NCAA - Wichita State vs VCU - Thursday 6:15pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NCAA - Wichita State vs VCU - Thursday 6:15pm

Postby Kyle » March 15th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Very low, but Marshall has brought this reputation on himself.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pawball » March 15th, 2012, 10:49 pm

Just finished watching the game on DVR. My impressions: dam,that was a good game, even tho both teams made sloppy turnovers. It took Wichita too long to adjust to the VCU pressure. OTOH, I thot VCU eased off the pressure in the second half. Maybe VCU was feeling it physically.

From just a Shocker point of view, I thot the game was lost due to these things:
.Ragland came out to start the game looking very, very tight and did not loosen up until 2nd half
.Murry tried to put the game on his shoulders during a stretch mid to late in the second half and made some unfortunate errors
.Stutz never got a chance to get in a rhythm. Maybe Marshall shouldn't have yanked him so quick in the 2nd half.

Too bad. This was a Shocker team that was made to go further than here. OTOH, VCU is a very strong-willed team. The look on the face of Burgess after he nailed the last trey VCU made said a lot.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shocker3 » March 15th, 2012, 11:51 pm

glm38 wrote:
MVCfans wrote:
glm38 wrote:I feel bad for all the seniors on WSU. They seemed like a good group of guys.

We really need CU to win at least a couple. Otherwise this will end up being a disappointing year for the MVC.

This has been an amazing year for the MVC regardless of the NCAA tournament and it's unfortunate that all we remember is March. Two teams ranked in the final AP Top 20 is pretty damn good if you asked me.

I agree with you to some extent. It was a good year overall for the MVC. But if CU doesn't make some noise you can't tell me that's not disappointing? How often do we have 2 teams that talented in the big tournament? Very seldom. If one of them doesn't get to the sweet sixteen that's VERY disappointing. Particularly in a year when the MVC was getting some love from the national media.

Go Jays! It will be a huge disappointement if both Valley teams fail to get a win in the big dance. I agree that we really needed to get a team to the sweet 16, but the Bluejays getting screwed with that #8 seed is going to make that very tough.
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 16th, 2012, 7:19 am

Regardless of how deep of a run WSU or Creighton were to make. Both made their impression on the sports world this year and did place the Valley in a very favorable light. The Valley will be tough again next year and WSU/Creighton helped enable the way for multiple bids next year. There is so much parity in college basketball the seedings are almost a non-factor.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » March 16th, 2012, 7:24 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:Regardless of how deep of a run WSU or Creighton were to make. Both made their impression on the sports world this year and did place the Valley in a very favorable light. The Valley will be tough again next year and WSU/Creighton helped enable the way for multiple bids next year. There is so much parity in college basketball the seedings are almost a non-factor.

That doesn't make any sense. Great teams pave the way for themselves to get bids. Not teams from the previous year. Teams in the valley could sh*t the bed next year and the committee isn't going to give us extra bids because WSU and CU were great the year before.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 16th, 2012, 7:39 am

BirdmanBB wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:Regardless of how deep of a run WSU or Creighton were to make. Both made their impression on the sports world this year and did place the Valley in a very favorable light. The Valley will be tough again next year and WSU/Creighton helped enable the way for multiple bids next year. There is so much parity in college basketball the seedings are almost a non-factor.

That doesn't make any sense. Great teams pave the way for themselves to get bids. Not teams from the previous year. Teams in the valley could sh*t the bed next year and the committee isn't going to give us extra bids because WSU and CU were great the year before.

Re-read. I said the Valley will be tough next year meaning teams will win and be "good". Plus good press like this year and multiple bids always helps from a media prospective and overall impression of the conference.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » March 16th, 2012, 7:48 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:
Re-read. I said the Valley will be tough next year meaning teams will win and be "good". Plus good press like this year and multiple bids always helps from a media prospective and overall impression of the conference.

If I were a neutral observer, the impression I would have gotten yesterday was CAA > MVC.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » March 16th, 2012, 9:08 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:
BirdmanBB wrote:

Nothing beats media perspective like a well rounded resume. Winning helps your impression.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaliRdBrd » March 16th, 2012, 10:12 am

glm38 wrote:
MVCfans wrote:
glm38 wrote:I feel bad for all the seniors on WSU. They seemed like a good group of guys.

We really need CU to win at least a couple. Otherwise this will end up being a disappointing year for the MVC.

This has been an amazing year for the MVC regardless of the NCAA tournament and it's unfortunate that all we remember is March. Two teams ranked in the final AP Top 20 is pretty damn good if you asked me.

I agree with you to some extent. It was a good year overall for the MVC. But if CU doesn't make some noise you can't tell me that's not disappointing? How often do we have 2 teams that talented in the big tournament? Very seldom. If one of them doesn't get to the sweet sixteen that's VERY disappointing. Particularly in a year when the MVC was getting some love from the national media.

Totally agree. If both get knocked out in the first round, it will be difficult to get any love in the future. That being said, clearly VCU is not a 12 seed.
CaliRdBrd
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby NeutralObserver » March 16th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Wichita's upset loss (although Obama called it) along with Evansville & Indiana States losses in home games in the lesser tournaments are affecting the media perspective of the league in a negative manner right now. Thank God Illinois State and Northern Iowa won NIT games that they were not supposed to win and Drake is also a winner. Creighton almost missed enough free throws at the end to choke the big one but managed to win. Somewhat ironic that they had to count on their defense to win the game as it has not been what they are known for at all this season. Maybe they can knock off the Superstars from Chapel Hill and really put the league back on the map? Come on Bluejays...........git'r done!

:Yea!: :D
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball