What makes you excited for your team next season?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: What makes you excited for your team next season?

Postby 2livewu » July 11th, 2012, 10:55 pm

Not sure where you get your information but Orupke is NOT on the Nigerian Olympic team. Never was.

I too think it's possible VanVleet could redshirt. Simply put, there are too many "men" ahead of him.

Summer reports indicate Early is struggling, a terrible sign. I don't know what to think about the Shocks. I think Armstead will be the best defensive point guard in the league, by a wide margin. I think they'll struggle to score unless they press all the time, which I don't think they will.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing Baker and Cotton step up. Cotton is a man and Baker can really shoot it. If you ran 10,000 scenarios, WSU probably finishes 4th or 5th more often than not, unless the guys can really gel and that's going to take something special to happen.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CBB_Fan » July 12th, 2012, 7:44 am

2livewu wrote:Not sure where you get your information but Orupke is NOT on the Nigerian Olympic team. Never was.

"Team Nigeria Says Thank You !!!
Just letting you know that one of your Coaches, Dominic Okon is currently on the coaching staff that guided Nigeria to their first ever Olympics tournament. Additonally I am asware that Wichita state have two Nigerian on their roster, Ehimen Orukpe and Henry Uwadie. Thanks for the support guys, and you can follow Team Nigeria here.

Ps wouldI be ableto get some info to what you expect from both Uwadie and Orukpe so that I can update my blog."

I misread the previous quote. Thought it said that all three were Olympians, instead it says Dominic Okon is an assistant coach and Orukpe is simply another Nigerian connection.

I too think it's possible VanVleet could redshirt. Simply put, there are too many "men" ahead of him.

Summer reports indicate Early is struggling, a terrible sign. I don't know what to think about the Shocks. I think Armstead will be the best defensive point guard in the league, by a wide margin. I think they'll struggle to score unless they press all the time, which I don't think they will.

Whenever I watched Van Vleet, he looked like he was the best offensive PG, in terms of total playmaking ability, on the roster. The question is whether he will be able to play Division I defense to Marshall's expectations. Same with Early; I've heard that he's been sound shooting, but struggled to adjust to the speed of the game and playing defense.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing Baker and Cotton step up. Cotton is a man and Baker can really shoot it. If you ran 10,000 scenarios, WSU probably finishes 4th or 5th more often than not, unless the guys can really gel and that's going to take something special to happen.

I think Wichita State is likely to finish 3rd, with more potential to finish higher than lower. Simply put, they have either top players or size/speed mismatches at every position, so I think that the only teams able to play the Shockers on an even footing are Illinois State and Creighton.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » July 12th, 2012, 8:00 am

2livewu wrote:I think Armstead will be the best defensive point guard in the league, by a wide margin.

I think he'll be the best defensive PG as well, although not by a wide margin. Chatman is cat quick and a solid defender. That being said, Armstead has really quick hands on defense and will create a lot of turnovers. Creighton fans saw him in the CBI or CIT (I don't remember which one it was...) when Creighton and Oregon had a best of three series two years ago. I thought he was a solid defender, but sort of a non-presence on offense.

I'm interested to see if Marshall changes the Shocks' style a bit this year. Instead of running and gunning, they may want to slow it down a bit.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » July 12th, 2012, 8:13 am

I've thought Jake Odom to be a pretty tough defender in his two seasons with ISUb. Is Chatman that good that Odum shouldn't be in the conversation? Or am I just old and crazy and Odum isn't actually a PG (it seems like ages ago that I last saw him play, so I'm beginning to doubt myself)
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CBB_Fan » July 12th, 2012, 8:57 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I'm interested to see if Marshall changes the Shocks' style a bit this year. Instead of running and gunning, they may want to slow it down a bit.

The Shockers will have a dilemma on their playstyle, and its probably their biggest issue right now. If they go with a starting line-up of experienced players, they will be extremely defensive in nature, but without a lot of firepower (assuming Armstead/Orukpe at least start). On the other hand, they have a lot of young players that seem to be more natural scorers/facilitators, but not as adept defensively. Keeping a balance will be key to success.

I think they'll try to grind on defense, run whenever they get turnovers. Half-court offense looks so-so right now.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » July 12th, 2012, 10:01 am

PantherSigEp wrote:I've thought Jake Odom to be a pretty tough defender in his two seasons with ISUb. Is Chatman that good that Odum shouldn't be in the conversation? Or am I just old and crazy and Odum isn't actually a PG (it seems like ages ago that I last saw him play, so I'm beginning to doubt myself)

I'm a big Odom fan.

I'm waiting to see how he recovers from his injuries before putting him back in that category though.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoBraves » July 12th, 2012, 12:21 pm

For BU, It's one year closer to getting back to the .500 mark! And hopefully less 30-point embarrassing losses.

I look forward to the Big Men - hopefully they will contribute, and Egolf returns under a new head coach, which I've been looking forward to - never quite got Les' role for him.

Prosser
Egolf
Wells
Pickett
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby CaliRdBrd » July 12th, 2012, 1:29 pm

The fact that we're not playing the entire SWAC, just part of it.
CaliRdBrd
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TheTimeIsNow » July 12th, 2012, 10:14 pm

CBB_Fan wrote: more athletic than Drummond this year

Ummmm, No. Just no.

I don't typically post on here, but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read on a message board. Orukpe is not, and never will be, more athletic than Drummond.
TheTimeIsNow
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby BEARZ77 » July 13th, 2012, 7:14 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
2livewu wrote:I think Armstead will be the best defensive point guard in the league, by a wide margin.

I think he'll be the best defensive PG as well, although not by a wide margin. Chatman is cat quick and a solid defender. That being said, Armstead has really quick hands on defense and will create a lot of turnovers. Creighton fans saw him in the CBI or CIT (I don't remember which one it was...) when Creighton and Oregon had a best of three series two years ago. I thought he was a solid defender, but sort of a non-presence on offense.

I'm interested to see if Marshall changes the Shocks' style a bit this year. Instead of running and gunning, they may want to slow it down a bit.

If defense is only about being "cat quick" and steals, then you might be right about Armstead and Chatman. But more in the "Odum" mold, I think the Bears will present as good a 40 minutes of defensive basketball at the pg as the league has to offer in Bracey and Williams. Both are big, strong, long armed pgs who will keep you in front of them and cause you problems with their size and strength. Bracey is easily 6'3 , long and agile and just glides from end to end. Williams is about 6'2 but fairly long armed, very solid build, deceptively fast and aggressive on both ends of the court. They both compare very favorably in physical nature to Nafis Ricks, but are bigger and better offensively IMO.

We are extremely small and young at the two frontcourt positions, but when you look at pg, then add Downing and Gulley at the 2/3, back them with solid 6'4 veterans in Pickens and Scheer , and then add 6'5 wing Simpson and the best offensive guard prospect we recruited since McGee in 6'2 Marcus Marshall , I'll stack our perimeter against any in the league. But we are gonna get brutalized down low I'm afraid.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball