What makes you excited for your team next season?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What makes you excited for your team next season?

Postby CBB_Fan » July 13th, 2012, 10:25 am

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
CBB_Fan wrote: more athletic than Drummond this year

Ummmm, No. Just no.

I don't typically post on here, but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read on a message board. Orukpe is not, and never will be, more athletic than Drummond.

It isn't that big of stretch.

Here's a video of Drummond showcasing his athleticism

He is considerably more coordinated than Orukpe, but from a sheer speed/strength perspective I think Orukpe has an advantage. Maybe not last year, but he is considerably improved from a physical perspective (I'd guess him at a lean 260-275). But EO is never going to steal a ball from a guard and dribble it in for a dunk; he just doesn't have the skill. That is the difference between the two.

In this video, Orukpe dunks from just inside the block/charge line, flat-footed. He easily could make the same move a couple feet back.

I could find a few videos of him on a defensive end blocking shots over the rim as well. But more importantly, he is stronger than Drummond. This isn't surprising, because Orupke has nearly 5 years on Drummond and has put considerably more work into his body (surprised if he has 5% body fat). Drummond has the potential to develop more strength.

Drummond wasn't faster/stronger than most bigs, he just seemed to play like he had a smaller body (in a good way). Most big men, including Orupke, move like wooden puppets most of the time, regardless of how high they can jump or how quick their first step is.

For comparison, Drummond's combine stats were: 33.5 inch max vertical, 10 presses of 185 lb, 3.39 3/4 court sprint. He measured 6'9.75 without shoes, with a 7'6.25" wingspan and a 9'1.5" standing reach. I'd guessed EO would be taller, have shorter arms, a similar standing reach, and probably have similar athletic stats (though EO would do more bench press reps).
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby landmark » July 14th, 2012, 8:51 pm

no lowery
no lowery
no lowery
no lowery
no lowery
landmark
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball