Predict your non-conference wins/losses

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Predict your non-conference wins/losses

Postby 2livewu » September 4th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Can we be consistent with what the NCAA is going to count at the end of the year, and ignore games against Washburn, Philander Smith (was that a joke I missed?) and Wartburg et al?
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 2livewu » September 4th, 2012, 1:55 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
2livewu wrote:
shock wrote:It is not too far fetched to predict WSU to win all non con. Its very weak. However, I predict 10-1WSU with a loss at VCU.

What? It's EPICALLY far fetched. VCU is LOADED, experienced and knows they can kick our tail. I'll be happy if we don't get blown out 2 games into the regular season. @ UT? I'll admit the chances of winning that game are better than VCU but come on, the Vols will be prohibitive favorites. It sure isn't the toughest non-conference but there are plenty of other pitfalls for a team trying to build some chemistry early in the year and might be without assumed starter Demetric Williams and big man Ehimen Orupke, whom I am not expecting much from in the first place.

While I will admit there is a lot of upside with this team, expecting big, consistent things, especially early on, flies in the face of reality.

What's wrong with Williams and Orupke?

Your post above seems in stark contrast with the one from WSU poster Snaggletooth who, citing unnamed "persons close to the program", said last week that this year's WSU team was expected to be better than last year.

Winning at the high D1 level is about more than just talent. There are people around the program that think this team could be better than last year's team, at the end of the year. I don't know too many (there are a few) that think they're going to be good right out of the gate.

I don't know many programs that don't end in entucky that can replace such a large percentage of scoring etc and still remain near or at the top. I think this team COULD be really good. I think it's more likely they'll be up and down.

On a positive note, I'll say this....I doubt anyone is going to be happy to see WSU on their side of any draw in March, and this team is not going to be pushed around, certainly not by any team in the Valley. They are large, filled out and athletic. If Valley refs let the UNIs of the league get away with flopping left and right, I likely will not make it through the season. As much as I despise what basketball is today, it IS a man's game, not a flopper game. The biggest and strongest survive (when it matters).
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » September 4th, 2012, 2:04 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:What's wrong with Williams and Orupke?

Your post above seems in stark contrast with the one from WSU poster Snaggletooth who, citing unnamed "persons close to the program", said last week that this year's WSU team was expected to be better than last year.

Way too much snarkiness in your tone, if you ask me. I feel confident Snaggletooth can defend himself, but not wanting to share names of people he may talk to doesn't seem like the grade 9 Omaha conspiracy you seem to be trying to make it out to be.

Williams had surgery and I do not share the optimistic stance that puts him back in game shape in mid November. It's not so much inside information but basic common sense.

And I am not going into details on EO. He's been talked about enough over the last 5 years. I like the kid just fine, but expecting big things from him is much like predicting a perfect non-conference season, unrealistic.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » September 5th, 2012, 10:18 pm

See, somebody else has heard a similar thing. Only time will tell if it comes to past or not. I don't know but again - like I said -

This will be a test if WSU has move beyond the standard "rebuild" model after losing a senior laden class that most MVC teams seem to follow. This will be a chance for WSU to demonstrate they have become a "reload" type franchise.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » September 6th, 2012, 5:57 am

2livewu wrote:Can we be consistent with what the NCAA is going to count at the end of the year, and ignore games against Washburn, Philander Smith (was that a joke I missed?) and Wartburg et al?

The NCAA recognizes games against D2 and D3 schools toward the official statistics.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » September 6th, 2012, 7:46 am

havoc wrote:
2livewu wrote:Can we be consistent with what the NCAA is going to count at the end of the year, and ignore games against Washburn, Philander Smith (was that a joke I missed?) and Wartburg et al?

The NCAA recognizes games against D2 and D3 schools toward the official statistics.

Yep...which is why I included them in my prediction. The game doesn't count towards RPI though
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoBraves » September 6th, 2012, 8:53 am

BU Braves
6-6 Overall, which I believe is what our record was last year heading into Valley play.
Probably no big surprises - should win vs. the 3-4 cupcakes on the schedule, though BU might be considered a Valley creampuff right now. :|
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 2livewu » September 6th, 2012, 1:23 pm

uniftw wrote:
havoc wrote:

Yep...which is why I included them in my prediction. The game doesn't count towards RPI though

Please help me refresh my memory when the last time the NCAA considered average rebounds per game in the Tournament Selection process.

That's one of the dumbest things I've seen on this board, and that's saying something. Wartburg doesn't count, Pitt State doesn't count, and Philander Smith doesn't count. End of discussion.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » September 6th, 2012, 6:25 pm

2livewu wrote:Please help me refresh my memory when the last time the NCAA considered average rebounds per game in the Tournament Selection process.

That's one of the dumbest things I've seen on this board, and that's saying something. Wartburg doesn't count, Pitt State doesn't count, and Philander Smith doesn't count. End of discussion.

They do actually count towards the teams overall record, and the stats count for the season.

No one has said the NCAA picks teams based on rebounds, assists, points, etc... but the game does count....Just as FCS games count for FBS football teams in their overall record.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cpacmel » September 6th, 2012, 7:33 pm

uniftw wrote:
2livewu wrote:Please help me refresh my memory when the last time the NCAA considered average rebounds per game in the Tournament Selection process.

They do actually count towards the teams overall record, and the stats count for the season.

Non-DI wins aren't counted by the selection committee.

No one has said the NCAA picks teams based on rebounds, assists, points, etc... but the game does count....Just as FCS games count for FBS football teams in their overall record.

YES- FCS games count for FBS teams because both are DI. (An FBS can only count a win against an FCS for bowl eligibility once every 2 years rolling).

Wartburg, Pitt State, and Philander Smith are not DI programs.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball