NCAA attendance figures for 2012

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NCAA attendance figures for 2012

Postby Aces44 » September 6th, 2012, 2:02 pm

The Annual cow run through downtown Omaha

is easily one of my favorite events of the year.
:dance:
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » September 6th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Aces44 wrote:

Oh, come on! If you have ever been to Omaha, would know that the annual cow run doesn't even rate top three! Third best is the annual battle of the Polka bands in South Omaha. Watch out for the drunk Czechs picking fights with the drunk Poles! At any moment, a square dance could break out!!! Big fun!!!

Second best is the Missouri River Pig Regatta. It's like the plastic duck races many cities have for charity. The one inin Omaha is just a little different, much more fun and the charity is fighting obesity and type 2 diabetes in the local community. Instead of buying a numbered duck, participants buy a decomposing, bloated pig from one of many local slaughterhouses. The dead pigs float down the river and the first one to cross the pedestrian bridge with all four bloated legs above water is the winner. Prize for the champion is a years supply of bacon and pork rinds.

The best event is the annual fat chick flour roll held in Council Bluffs. I don't have time to explain it, but lots of guys on the Iowa side of the rivet say it's the most exciting thing that happens to them all year.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cpacmel » September 6th, 2012, 7:42 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I think it is sad that we only have 4 teams in the top 100 (although serious credit to Indiana St for making it there - sort of eliminates the "you have to be located in a big metro area" or "you need a really good season to have good attendance" excuse we hear all too frequently.)

What this data tells us is that six MVC schools average less than 5,237 people per game. :roll:

FWIW, two teams discussed as potential MVC adds in another thread, Denver and New Mexico St, come in at 95 and 94 respectively. If they were in the MVC last season, they would have been fourth and fifth in attendance.

The problem with some of these #'s is how they are calculated.

Some schools count tickets sold.

Some schools count only tickets used (butts in the seats).
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 7th, 2012, 8:44 am

Aces44 wrote:

The event is also known as "The Day Wichita Women Come to Town" and is held in conjunction with the yearly Cu-WSU basketball game.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Turner » September 7th, 2012, 8:59 am

What's really amazing is that Creighton gets 16000 to see the opponents they do.
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdmanBB » September 7th, 2012, 11:45 am

cpacmel wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:I think it is sad that we only have 4 teams in the top 100 (although serious credit to Indiana St for making it there - sort of eliminates the "you have to be located in a big metro area" or "you need a really good season to have good attendance" excuse we hear all too frequently.)

What this data tells us is that six MVC schools average less than 5,237 people per game. :roll:

FWIW, two teams discussed as potential MVC adds in another thread, Denver and New Mexico St, come in at 95 and 94 respectively. If they were in the MVC last season, they would have been fourth and fifth in attendance.

:+1: I agree with this completely. Redbirds count only butts in the seats, but likely have more than the average in season ticket plans sold. The only school I know of in the valley that counts tickets sold towards attendance regardless of butts in the seats is Bradley. Their number is well over the actual number of fans who attended last year. Consider the season they had last year.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby C0|db|00ded » September 7th, 2012, 12:59 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Aces44 wrote:

The event is also known as "The Day Wichita Women Come to Town" and is held in conjunction with the yearly Cu-WSU basketball game.

Your post is off-topic and libelous and has been reported.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » September 7th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Most Valley schools count tickets sold, not the turnstile count. In fact the vast majority of all NCAA division 1 schools count tickets sold. As a matter of fact, the attendance figure represents everyone in the building, the players, band, officials, media, janitors, ticket takers, ushers and half time performers. A while back I read the NCAA guidelines on attendance and it pretty much encompasses everyone.

As I said, most schools use tickets sold, not just Bradley. It may be more apparent at Bradley because they have a large season ticket base and have struggled as of recent, but they aren't doing anything almost every other school does. Even Kansas and Kentucky.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rally » September 7th, 2012, 1:36 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:
cpacmel wrote:

:+1: I agree with this completely. Redbirds count only butts in the seats, but likely have more than the average in season ticket plans sold. The only school I know of in the valley that counts tickets sold towards attendance regardless of butts in the seats is Bradley. Their number is well over the actual number of fans who attended last year. Consider the season they had last year.

Any clue as to why Illinois State continues to count attendance by butts in seats instead of paid attendance?
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdmanBB » September 10th, 2012, 7:27 am

no idea. Maybe cpacmel can shed light on it.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball