Missouri State's Jamar Gulley out for 2012-13 season

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri State's Jamar Gulley out for 2012-13 season

Postby PantherSigEp » July 21st, 2012, 11:03 pm

Very few public universities could be that selective. A 3.5 gpa AND top 25% rank are fairly tall orders. I would doubt any of the MVC schools have that rigorous of standards and would refuse to make concessions on them. You'd really be limiting your pool of potential students which is only good to a certain extent.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » July 22nd, 2012, 8:28 am

PantherSigEp wrote:I would doubt any of the MVC schools have that rigorous of standards and would refuse to make concessions on them. You'd really be limiting your pool of potential students which is only good to a certain extent.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. If you concede on your standards, the quality of the school suffers. Limiting your pool of students is called being selective; it is what all of the best academic institutions in the world do. There is no reason to admit someone who cannot handle the work and will only end up flunking/dropping out anyway (unless, of course, you are desperate for enrollment and tuition dollars in which case I guess you'd take whoever you can get for as long as you can get them).
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » July 22nd, 2012, 10:48 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:I would doubt any of the MVC schools have that rigorous of standards and would refuse to make concessions on them. You'd really be limiting your pool of potential students which is only good to a certain extent.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. If you concede on your standards, the quality of the school suffers. Limiting your pool of students is called being selective; it is what all of the best academic institutions in the world do. There is no reason to admit someone who cannot handle the work and will only end up flunking/dropping out anyway (unless, of course, you are desperate for enrollment and tuition dollars in which case I guess you'd take whoever you can get for as long as you can get them).

FWIW....I had a 3.6 GPA in high school but was not in the top 25% of my class. I graduated from a small class and was 11th in class rank....11th out of 38 is not the top 25% of the class.

If I had to meet both of those to be admitted I'd have been screwed because I wasn't "able to handle coursework"
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » July 22nd, 2012, 11:23 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:

I'm pretty sure you failed to understand what I was saying in general. I never said you should do away with admission standards, I simply said that if you refuse to make concessions on those standards, especially if they were as rigorous as a combination of:
ACT score of 24 or higher (SAT 1090)
3.5 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale
Class rank in the top 25 percent

Then you are hurting your school as a whole for expecting only the highest quality of students to be attending your school. It is simply unrealistic to expect that a school could sustain itself on standards like that and would be missing out on quality students in the process who simply missed out on one requirement, not to mention what athletics would look like if you tried to be that selective.

My point was not to accuse our schools of having weak standards, that's simply not true and the MVC as a whole has very strong academic institutions and our athletes are successful in the classroom as well. I was simply a bit miffed by the attempt (whether intentional or not) to inflate the standards of one school and play it as the Berlin Wall. None of our schools are that selective because very few schools in the nation could afford to be that selective. Concessions are made at each school, as that is how almost every single university works. You can be selective while making occasional concessions, every private school does it (Creighton, Drake and Evansville included I'm sure). Being selective is only a good thing to a certain extent as I mentioned in my last post. If you are still lost on this point just imagine what Missouri State or Wichita State (sorry, but we have your admission standards handy, so it will be easier to go back off of) would look like if you raised each standard to:

Missouri State:
ACT score of 27 or higher
3.75 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale
Class rank in the top 20 percent

Wichita State:
Achieve an ACT composite score of 24 or above or a minimum combined SAT-I score of 1090, OR
Rank in the top one-fourth of their high schools' graduating class, OR
Complete the pre-college curriculum with at least a 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.

I would bet that each experiences a notable decline in applications which causes enrollment to dip and also suffers a financial hit after eliminating a lower tier of admitted students, and ones that therefore may not qualify for academic financial aid and are paying a higher percentage of their school costs. The point being that each school has found its own equilibrium for what academic standards can keep it at a desirable size (which would vary from school to school of course) while also keeping an academic integrity. They have not become too inclusive or too exclusive
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CBB_Fan » July 22nd, 2012, 12:34 pm

uniftw wrote:FWIW....I had a 3.6 GPA in high school but was not in the top 25% of my class. I graduated from a small class and was 11th in class rank....11th out of 38 is not the top 25% of the class.

If I had to meet both of those to be admitted I'd have been screwed because I wasn't "able to handle coursework"

I had a similar problem. I had a 3.7 GPA, 34 ACT, but was 9th in a class of 40 (six 4.0s, two 3.9s). Missed out on several "top 10%" of the class awards, almost outside of the top 25%.

I think it would be odd if I had good enough test scores to get into an Ivy league, but wasn't able to fulfill the % of class scores to get into an MVC school.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball