Non CU/WSU fans - whose season would you rather have?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby GrandpaBear » March 22nd, 2012, 9:04 am

It's an old debate, but I wondered what non CU/WSU fans would choose: a dominating regular season follow ed by a conference tourney loss and NCAA loss or a subpar regular season when picked first, but a tournament title and an NCAA win.

I think the regular season is the better accomplsihment, but as a MSU fan I'd take an NCAA win given the choice.
GrandpaBear
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Non CU/WSU fans - whose season would you rather have?

Postby TylerDurden » March 22nd, 2012, 9:25 am

Here's what we're comparing:
26-4 regular season (27-6), 16-2 league record, L in conference tournament semi and L in NCAA 1st round.
25-5 regular season (29-6), 14-4 league record, conference tournament title and NCAA win, L in NCAA 2nd round.

I'm aware that the NCAA calls them 2nd and 3rd rounds, but that's ridiculous, IMO :)
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ferd Berfel » March 22nd, 2012, 9:45 am

I would rather lose in the second round in lieu of the first round.
Ferd Berfel
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby beatingrillz » March 22nd, 2012, 10:07 am

I would take either, that said CU had the better year overall.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » March 22nd, 2012, 10:19 am

Tossup. But I would take either.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » March 22nd, 2012, 10:25 am

I agree. I think both are equal. If I had a gun to my head then i'll go CU with the NCAA win knowing mostly everyone is back the next season.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CUJay » March 22nd, 2012, 10:29 am

CU was ranked in the AP and Coaches' Poll for much of the season, whereas WSU only started being ranked late in the year. CU also got a lot of national attention all year since it had an All American on the team who finished third in the nation in points per game.
CUJay
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby iSASO » March 22nd, 2012, 11:44 am

CUJay wrote:CU was ranked in the AP and Coaches' Poll for much of the season, whereas WSU only started being ranked late in the year. CU also got a lot of national attention all year since it had an All American on the team who finished third in the nation in points per game.

Wasn't that a question for non-CU and WSU fans to answer?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby give me heart » March 22nd, 2012, 11:49 am

TylerDurden wrote:Here's what we're comparing:
26-4 regular season (27-6), 16-2 league record, L in conference tournament semi and L in NCAA 1st round.
25-5 regular season (29-6), 14-4 league record, conference tournament title and NCAA win, L in NCAA 2nd round.

I'm aware that the NCAA calls them 2nd and 3rd rounds, but that's ridiculous, IMO :)

Why would you list the conference tournament title and not the outright conference title. The conference league title is an impressive feat. It's not just getting lucky for three days in St Louis as so many have posted.
As for winning games in the NCAA, so much of that has to do with match ups. Now, taking it all in I would take hmmm, guess it would be CUs because it's all about extending your season and they did that. Tough one though because of WSUs win at Creighton and their valley dominance this year.
give me heart
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » March 22nd, 2012, 12:15 pm

Winning the regular season conference championship should be the biggest accomplishment outside of a deep run in the NCAA's, but it just isn't viewed that way. You are judged strictly by NCAA Tournament appearances and NCAA Tournament wins, period. Until conference tournaments are done away with, hardly anyone will remember regular season championships. This is just as unfortunate and illogical as it is absolutely true. I believe this just as strongly this year when it benefitted one of my teams (Creighton), as I did last year when it torpedoed one of my teams (Missouri State).
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball