Missouri State's Jamar Gulley out for 2012-13 season

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby valleychamp » July 13th, 2012, 12:31 pm

MSU beat writer:

Lyndal Scranton ‏@LscrantonNL

MSU forward Jarmar Gulley will miss season due to knee injury suffered in summer league. More details in a bit #MVCHoops

Huge blow for the Bears.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Missouri State's Jamar Gulley out for 2012-13 season

Postby BirdmanBB » July 13th, 2012, 2:25 pm

http://blogs.news-leader.com/msu/2012/07/13/basketball-bears-lose-gulley-to-knee-injury/

Torn ACL that needs to be surgically repaired. Tough break for Gulley and MSU. Hope his recovery goes well.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » July 13th, 2012, 2:45 pm

MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby PantherSigEp » July 13th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Does he have the option of a medical red shirt or requesting another year?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » July 13th, 2012, 3:51 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:Does he have the option of a medical red shirt or requesting another year?

Early reports are that he will redshirt for the year. Huge loss for us. With him I thought we might have a shot at finishing in the top half. Now I think we will probably be in the play in game. Still looking forward to the season. Lots of young talent.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » July 13th, 2012, 11:30 pm

glm38 wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:Does he have the option of a medical red shirt or requesting another year?

Early reports are that he will redshirt for the year. Huge loss for us. With him I thought we might have a shot at finishing in the top half. Now I think we will probably be in the play in game. Still looking forward to the season. Lots of young talent.

LOL. If we are in the play in game then I will never post on this board ever again. That's how strongly I feel that it will not happen.We will be fine and even more formidable with him back in 2013-2014.

Sucks that he had to get hurt playing in the summer leagues with D2 and NAIA scrubs all around. A couple of those squads...cough Drury and SBU cough...play far too hard. Too intense because they have something to prove against kids they idololize. I doubt there was genuine intent to injure but those lesser guys need to stop acting like this is the late 80s/early 90s NBA and they are Bill Laimbeer.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » July 14th, 2012, 12:32 am

Definitively name four teams that MSU is going to finish in front of, Casey. After SIU and maybe Bradley, I think you will be hard pressed to find two more teams that MSU is guaranteed to finish ahead of.

Besides that fact, staying out of the play-in games is a lot more difficult than it sounds. Remember, MSU was losing a tie-breaker away from playing on Thursday in STL even last year.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » July 14th, 2012, 4:29 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
glm38 wrote:

LOL. If we are in the play in game then I will never post on this board ever again. That's how strongly I feel that it will not happen.We will be fine and even more formidable with him back in 2013-2014.

Sucks that he had to get hurt playing in the summer leagues with D2 and NAIA scrubs all around. A couple of those squads...cough Drury and SBU cough...play far too hard. Too intense because they have something to prove against kids they idololize. I doubt there was genuine intent to injure but those lesser guys need to stop acting like this is the late 80s/early 90s NBA and they are Bill Laimbeer.

Well I hope you are right and I'm wrong Casey. But too much of our season now depends on freshmen stepping up big time and that's usually not a good sign. We were already horribly weak in the post and losing jarmar who was a pretty good post scorer just worsens that.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 14th, 2012, 6:57 am

While his position is one we have good depth at, still it's a major blow in several ways. One is simply his production especially as a rebounder where we are extremely suspect to begin with. Pickens is a very solid option at the 3 spot, but his knee is still an ongoing concern, so even in a best case scenario his minutes will be monitored, meaning Scheer and frosh Michael Simpson are gonna play alot of 3 spot. Scheer goes 6'4 and Simpson a lanky 6'5, but neither are the defenders/rebounder that Gulley was, though both are better outside shooters. Scheer after a terrible sophmore funk has looked more like his freshman self and could be a real bonus if he plays to that or better.Simpson was a possible rs ,so that probably isn't likely now.

Another issue is many of us were hoping we would still fill our last scholy with a late sign at the post position; however, with Gulley's rs that means tying up 2 scholys for 2 years , and we are still very active in the 2013 recruiting class with 2 signed, but a number of top level recruitis still looking at us. A late D-1 transfer like we had with Bizoukas last year with just a year elgibility would be ideal, but a juco is more likely. If we did land a post late though, then you might also see Gavin Thurman a 6'7 frosh play some at the 3 spot as he has the handles/shot/ and agility to step out on the perimeter.

Any way you cut it, it hurts, and if we don't get some help or unexpected superior play by an existing frontcourt guy, we will struggle down low all year. Even w/o Gulley our perimeter 3 positions are still very strong and now go 7 instead of 8 deep , but we are inexperienced and lack bulk on the frontline, easily a recipe for Thursday nite.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » July 14th, 2012, 6:51 pm

valleychamp wrote:Definitively name four teams that MSU is going to finish in front of, Casey. After SIU and maybe Bradley, I think you will be hard pressed to find two more teams that MSU is guaranteed to finish ahead of.

Besides that fact, staying out of the play-in games is a lot more difficult than it sounds. Remember, MSU was losing a tie-breaker away from playing on Thursday in STL even last year.

As was UNI and 3 others, as a matter of fact UNI was a called travel from 7th place.

The Bears will struggle but are definetly better then ISUb, BU, and SIU just need to catch someone else sleeping.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball