthrop University and I observed him in action on the sideline and during interviews while he was at Winthrop and since he has moved to WSU. He has always been a competitor and emotional and defensive of his teams. The guy wins. He builds and establishes PROGRAMS. Give him a break.

Could he have been slightly more diplomatic and tactful after the game? Yeah.

Could I have been slightly more diplomatic and tactful to the drunk Creighton University students in the elevator? Yeah?

Do either of us regret our reaction? No.

If either of us had to do it again would we probably be more tactful and diplomatic? Yes.

Can we stop talking bad about the WSU coach and start getting behind the Shockers and the Bluejays as they get ready to kick some azz? I hope so.

You sir, over the last few months, have become one of my favorite posters to read!

But going back to St.Louis i still dont think i could have been diplomatic with the drunk creighton fans that i encountered!!
kochhead22
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby LanceShock » March 9th, 2012, 9:33 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:The one I thought was the worst was when he was talking about Stutz:

"It didn't seem like they wanted to see him play too much"

You can pretty much make that statement after any game where one Valley team has a dominate post player.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball