Does McDermott stay 4 years or go pro early?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby ihsi » June 20th, 2012, 9:12 am

I've always believed he'd be at Creighton 4 years until Gottlieb said the other night that he could be a lottery pick this year. If that's the case or if he wins National POY, I think it would be harder to come back.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Does McDermott stay 4 years or go pro early?

Postby ictjay » June 20th, 2012, 9:19 am

ihsi wrote:I've always believed he'd be at Creighton 4 years until Gottlieb said the other night that he could be a lottery pick this year. If that's the case or if he wins National POY, I think it would be harder to come back.

If he improves as dramatically as he did from Fr to Soph, I would say he is gone. 3 months ago I would have said no way but latley I've been hearing on how he is working to improve ballhandling/defense, and with his work ethics, nothing would surprise me.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby beltwaybluejay » June 20th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Sometimes I think that Gottlieb is more of a delusional Jay fan than I am!
beltwaybluejay
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Ali » June 26th, 2012, 7:27 am

If his dad wasn't coach, he might go. I think he'll stay though.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » June 26th, 2012, 7:35 am

I think he goes if he and his dad feel that his stock is at it's highest after next season and can only leave open the potential for that being hurt by playing another season for Creighton. He seems like the type of guy that would make sure to finish up school and get his degree eventually. School will always be there, but his NBA draft stock won't. Go after the most dollars when you can and secure your future.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 26th, 2012, 7:54 am

BirdmanBB wrote:I think he goes if he and his dad feel that his stock is at it's highest after next season and can only leave open the potential for that being hurt by playing another season for Creighton. He seems like the type of guy that would make sure to finish up school and get his degree eventually. School will always be there, but his NBA draft stock won't. Go after the most dollars when you can and secure your future.

Is daddy looking for an NBA job?

Sorry..... :D :buddies:
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » June 26th, 2012, 9:15 am

As much as I hate it, if he becomes a lottery pick, he has to go.

If he's a second round pick, he comes back.

The gray area is if he's a late first round pick.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » June 29th, 2012, 3:19 pm

If Royce White can be a top 16 pick in a fairly deep draft pool, then McDermott should be a top-10 pick. He'll (hopefully) go
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheShock » June 29th, 2012, 3:39 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:If Royce White can be a top 16 pick in a fairly deep draft pool, then McDermott should be a top-10 pick. He'll (hopefully) go

Hopefully not!

For the Valley’s sake, I hope he’s projected just out of the top 10 in next year’s draft. Once he graduates, I hope he’s the #1 overall pick (likely not, but it’s OK to dream). There’s going to be a handful of very good players in the Valley the next couple of years and hopefully Doug and a few more will end up playing in the NBA. The Valley needs all the good press it can get… it helps all of us. The national attention that Doug and Creighton will receive this year and next will only improve the leagues image and enhance recruiting.
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PantherSigEp » June 29th, 2012, 3:45 pm

TheShock wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:If Royce White can be a top 16 pick in a fairly deep draft pool, then McDermott should be a top-10 pick. He'll (hopefully) go

Hopefully not!

For the Valley’s sake, I hope he’s projected just out of the top 10 in next year’s draft. Once he graduates, I hope he’s the #1 overall pick (likely not, but it’s OK to dream). There’s going to be a handful of very good players in the Valley the next couple of years and hopefully Doug and a few more will end up playing in the NBA. The Valley needs all the good press it can get… it helps all of us. The national attention that Doug and Creighton will receive this year and next will only improve the leagues image and enhance recruiting.

True. Playing him against him is always bittersweet for me knowing what could've been. I hope he goes to the NBA and really makes a name for himself but for now I wouldn't mind him laying a few eggs against the Panthers next season (and maybe the next one). It is an interesting situation for him compared to most players with his talent who usually have little connection to their school (and education) outside of playing basketball, so they take off early
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball