Paul Sullentrop, Wichita State preview on Bluejay Banter

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby dannyobyrne » August 20th, 2012, 9:13 am

Tonight on Bluejay Banter we continue our MVC basketball preview with a look at Wichita State -- the Wichita Eagle's Paul Sullentrop joins us.

Listen in from 6-7 p.m. on AM 590, Omaha's ESPN Radio.

facebook.com/BluejayBanter
twitter.com/bluejaybanter

Listen online here.
dannyobyrne
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Paul Sullentrop, Wichita State preview on Bluejay Banter

Postby dannyobyrne » August 21st, 2012, 6:34 am

Podcast is posted for those who missed it.

Check it out on Facebook.
Or, you can visit our podcast web page.
Or on iTunes.
dannyobyrne
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby LJay » August 21st, 2012, 6:42 am

That is a good question, who is going to score the ball for WSU? Hall will get double digits but that's from put backs and layups. Then...........

No doubt big and athletic.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ali » August 21st, 2012, 8:24 am

LJay wrote:That is a good question, who is going to score the ball for WSU? Hall will get double digits but that's from put backs and layups. Then...........

No doubt big and athletic.

Shocks will be tough to score on though. Could be some ugly games this year.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » August 21st, 2012, 10:31 am

There could be some whistling by the graveyard going on.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » August 21st, 2012, 11:35 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote: There could be some whistling by the graveyard going on.

Perhaps, but I think most of it is the "unknown" factor for WSU this year. We all knew that Ragland and Murry were proven scorers. We knew Stutz had tools to score and would likely get a lot of touches his Sr year. We knew Smith would likely be a reliable option as well. We knew that Kyles could get hot. We just don't know who will emerge this year on offense.

Lots of new faces and new roles. Hall is a beast. White contributed as a frosh. I dont' remember Williams or Cotton distinguishing themselves on offense, but the seniors provided so much that there wasn't alot left to do there. I am not sure how those two project this year as offensive forces.

The Juco guys are heralded. You have a couple guys coming of RS years. Personally, I just have no idea who is going to be "the guy" or guys for WSU this year on offense. Do any of the WSU guys have a sense of the starting five?

Armstead
Williams
Wiggins ?
Early ?
Hall
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shockalot » August 21st, 2012, 6:46 pm

I'd have confidence only with a sharp pencil (ain't that always a help) with a big eraser in writing down a starting 5 for WSU at this point with so many unknowns and so many options.
But I think Armstead is a safe bet at PG at least for the beginning of the season, Williams would be a likely SG starter to begin with--both of these guys get the nod due to experience over other options. Early and Wiggins seem to be a toss up at the SF to me at this point and it might come down to match ups, but my guess is if the need is more defensively oriented it might be Early, but if offense is the higher desire it might be Wiggins. Hall should be the starting PF but only if there is no issue as to his needing to start at center. I'd guess the starting center to be Orupke, but Lufile may actually be the more all around effective player. Again, I don't really have a good handle on that yet as I don't yet have a lot of solid current information.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » August 21st, 2012, 7:05 pm

shockalot wrote:I'd have confidence only with a sharp pencil (ain't that always a help) with a big eraser in writing down a starting 5 for WSU at this point with so many unknowns and so many options.
But I think Armstead is a safe bet at PG at least for the beginning of the season, Williams would be a likely SG starter to begin with--both of these guys get the nod due to experience over other options. Early and Wiggins seem to be a toss up at the SF to me at this point and it might come down to match ups, but my guess is if the need is more defensively oriented it might be Early, but if offense is the higher desire it might be Wiggins. Hall should be the starting PF but only if there is no issue as to his needing to start at center. I'd guess the starting center to be Orupke, but Lufile may actually be the more all around effective player. Again, I don't really have a good handle on that yet as I don't yet have a lot of solid current information.

This is the general sentiment of Shocker fans with some leanings.

It gets even less predictable when you start looking at the rest of the rotation.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 21st, 2012, 7:14 pm

jayball wrote:
...I think most of it is the "unknown" factor for WSU this year. We all knew that Ragland and Murry were proven scorers. We knew Stutz had tools to score and would likely get a lot of touches his Sr year. We knew Smith would likely be a reliable option as well. We knew that Kyles could get hot. We just don't know who will emerge this year on offense.

I think you are remembering what did happen, not the preseason sentiments. Remember that Ragland was a part time starter and that Stutz averaged 4 ppg. We DID know that Murray was proven and that Kyles could get hot. I believe that Smith was 7th or 8th on scoring as a junior. Many were saying that Durley and Blair would be sorely missed and Stutz would be ineffective.

As to this year...many more questions than answers.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby dannyobyrne » August 21st, 2012, 8:33 pm

Here's just the Sullentrop interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrcSSiqX ... e=youtu.be
dannyobyrne
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer