MVC basketball schedule release

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC basketball schedule release

Postby DoubleJayAlum » August 26th, 2012, 1:06 pm

pafan wrote:
Red wrote:The Valley needs to get rid of the rule that requires every team be shown in the TV package. I don't want crappy games at the end of the year on TV again.

Almost every conference has such a rule. That's why we saw Purdue vs. Penn State in football last year nationwide on ESPN.

Doesn't make it any less stupid...

The "everybody else is doing it" argument is probably the weakest argument in existence. Didn't your mom ever give you the "jumping off the cliff" counter as a young child?
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on August 27th, 2012, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red » August 27th, 2012, 10:32 am

pafan wrote:
Red wrote:The Valley needs to get rid of the rule that requires every team be shown in the TV package. I don't want crappy games at the end of the year on TV again.

Almost every conference has such a rule. That's why we saw Purdue vs. Penn State in football last year nationwide on ESPN.

That clause might be necessary to get everyone in a league to agree to TV deals but it's bad business. We should be highlighting the best teams on TV and that would have a benefit on a league like the MVC who needs as much exposure as it can get.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » August 27th, 2012, 11:18 am

pafan wrote:

The difference though is that the Big 10 has so many games on TV already, they can afford to spot PSU basketball the one appearance. MVC appearances on TV are much more precious, therefore I don't like the idea of the every team rule.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » August 27th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Red wrote:
pafan wrote:

That clause might be necessary to get everyone in a league to agree to TV deals but it's bad business. We should be highlighting the best teams on TV and that would have a benefit on a league like the MVC who needs as much exposure as it can get.

I don't see why each school has to approve the deal anyway. Let the league office negotiate the best deal it can get. It isn't like ESPN is going to line up to pay big bucks for Bradley vs. SIU next year; they want games that generate interest. Why use the league's dollars to buy time on FSN to air miserable games that even MVC fans are unlikely to tune in to watch?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » August 27th, 2012, 2:15 pm

The big question with a league like the MVC is do we really know which are going to be the 'good' teams every year and which are going to be the surprises. Yes, we can pretty much expect CU to be the top dog this year, but would anyone have predicted Drake during their run or UNI in the 2008-09 season? Even last year, we had WSU and CU at the top as was expected but then a huge log-jam in the middle. I suppose we just ought to go what some posters really want and rename it the Omaha-Wichita Conference. It will be like watching baseball on ESPN. Gee, the Red Sox and Yankees are playing, thrilling! We never get to see them.

ESPN will pick the match-ups it thinks will be best from the start for the games it wants to show. I don't think there is any rule that every school has to appear on ESPN. If we're talking ESPN3, big deal, not everyone gets those anyways and ESPN just gobbles up every broadcast it can just to claim to be able to show some. I am fine with the one appearance rule for the FSN/Comcast/Whatever Package deal as long as those 'every team' games occur early in the year and allow for more wild-card type games later in the year to get the games with upper division teams playing in February rather than just the last weekend.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » August 27th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:I suppose we just ought to go what some posters really want and rename it the Omaha-Wichita Conference.

Considering that UNI has been one of the most successful clubs over the last five years and is expected to finish toward the top this coming season, I'm not really sure how you could draw this particular conclusion from people suggesting that the best teams should be the ones televised.

Perhaps you don't expect UNI to be that good? Or maybe you just wanted to take an unwarranted shot at Creighton and WSU?

I honestly don't understand UNI fans most of the time. Despite their success, they usually seem and act so small time.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » August 27th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Trollololol...

Gotta hand it to ya, you are the undisputed arrogant troll king. I guess everyones gotta be good at something, right?
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » August 27th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Reread the posts.

I think it is quite clear that it was a UNI poster that was doing the trolling here.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » August 28th, 2012, 7:47 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:I suppose we just ought to go what some posters really want and rename it the Omaha-Wichita Conference.

Considering that UNI has been one of the most successful clubs over the last five years and is expected to finish toward the top this coming season, I'm not really sure how you could draw this particular conclusion from people suggesting that the best teams should be the ones televised.

Perhaps you don't expect UNI to be that good? Or maybe you just wanted to take an unwarranted shot at Creighton and WSU?

I honestly don't understand UNI fans most of the time. Despite their success, they usually seem and act so small time.

Like said above, if we had more TV games it's not a big deal to allocate some to everyone. Since we've got one game of the week on FSN and scattered ESPN games, we should be showcasing those teams with chances of at large bids.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jays26 » August 28th, 2012, 9:46 am

JAYS SCHEDULE :Yea!:

2012-13 Creighton Men’s Basketball Schedule

Date Opponent Location Time (CST)

Friday, Nov. 2 University of Mary (Exhibition) CenturyLink Center Omaha 7:05 pm
Friday, Nov. 9 North Texas CenturyLink Center Omaha 7:05 pm
Wednesday, Nov. 14 Alabama-Birmingham CenturyLink Center Omaha 7:05 pm
Sunday, Nov. 18 Presbyterian (+) CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Tuesday, Nov. 20 Longwood (+) CenturyLink Center Omaha 7:05 pm

12th Annual Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational (The Orleans Arena)
Friday, Nov. 23 vs. Wisconsin Las Vegas, Nevada 9:00 pm
Saturday, Nov. 24 vs. Arkansas or Arizona State Las Vegas, Nevada 7 or 10 pm

Wednesday, Nov. 28 Boise State (#) CenturyLink Center Omaha 7:05 pm
Saturday, Dec. 1 Saint Joseph’s CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Thursday, Dec. 6 at Nebraska Lincoln, Nebraska TBA
Sunday, Dec. 9 Akron CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Saturday, Dec. 15 at California Berkeley, California TBA
Wednesday, Dec. 19 Tulsa CenturyLink Center Omaha 7:05 pm
Saturday, Dec. 29 Evansville CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Wednesday, Jan. 2 at Illinois State Normal, Illinois TBA
Saturday, Jan. 5 Indiana State CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Tuesday, Jan. 8 Drake CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Friday, Jan. 11 at Missouri State Springfield, Missouri TBA
Tuesday, Jan. 15 Northern Iowa CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Saturday, Jan. 19 at Wichita State Wichita, Kansas TBA
Wednesday, Jan. 23 at Drake Des Moines, Iowa TBA
Sunday, Jan. 27 at Southern Illinois Carbondale, Illinois TBA
Wednesday, Jan. 30 Missouri State CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Saturday, Feb. 2 Bradley CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Wednesday, Feb. 6 at Indiana State Terre Haute, Indiana TBA
Saturday, Feb. 9 Illinois State CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Wednesday, Feb. 13 at Northern Iowa Cedar Falls, Iowa TBA
Saturday, Feb. 16 at Evansville Evansville, Indiana TBA
Tuesday, Feb. 19 Southern Illinois CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA
Saturday, Feb. 23 at Opponent TBA (BracketBusters) TBA TBA
Wednesday, Feb. 27 at Bradley Peoria, Illinois TBA
Saturday, March 2 Wichita State CenturyLink Center Omaha TBA

Missouri Valley Conference Men’s Basketball Championship
Thursday, March 7 Opening Rounds Scottrade Center, St. Louis 6:05/8:35 pm
Friday, March 8 Quarterfinals Scottrade Center, St. Louis 12:05/2:35/6:05/8:35
Saturday, March 9 Semi-Finals Scottrade Center, St. Louis 1:35/4:05 pm
Sunday, March 10 Championship Game Scottrade Center, St. Louis 1:05 pm

All times listed are Central Standard Time
Game dates and times are subject to change
(+) Game is part of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational
(#) Game is part of the Mountain West-Missouri Valley Conference Challenge Series
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball