Paul Sullentrop, Wichita State preview on Bluejay Banter

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Paul Sullentrop, Wichita State preview on Bluejay Banter

Postby 2livewu » August 22nd, 2012, 11:35 am

Williams is coming off surgery and I am not as optimistic as the news report as to his return date. Plus I think he's really, really good and could be missed.

Armstead will be great defensively but he can't score much.

Hall should be fine. Early is struggling which could be the killer as the Shocks were certainly counting on him to score. I think Cotton will be super this year. Orupke is just not going to get it and I hear he's got some health issues as well. Overly optimistic projections for this team are founded only in athletic ability and totally dismiss the difficulty involved with succeeding at the high D1 level.

Could this team be good? Possibly but highly unlikely. If they are, the Coach deserves a ton of credit. Just way too many pieces to incorporate into a difficult system. I think they'll be good defensively, but just won't score enough to win a bunch of games. 3-5 games over .500 and better, maybe a lot better, at the end of the year compared to the beginning.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » August 23rd, 2012, 9:00 am

Ali wrote:
LJay wrote:That is a good question, who is going to score the ball for WSU? Hall will get double digits but that's from put backs and layups. Then...........

No doubt big and athletic.

Shocks will be tough to score on though. Could be some ugly games this year.

Wouldn't it be extremely ironic, and I hope it happens, if WSU goes from a 80ppg type team to a 60-67 ppg team that wins by playing a little more physical and limiting scoring after all the sh!t they've talked about UNI winning that way for a couple years now.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » August 23rd, 2012, 9:13 am

uniftw wrote:
Ali wrote:
LJay wrote:That is a good question, who is going to score the ball for WSU? Hall will get double digits but that's from put backs and layups. Then...........

Wouldn't it be extremely ironic, and I hope it happens, if WSU goes from a 80ppg type team to a 60-67 ppg team that wins by playing a little more physical and limiting scoring after all the sh!t they've talked about UNI winning that way for a couple years now.

Good God, I hope not.

The last thing this conference needs is another, slow-it-down, walk-the-ball-up-the-court, stand around, stand around, stand around team that thinks that defense requires tackling people.

I certainly think WSU will slow it down from last year, but think that their athleticism will still be a strength that they will try to exploit.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » August 23rd, 2012, 1:09 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Ali wrote:Shocks will be tough to score on though. Could be some ugly games this year.

Good God, I hope not.

The last thing this conference needs is another, slow-it-down, walk-the-ball-up-the-court, stand around, stand around, stand around team that thinks that defense requires tackling people.

I certainly think WSU will slow it down from last year, but think that their athleticism will still be a strength that they will try to exploit.

As opposed to a team that thinks defense is throwing forearms at heads, grabbing at injured players tender spots and taking out players going for lay-ups?

Please show me the videos of UNI "tackling" anyone. We have seen the videos of what I mentioned above.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » August 23rd, 2012, 1:19 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
uniftw wrote:Wouldn't it be extremely ironic, and I hope it happens, if WSU goes from a 80ppg type team to a 60-67 ppg team that wins by playing a little more physical and limiting scoring after all the sh!t they've talked about UNI winning that way for a couple years now.

Good God, I hope not.

As opposed to a team that thinks defense is throwing forearms at heads, grabbing at injured players tender spots and taking out players going for lay-ups?

Please show me the videos of UNI "tackling" anyone. We have seen the videos of what I mentioned above.

See any game footage involving Lucas O'Rear.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jays26 » August 23rd, 2012, 3:28 pm

Please show me the videos of UNI "tackling" anyone. We have seen the videos of what I mentioned above

Holy crap....are you a North Carolina whiny fan also. :roll:
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » August 23rd, 2012, 4:51 pm

WSU will still be an athletic transition type team. We will not slow it down. OTOH, it will be difficult for us to score in the half court set most likely. We still have big bodies and length. We gain the ability to take it to the rim bit lose the a lot of our perimeter scoring.

Expect teams to pack it in on us.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LJay » August 24th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Wufan wrote:WSU will still be an athletic transition type team. We will not slow it down. OTOH, it will be difficult for us to score in the half court set most likely. We still have big bodies and length. We gain the ability to take it to the rim bit lose the a lot of our perimeter scoring.

Expect teams to pack it in on us.

Right, so Greggg recruited some shooters as well as athletes, right? Honestly, I don't know.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby C0|db|00ded » August 24th, 2012, 11:27 pm

uniftw wrote:
Ali wrote:

LMFAO!

The Shockers will resemble an NIU team in that both teams play five men at a time. That will be the extent of any comparisons.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby C0|db|00ded » August 24th, 2012, 11:31 pm

2livewu wrote:Could this team be good? Possibly but highly unlikely.

You are completely clueless. Are you that way on purpose?

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball