2012 - '13 MVC Non-Conf. schedules

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2012 - '13 MVC Non-Conf. schedules

Postby Jays26 » August 6th, 2012, 9:37 am

valleychamp wrote:
Jays26 wrote:
Hey, don't get me wrong, I will be rooting for UNI to win all 3 games. But to answer your question, yes, if they lose all 3 even if they pick up another nice win or 2 from those teams you mention I think as it has been shown in the past the selection comm will leave them out and the only hope would be you winning in St. Lou.(ok, maybe if you run the table in the league also)

I think it will be huge for the Jays to beat the Badgers also, maybe not a must win because of all the pre-season pub they are getting but it will be a great start. I think it"s a pretty good bet that if the Jays do what they should this year, they are a shoe-in for the tourney. UNI has a much smaller margin for error.

Creighton has a much larger margin for error because of hype? Huh? I hope you dont really believe that. If they dont get quality wins, they will not get in, creighton included. Being preseason ranked is not going to be worth anything come March if you do not have the resume to back it up. UNI's margin is no smaller than creightons, and may in fact be larger taking into account a significantly stronger schedule.

Wrong!

Read what I wrote. Creighton will start the season in the top 25, fact. I said "if" Creighton does what is expected of them thru the season, they are in. And if you believe going into the season UNI's margin is larger than Creighton's, I want what you are smoking.

And your comparing 1 game (Wisc) to 3 games. No comparison, I am saying IF UNI goes 0-3 they won't get an at-large.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red » August 6th, 2012, 10:10 am

UNI should have a really tough SOS. If push comes to shove on selection day and UNI has a couple of good wins with an overall SOS that's fantastic, they'll get in.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » August 6th, 2012, 10:18 am

Jays26 wrote:
valleychamp wrote:
Jays26 wrote:
Hey, don't get me wrong, I will be rooting for UNI to win all 3 games. But to answer your question, yes, if they lose all 3 even if they pick up another nice win or 2 from those teams you mention I think as it has been shown in the past the selection comm will leave them out and the only hope would be you winning in St. Lou.(ok, maybe if you run the table in the league also)

I think it will be huge for the Jays to beat the Badgers also, maybe not a must win because of all the pre-season pub they are getting but it will be a great start. I think it"s a pretty good bet that if the Jays do what they should this year, they are a shoe-in for the tourney. UNI has a much smaller margin for error.

Creighton has a much larger margin for error because of hype? Huh? I hope you dont really believe that. If they dont get quality wins, they will not get in, creighton included. Being preseason ranked is not going to be worth anything come March if you do not have the resume to back it up. UNI's margin is no smaller than creightons, and may in fact be larger taking into account a significantly stronger schedule.

Wrong!

Read what I wrote. Creighton will start the season in the top 25, fact. I said "if" Creighton does what is expected of them thru the season, they are in. And if you believe going into the season UNI's margin is larger than Creighton's, I want what you are smoking.

And your comparing 1 game (Wisc) to 3 games. No comparison, I am saying IF UNI goes 0-3 they won't get an at-large.

Explain to me how being preseason ranked is going to help Creighton get into the tournament in March. Explain to me how Creighton has a larger "margin for error" with an inferior schedule.

How does Creighton have a greater margin for error when they have fewer opportunities to pick up good wins than UNI does?
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jays26 » August 6th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Explain to me how being preseason ranked is going to help Creighton get into the tournament in March. Explain to me how Creighton has a larger "margin for error" with an inferior schedule.

How does Creighton have a greater margin for error when they have fewer opportunities to pick up good wins than UNI does?

Ok..I will make this real easy for you because you pretty much keep asking the same question.

Creighton starts the year ranked in the top 20. Slips up in a game or two but overall has a solid season like all are predicting.

UNI starts somewhere FAR below that. Goes 0-3 in the early tourney.

Now, who do you think has the smaller margin for error?

It isn't that tough to figure this stuff out.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » August 6th, 2012, 3:42 pm

You are mistaking rankings for achievement. Being ranked, especially during the preseason, does nothing for you except buy some publicity. You still have to go out and win games, and beat good teams. Which, in this case, UNI has more opportunities to do so. Its pretty simple.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » August 6th, 2012, 3:56 pm

I think what Jays26 is trying to convey is that being ranked helps somewhat. If Creighton loses a game in non-conference (to Wisconsin), we probably will stay ranked and still make the tourney (even though our non-conference schedule looks weaker than UNI's). UNI would probably have to win 2 of 3 in Atlantis and probably beat UNLV just to get ranked. Usually, being ranked correlates with NCAA bid (w/a couple exceptions, like Utah State a few years back). Of course this doesn't factor in league play.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jays26 » August 6th, 2012, 4:12 pm

I thought what I was saying was pretty simple. My point was, 0-3 for UNI in that tourney and the at-large chance is shot, no achievement made by UNI.

And Creighton being ranked does make a difference over UNI and their road is easier. Still have to win games, no doubt.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that we have the Doug factor also. :Yea!:
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » August 6th, 2012, 9:27 pm

In 2004-05 UNI got beat in double-overtime by a good Cincinnati team in a preseason tournament. It was our one shot at a statement non-conference win. We did beat Iowa State that year, but otherwise it was pretty lackluster in the non-conference. We finished 12-6 in the MVC, lost to MSU in the first round in St. Louis and still got an at large.

It definitely matters that you put together a challenging schedule, but one game or even one tournament in the non-conference does not make or break a season.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Jays26 » August 7th, 2012, 8:01 am

In 2009 Creighton went off to an early season Tourney and went 0-3 and never really recovered.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » August 7th, 2012, 8:58 am

CMon guys. If UNI goes 0-3 in their tournament but defeats UNLV, Iowa, George Mason, St. Mary's and splits with Creighton they'd get in. No doubt as long as they take care of their other business.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball