Newcomer of the year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Newcomer of the year

Postby shock » June 14th, 2012, 1:50 am

Brag it up. Who on your team will be newcomer of the year, either for your team only or will be the best in the Valley?

WSU- Ron Baker will win Valley NOTY. WSU's best newcomer will be Cle or Wiggins. All three could start anywhere in the Valley except CU. Well, at least not over Dougie.
Our last five are still collectively better than your starting lineup.
shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Newcomer of the year

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Newcomer of the year

Postby ShockValue » June 14th, 2012, 7:23 am

I could be wrong but I think Armstead is our best chance for NOY. I assume he'll start and get lots of minutes and that might allow FVV to redshirt.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » June 14th, 2012, 7:56 am

Redshirt freshman Nevin Johnson is probably CU's best candidate for FOY/NOY, but he won't beable to garner the playing time that many of the other candidates will since Creighton returns 4 starters.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 14th, 2012, 10:37 am

UNI's best chance? Well, really only chance is Chris Olivier.

I doubt he'll get the award though. With only losing 1 player from last years squad the minutes will be there (Due to position) for Olivier, but I'm not sure the points will be.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » June 14th, 2012, 10:44 am

This will be the only award a non-McDermott will win.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bcg » June 14th, 2012, 10:48 am

Bradley only has three new guys this year since the two transfers have to sit out a year. Tyshon Pickett put up the usual numbers at the juco level. If he's any good, he'll getting plenty of playing time at the power forward position to put up good numbers at the D1 level.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » June 14th, 2012, 11:53 am

Drake is bringing in 8 new players, but all 5 returnees are starters....not sure which of the new guys will get enough minutes to be considered for the award. I'm guessing that Richard Carter or Chris Hines will get the most minutes of the new guys, at least early in the season.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BirdmanBB » June 14th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Redbirds only chance at this would be Kaza Keane, assuming he wins the starting role at PG from the get go. Not sure our other newcomer Nick Zeisloft will get the playing time necessary to make a dent on this award.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shockerfan13 » June 14th, 2012, 6:55 pm

I think WSU has a number of possible candidates. Mostly just because they have the most minutes to replace from last year. Alot of newcomers from WSU could see significant playing time which will boost their resume for this award should they prove to be as good as they appear.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » June 16th, 2012, 1:55 pm

uniftw wrote:UNI's best chance? Well, really only chance is Chris Olivier.

I doubt he'll get the award though. With only losing 1 player from last years squad the minutes will be there (Due to position) for Olivier, but I'm not sure the points will be.

Olivier has a chance, but I think his role will be to combine with Pehl to be a big body to bang inside and take some heat off Tuttle.

Matt Bohannon may have a better chance given his chance to step into Johnny Moran's minutes. Someone will need to fill the minutes and if Bohannon can shoot like he has shown in practice, he'll be the outside range threat the Panthers need.

Nate Buss may also be the kind of tall, outside shooter-think Ben Simons and Ethan Wragge, to give a different dimension, but I don't know if he'll qualify for newcomer as sophomore who sat out most of last year with an injury.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball