ESPN lists "most relevant" MVC basketball programs

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby ShockValue » August 24th, 2012, 10:29 am

ESPN has a formula to determine the best programs of the last 50 years. Saw Creighton and Wichita St were top 2 in the Valley at #69 and #80. I'll try to post a link.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ESPN lists "most relevant" MVC basketball programs

Postby Red » August 24th, 2012, 10:41 am

Here you go. I'm a little surprised we are behind Missouri St and ahead of Bradley, but I'm not complaining.

Missouri Valley
69. Creighton
80. Wichita State
84. Southern Illinois
90. Missouri State
T-91. Illinois State
123. Bradley
T-135. Evansville
T-162. Drake
177. Northern Iowa
204. Indiana State

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... 0-rankings
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ShockValue » August 24th, 2012, 10:59 am

Kinda funny or sad that Indiana St had the best player and team of the last 50 years yet ranks last.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Hail Our Panthers » August 24th, 2012, 12:05 pm

ShockValue wrote:Kinda funny or sad that Indiana St had the best player and team of the last 50 years yet ranks last.

Pretty much the first thing I noticed. The rankings are pretty much completely mathematical where teams earned points by conference titles, tournament wins, ect. Surprising that with all the points earned in the year of the title game run and with the long history in the MVC, ISUb still came in last.

The point system they used is pretty straight forward http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... -50-series
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » August 24th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Hail Our Panthers wrote:The point system they used is pretty straight forward http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... -50-series

Seems like a pretty reasonable way to value a team's value to a conference as well. I am a big fan of the deductions for NCAA penalties. About the only thing I would consider adding to the formula would be a point for each week a school appeared in the top 25, but this is probably too difficult to track down.

It would be interesting to see the same formula applied to the conference with the start date being the date that the conference had the current list of members.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » August 24th, 2012, 4:33 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Hail Our Panthers wrote:The point system they used is pretty straight forward http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... -50-series

Seems like a pretty reasonable way to value a team's value to a conference as well. I am a big fan of the deductions for NCAA penalties. About the only thing I would consider adding to the formula would be a point for each week a school appeared in the top 25, but this is probably too difficult to track down.

It would be interesting to see the same formula applied to the conference with the start date being the date that the conference had the current list of members.

You mean run it starting circa 1994 when Evansville joined? Or go back 3 years further to start when MSU/UNI joined
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dean Wormer » August 26th, 2012, 10:31 am

Interestingly, if the high and mighty St. Louis Billikens ever lowered themselves to join our little conference, they would be in dead last place at a sultry #216.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball