What makes you excited for your team next season?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What makes you excited for your team next season?

Postby ictjay » July 11th, 2012, 12:26 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:
ictjay wrote:I see EO playing a similiar role as last year. Mop up. Gotta have the coach's trust.

Wichita has had a thing for their senior centers exploding (Stutz, Durley), so I think Marshall will role the dice on Orukpe. If nothing else he will be good at fouling and blocking shots, and they probably will get most of their low post scoring from Cleanthony Early or Carl Hall at the power forward spot.

Stutz started 14 games as a freshman and Durley was a major force since his freshman year. Valley will be extremely tough next year. You gotta know what you are doing on the court or you'll get eaten alive. You are right though, he will foul alot.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CBB_Fan » July 11th, 2012, 12:44 pm

ictjay wrote:
CBB_Fan wrote:
ictjay wrote:I see EO playing a similiar role as last year. Mop up. Gotta have the coach's trust.

Wichita has had a thing for their senior centers exploding (Stutz, Durley), so I think Marshall will role the dice on Orukpe. If nothing else he will be good at fouling and blocking shots, and they probably will get most of their low post scoring from Cleanthony Early or Carl Hall at the power forward spot.

Stutz started 14 games as a freshman and Durley was a major force since his freshman year. Valley will be extremely tough next year. You gotta know what you are doing on the court or you'll get eaten alive. You are right though, he will foul alot.

Believe or not, I think Wichita State could use some aggressive fouling. They got called for so many wimpy fouls last year (a lot from Stutz being slow). Teams weren't afraid of getting fouled and that was a key factor in the losses to the Redbirds and VCU. If Orukpe can scare some people, he'll help the defense.

You are right about Durley; his junior year stats were almost the same as his senior year stats. I guess my memory was wrong, because I could have sworn he was more impressive as a senior; but his MPG, PPG, RPG, and FG% were practically identical. Stutz had a huge jump though. 10 more MPG, and nearly the points rebounds (and 10% better FT shooting). Very inconsistent though.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » July 11th, 2012, 1:26 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:They got called for so many wimpy fouls last year (a lot from Stutz being slow).

What is a 'wimpy' foul?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CBB_Fan » July 11th, 2012, 2:24 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
CBB_Fan wrote:They got called for so many wimpy fouls last year (a lot from Stutz being slow).

What is a 'wimpy' foul?

A foul that comes from contact, but doesn't impart a lot of force into an offensive player.

Ex: A reach-in call on a player that didn't move their feet.
Ex2: A blocking foul that doesn't push an offensive player from their line of movement.

Both are technically fouls, but neither are physical. Essentially, they are worthless because they simply give the opponents points and free-throws. More physical fouls at least keep them honest (not condoning bludgeoning).
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jays26 » July 11th, 2012, 3:06 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:

What is a 'wimpy' foul?

A foul that comes from contact, but doesn't impart a lot of force into an offensive player.

Ex: A reach-in call on a player that didn't move their feet.
Ex2: A blocking foul that doesn't push an offensive player from their line of movement.

Both are technically fouls, but neither are physical. Essentially, they are worthless because they simply give the opponents points and free-throws. More physical fouls at least keep them honest (not condoning bludgeoning).

Creighton has no idea what a "wimpy" foul is.....just ask North Carolina. :P
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » July 11th, 2012, 3:42 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
CBB_Fan wrote:I think the MVC might have a draft picks next year though, and that would be exciting. McD could be a first rounder with another good year, and Orukpe will get picked because NBA GMs seem to like big guys with low production.

I can't tell if you are serious or not, but I suspect that Echenique is more likely to get drafted than Orukpe.

I'm half serious. I don't think Orukpe's college production is worthy of an NBA draft pick, but I think that he has the chance to improve that his senior year. Also, I think that some GMs are likely to make the mistake of ignoring his actual skills or production because of his size and athleticism.

I'm not sure about Echenique though. He might be a second rounder, but I saw a lot of skilled players from major conferences go undrafted last year. Being a 6'9 center doesn't help.

The last MVC 1st round draft pick was not exactly "lights out" in terms of numbers. Patrick O'Bryant went in the first round but it wasn't based off of his stunning 11.6 ppg 7.8 rpg and 2.8 bpg career numbers. If Orupke can come close to that-or even show a dominance in defensive and rebounding numbers without being a total offensive liability, he may have a chance. I don't see it happening, but you never know. I think a performance akin to O'Bryant's NBA career is more likely in store for Orupke in the MVC.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CBB_Fan » July 11th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Creighton has no idea what a "wimpy" foul is.....just ask North Carolina. :P

UNC is just happy they didn't have to go against Illinois State or old-time SIU.

I'll admit, I did laugh when Henson got a technical in the Creighton/UNC game. If that makes me a bad person, so what.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CBB_Fan » July 11th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:The last MVC 1st round draft pick was not exactly "lights out" in terms of numbers. Patrick O'Bryant went in the first round but it wasn't based off of his stunning 11.6 ppg 7.8 rpg and 2.8 bpg career numbers. If Orupke can come close to that-or even show a dominance in defensive and rebounding numbers without being a total offensive liability, he may have a chance. I don't see it happening, but you never know. I think a performance akin to O'Bryant's NBA career is more likely in store for Orupke in the MVC.

I think that's fair. Personally I would be happy for Orukpe to be picked up in the late second round if it meant he would have a better career, but I think he'll be picked up higher than he should be. I hope he gets drafted high if only because it promotes the Valley. I think he has low production for different reasons than O'Bryant (#9 by the Clippers), who always seemed a little unmotivated after his fracture. Orupke is pretty motivated, judging by his scholastic achievements (3.7 GPA, started as an engineering major before switching to math), and his considerable athletic improvements over the years (10-20 lbs of muscle each offseason).

Orupke has the basics you need, but just doesn't seem like a great basketball player. Interesting story, smart kid, great NBA body, but not someone who actually is an NBA player. However, even if I wouldn't draft him as a GM, I know that many teams would.

Bryant did have some great games against Kansas and Pittsburgh though, and that definitely boosted his draft stock. Without those two games he probably would not have been nearly as high in the draft. Orupke won't be drafted unless he some break-out games against good competition (preferably in tournament play or on a televised game).
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ShockValue » July 11th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Orupke has not played a meaningful minute during his college career. I'm as big a Shocker homer as there is, but even I have to say he has absolutely zero chance of being selected in the NBA draft.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby CBB_Fan » July 11th, 2012, 8:21 pm

ShockValue wrote:Orupke has not played a meaningful minute during his college career. I'm as big a Shocker homer as there is, but even I have to say he has absolutely zero chance of being selected in the NBA draft.

As I've mentioned several times, I feel he might get drafted (high even) simply for being 7' and athletic. And he was good enough to make the Nigerian Olympic team (first ever Olympic qualifying team from that country), along with fellow Shocker Dominic Okon (coach).

Never discount how little NBA scouts take into account college production. We just had a #1 draft pick that scored less than 15 PPG and was the fourth option on his own team, while many conference leading scorers were left undrafted.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball