Omaha.com: Marshall turns down NU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby jaysfan24 » March 20th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Greggggg turns down the basketball powerhouse that is Nebraska-Lincoln. Offer was 2 million+.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120320/N ... ns-down-nu
jaysfan24
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Omaha.com: Marshall turns down NU

Postby Ace Dad » March 20th, 2012, 9:32 pm

I love how the sources are told to spread the story but not your name.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » March 20th, 2012, 10:39 pm

These coaching searches become more comical by the year. If that article is to be believed 100 percent, Tom Osborne is the most incompetent AD out there when it comes to running a search.

Got to love anonymous sources. And you better believe that coaches' agents call these schools (search firms) with job openings and ask that their guy's name gets dropped during the search, which they happily do through the source. Then they take that back to school X and say, "See, my guy is hot. He needs a raise to stay."

I have no doubt Nebraska would love to land Marshall, Few, Howland, Boyle, Smart, Groce, etc...but I'm betting at least half of those guys fall in the name dropping category I just described -- especially Groce and Boyle.

Does anyone here think they'll land a coach that can get them away from the bottom of the Big Ten?
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » March 20th, 2012, 10:48 pm

Sounds like a load of crap if you ask me.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shockerfan13 » March 20th, 2012, 11:10 pm

valleychamp wrote:Sounds like a load of crap if you ask me.

LOL No surprise coming from you. And no one did ask you, but thanks.....
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jaybydna » March 21st, 2012, 5:10 am

TylerDurden wrote:These coaching searches become more comical by the year. If that article is to be believed 100 percent, Tom Osborne is the most incompetent AD out there when it comes to running a search.

Got to love anonymous sources. And you better believe that coaches' agents call these schools (search firms) with job openings and ask that their guy's name gets dropped during the search, which they happily do through the source. Then they take that back to school X and say, "See, my guy is hot. He needs a raise to stay."

I have no doubt Nebraska would love to land Marshall, Few, Howland, Boyle, Smart, Groce, etc...but I'm betting at least half of those guys fall in the name dropping category I just described -- especially Groce and Boyle.

Does anyone here think they'll land a coach that can get them away from the bottom of the Big Ten?

Not that I doubt what you are saying about agents, but while would schools be involved? Now Nebraska looks like the job that no one wants to work for?

For the record, I have no doubt he was on the list, probably interviewed, was probably offeed and obviously turned it down. $2M is suspect though for a basketball coach at a football-only school.
jaybydna
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Village Jay » March 21st, 2012, 7:50 am

Sounds like Marshall just announced to the world his minimum asking price, unless you are of course Nebraska.
Village Jay
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby PorkTornado » March 21st, 2012, 7:52 am

Say what you will about Marshall, but he's not an idiot. I wouldn't take $2mil to waltz right into quick sand.
PorkTornado
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ali » March 21st, 2012, 8:15 am

Wow, surprised Tom Osborne would go that direction. Will Altman want the job now that Oregon is done and he obviously wasn't the first choice?
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ali » March 21st, 2012, 8:16 am

What is Marshall's buyout?
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball