Who Has the Best Coach in the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who Has the Best Coach in the MVC?

Postby DoubleJayAlum » June 22nd, 2012, 10:43 am

unipanther99 wrote:I'm not going to argue that Ben's teams are more athletic than Mac's UNI teams. I don't really think there is much difference. I will say that both Ben Jacobson (the player) and Grant Stout were called slow and unathletic ---compared to other Valley players at the time--- by several posters on the old board.

I don't recall that; I do know that on the old board many considered Jacobson to be the best player in the league many times.

Nevertheless, the post I quoted said "athleticism/talent". It was really the "talent" part of that statement I take issue with. I didn't touch the "athleticism" tag because it isn't like BJ's best teams were really all that athletic anyway...

I think there is a certain segment of the UNi fanbase that looks to minimize anything McDermott accomplished at UNI because of his departure to Iowa St, the fact that he is now at Creighton and the whole drama involving his son.
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on June 22nd, 2012, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » June 22nd, 2012, 10:57 am

The biggest difference between Mac and Jake's teams at UNI is depth and overall quality. Mac liked to play about 7 guys both while at UNI and ISU. Jake's teams typically have depth and can run 9-11 deep ideally.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » June 22nd, 2012, 12:43 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
I think there is a certain segment of the UNi fanbase that looks to minimize anything McDermott accomplished at UNI because of his departure to Iowa St, the fact that he is now at Creighton and the whole drama involving his son.

That's a fair comment. As for me, I don't care for McDermott at all now after what has happened, but I am still very proud of what UNI accomplished under his tenure.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby 1972Shocker » June 22nd, 2012, 4:42 pm

The MVC has generally been a well-coached league over the years. It's difficult for a fan to make an honest assessment because 1) we are generally naturally biased for our own guy (or perhaps against if he is not doing well) and 2) we generally don't really know as much as we think we do (at least I'm confident I am in that category).

Right now I have to say it clearly boils down to Gregg Marshall, Greg McDermott and Ben Jacobson (alphabetized by last name). Not sure there is really that much to chose between the three of them. All are very solid coaches with good track records.

I think Marty Simmons does a good job at Evansville.

I think the jury is still out on Greg Lansing at INS. I thought they would be much better than they were last year.

Geno Ford and Barry Hinson have decent resume's at their previous stops with Hinson's being in the MVC. Both have a lot of work ahead of them at Bradley and SIU. They get those programs turned around in a few more years (which I hope happens) then they will both deserve some recognition.

Not sure how things will work out for Mark Phelps at Drake and Paul Lusk at MSU. I thought the Bears may have quit on Coach Lusk at the end of last year. Coach Phelps not being able to keep Rayvonte Rice in the fold at Drake was not a good thing.

Dan Muller at ILS has a clean slate so time will tell will tell with him. Like his scheduling philosophy so far vs his predecessor. He sure is walking into a pretty nice situation with the talent Jank left behind.

Overall though I think the MVC generally has solid coaches (especially now that SIU has finally canned Chris Lowery). But we also have quite a few question marks which can go either way I suppose.
1972Shocker
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby glm38 » June 24th, 2012, 8:31 pm

troutangler wrote:I see some of our fans haven't made it on this thread yet to tell you guys that Lusk is the best coach in the Valley. :roll:

My vote is Jacobson.

Obviously no Bear fans have made that statement because it would be ridiculous at this point. :Bam:

MHO is jacobsen is #1 in the mvc. Although it's close between him and Marshal. Don't see any others close to those 2.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » June 25th, 2012, 9:54 am

1972Shocker wrote:Coach Phelps not being able to keep Rayvonte Rice in the fold at Drake was not a good thing.

As talented as Rice is, this may be a case of addition by subtraction. Kind of like Creighton and P'Allen Stinnett.

When Rice came in to the office to say he was leaving, Phelps did not try to talk him out of it. That should tell you all you need to know. :Cheers:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Red » June 25th, 2012, 12:50 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
1972Shocker wrote:Coach Phelps not being able to keep Rayvonte Rice in the fold at Drake was not a good thing.

As talented as Rice is, this may be a case of addition by subtraction. Kind of like Creighton and P'Allen Stinnett.

When Rice came in to the office to say he was leaving, Phelps did not try to talk him out of it. That should tell you all you need to know. :Cheers:

That may be true but unless you have someone to replace his production it could be a long year for Phelps.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball