Best Valley players in the 2000's

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best Valley players in the 2000's

Postby MoBraves » July 2nd, 2012, 11:56 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:I was thinking of all the great players to play in the MVC in the last 12 years, so I'm going to list the best 10 players on each team,in my opinion. Share who you think your teams best were, and other schools!
Bradley
1. Marcellus Sommerville 2.Daniel Ruffin 3.Patrick O'Bryant 4.Andrew Warren 5.Will Franklin 6.Taylor Brown 7.Sam Maniscalco 8.Jeremy Crouch 9. Theron Wilson 10.Dyricus Simms Edwards

Not too bad...I would put Phil Gilbert on the list - he would have been a lot better had he not been injured so much. I'm not sure if Danny Granger would qualify, but if so, he'd have to be Top 5 unfortunately. Maniscalco ahead of Brown - o.k. - here's my list:

1) Ruffin (because we haven't seen too many athletic, solid PG's in last decade at BU)
2) Sommerville
3) O'Bryant
4) Franklin
5) Crouch - bad sophomore season, but great career.
6) Warren
7) Gilbert
8) Maniscalco
9) Wilson
-----
10) Bennet
10) Brown - time at BU a little too short, but so much potential
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bcg » July 2nd, 2012, 12:01 pm

For Bradley, I would put some guys at the beginning of this time period like James Gillingham or Phillip Gilbert on the list before Taylor Brown. The year and a half stint for Danny Granger could also be considered since he put up some good numbers for a young player.

It was fun reading through these rosters. Thanks

edit - it looks like MoBraves beat me to the punch with Gilbert.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Drakey » July 4th, 2012, 2:22 pm

I agree with DUBulldog's list more for Drake. Interesting that both lists have only two players from the coach who is constantly hyped as a great recruiter, and he lost one of those. Based on these lists it would appear that Kanaskie and Davis both had more recruiting success than Phelps. I think they each had four years, although Davis really only had three recruitng classes.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » July 5th, 2012, 8:02 am

Drakey wrote:I agree with DUBulldog's list more for Drake. Interesting that both lists have only two players from the coach who is constantly hyped as a great recruiter, and he lost one of those.

Have you considered the possibility that he is a good recruiter, but may not be able to develop the talent or effectively use the talent that he recruited?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » July 5th, 2012, 12:00 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Drakey wrote:I agree with DUBulldog's list more for Drake. Interesting that both lists have only two players from the coach who is constantly hyped as a great recruiter, and he lost one of those.

Have you considered the possibility that he is a good recruiter, but may not be able to develop the talent or effectively use the talent that he recruited?

Most of the guys Phelps has recruited still have some eligibility left, so they could still move up. Not the case for the Davis and Kanaskie guys.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Drakey » July 5th, 2012, 3:02 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:

Yes. As more than just a possibility.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby saluki762 » July 5th, 2012, 11:21 pm

I know he was there for only 1 year but Rolan Roberts belongs on SIU's list before Seck does.

Other that that I think the order could be debated but you are spot on with SIU's players.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » July 8th, 2012, 3:13 pm

shock wrote:Paul Miller
PJ Couisnard
Joe Ragland
Jamar Howard
Jason Perez
JT Durley
Garrett Stutz
Tourè Murry
Matt Breauer
Gabe Blair/Aaron Ellis/Carl Hall

Love blair, ellis, and hall, but i'd take kyle wilson over all of them and randy burns over matt breauer.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shock » July 10th, 2012, 8:18 am

I respect Matty more i guess because he had two way different coach with different philosophies and excelled under each. His toughness was also unmatched in the valley. I can still see that pick he ran into and got knocked out. Don't get me wrong, Randy is my favorite player of the Turg era. I just think MB was better
Our last five are still collectively better than your starting lineup.
shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball