Greatest players in MVC history - where does Doug fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Greatest players in MVC history - where does Doug fall?

Postby glm38 » July 30th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
glm38 wrote:I think some of us had forgotten how many truly great players there have been in the mvc. I still say though that he's got a shot at being a top 5 all time due to the fact that he's just a sophomore. And in the games I saw I thought his effort level on defense picked up quite a bit from his freshman to Sophomore years.

Zero way of being in top five. Zero.

Have you been smokin' or somethin'?

So if he ends up being an all American 3 straight years he's not even in the discussion? Got to disagree with that.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby musiccitybulldog » July 30th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Maybe it was because I had a front row seat at Vet's auditorium in the late 1970's and early 1980's and gave me a different out look. But when I watched Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, Xman, Paul Pressey, Larry Bird and a few others, there was no doubt they would be major contributors in the NBA. I don't know off hand where these guys fared as all americans in college, but when you watched them there was no doubt they were major league players. No doubt at all.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » July 30th, 2012, 2:51 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Maybe it was because I had a front row seat at Vet's auditorium in the late 1970's and early 1980's and gave me a different out look. But when I watched Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, Xman, Paul Pressey, Larry Bird and a few others, there was no doubt they would be major contributors in the NBA. I don't know off hand where these guys fared as all americans in college, but when you watched them there was no doubt they were major league players. No doubt at all.

Ah yes, the infamous "eye test".
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » July 30th, 2012, 3:12 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:Maybe it was because I had a front row seat at Vet's auditorium in the late 1970's and early 1980's and gave me a different out look. But when I watched Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, Xman, Paul Pressey, Larry Bird and a few others, there was no doubt they would be major contributors in the NBA. I don't know off hand where these guys fared as all americans in college, but when you watched them there was no doubt they were major league players. No doubt at all.

Ah yes, the infamous "eye test".

You bet...you had to rely on the eye test in those days...no espn...or sports radio or nobody tweeting to tell you who is good. The eye test was pretty accurate on the group I mentioned.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » July 30th, 2012, 3:29 pm

And I think that's part of the discrepency here. We are talking about college b-ball careers aren't we? The Nba is something else entirely. Plenty of truly great college players whose games didn't translate to the pros. That doesn't mean they weren't some of the best in their school or conferences history.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby usmcdog » July 30th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Chet Walker of Bradley is, along with Oscar Robertson, one of the two best I saw play in watching over 50 years of MVC basketball. In a 3 year carreer Chet averaged 24.4 ppg, 12.8 rpg, and had a .552 field goal percentage. And no I'm not a Bradley fan.
usmcdog
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby moshock » July 30th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Not to take away anything from McDoug. He's a very special player and I'm glad he's in the MVC. He's no Larry Bird. I would vote him as a top 25 player and possibly a top 10....but there are some real studs in the top 10 who went on to have great careers in the NBA. McDoug's history is still being written.

Also, the competition level in the MVC is not what it was in the 60'-80's IMHO. Every year there were players in the NBA draft from multiple teams. There were also multiple teams in the top 50. Not so much anymore.
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby C0|db|00ded » August 5th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Top 150 (more towards 150).

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » August 6th, 2012, 1:08 am

C0|db|00ded wrote:Top 150 (more towards 150).

T

...:cool:

Oh Lord. Take me now so I will avoid the food fight.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball