Early WSU Scouting Report

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early WSU Scouting Report

Postby musiccitybulldog » August 26th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Who do you think on the WSU team will fill a Kyles type role? Seems some games I saw, he would step up at the end hit needed threes and could nail some shots that put the Shockers over the edge. I always wondered at times why he wasn't playing more(Kyles).
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » August 26th, 2012, 2:35 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Who do you think on the WSU team will fill a Kyles type role? Seems some games I saw, he would step up at the end hit needed threes and could nail some shots that put the Shockers over the edge. I always wondered at times why he wasn't playing more(Kyles).

I think the hope is that Williams, Wiggins, or Cotton will fill the role of deep threat and athletic wing guard.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » August 26th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Wufan wrote:
glm38 wrote:I like your optimism wufan. But I'd seriously be shocked (pun intended) if WSU competes for first. Not that it never happens but it's only very rarely that a team with that many new players (to D1) competes at the highest level. Not saying it's impossible - just that it's not very likely.

If WSU accomplishes a top 2 finish then it will be a real credit to Marshal's ability.

I said that they would compete for first ONLY if Early AND Wiggins both "get it" early in the season. I went on to say that I believe one of them will get it by X-Mas and that we will COMPETE for 2nd or 3rd. I don't think that is too far fetched.

I read what you wrote. I didnt misrepresent anything you said. I simply gave my opinion that ANY scenario whereby wsu is competing for 1st is unlikely.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 26th, 2012, 5:10 pm

I certainly don't think they will all turn out as All-MVC or anything, but just for reference; Early and Wiggins are both rated better than Tyler Brown (2, 9, 12 respectively). Lufile and walk-on Joe Mitchell are rated as fairly equivalent to Downing and Gulley.

If Early is as good as Hall (#4 in 2011), Wiggins is as good as Brown, Mitchell (36) is as good as Gulley (47) and Lufile (48) is as good as Downing (54) then that is the scenario in which WSU competes for first.

A look at 2010 reveals a similar trend: Seck at 10, Ben Smith at 61, Myles Walker at 84, Kenny Harris at 88, and Joe Ragland at 120.

Based on recent MVC history, it is not far fetched at all.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » August 26th, 2012, 7:16 pm

That's great for you if your 2 juncos really turn out to be as good or better than gulley and Downing. But as good as those 2 were for us they still struggled at times with the d1 adjustment. That's part of the reason our season was so up and down.

Guess we'll know who's right in a few months.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby C0|db|00ded » August 29th, 2012, 2:53 pm

glm38 wrote:Good job of presenting a clear realistic assessment of your shockers. What would be your guesstimate of where the shocks finish in the MVC?

We are young, but the talent disparity in regards to the rest of the Valley necessitates a top 3 finish prediction. Of course we could always have chemistry issues (somebody bangs somebody else's girlfriend) and the whole teams falls apart. But separate from that kind of event, we are big, tough, athletic, and surprisingly intelligent compared to past teams.

I'm always going to predict greatness for the Shockers, but to be totally honest, this team could be scary. I've always said that WSU should be the Memphis of the Valley. Memphis was the Memphis of CUSA because of their athletic talent disparity, not coaching genius. We certainly aren't the Memphis of the Valley yet, but this year we just took a big step closer to it. We are absolutely loaded. I mean, we just signed a 3-star, 6'9", 250lb, WALK ON. That's the kind of s*** that KU pulls.

Of the 10 Cajuns who scored, Kadeem Coleby led with 15 points on 5-of-8 from the floor; Payton added 12 points. He was 8-of-8 from the free throw line. Kentwan Smith brought 8 points off the bench. Darshawn McClellan led in rebounds with 9, followed by Coleby's 8.

"He's aggressive," Marlin said of Coleby. "The shots that he doesn't block he's able to alter a little bit."

This guy is a walk on for WSU...................... :Yea!:

It's truly a great day to be a Shocker!

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » August 29th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Cold you are one of a kind...... :Cheers:
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer