2012-13 MVC projected standings

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » September 1st, 2012, 7:22 am

I just posted my third update of projected 2012-13 MVC standings. We'll do our final predictions just before the season begins when we should have a better idea how teams will look.

For now, here's my best guess:
The MVC Report - Missouri Valley Conference 2012-13 basketball predictions – v3.0
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2012-13 MVC projected standings

Postby DUBulldog » September 1st, 2012, 7:39 am

7) Drake -The Bulldogs could surprise if Seth VanDeest returns to his 2010-11 form. My concern is whether Karl Madison elevate this team.

Madison will almost certainly not start this season. It's Richard Carter's job to lose. Nothing against Madison, he's a nice player, but Carter is clearly more talented. I think Carter has a very good chance at being NOY.

I've only seen him play in summer league.....I know it's hard to judge guys based on that, but you can see things like quickness, ballhandling, shooting ability, etc. A lot of Iowa State fans at those games said they wish they had Richard Carter.

Hard for me to predict where the Bulldogs will finish, too many new guys to make an informed prediction. Rice was a big loss.....on the court. But, off the court, his leaving was addition by subtraction. Two guys who were starters last year as freshmen will not be in the starting lineup this season. I like Drake's depth. There is some size, with 6-11 260+ Van Deest and 6-8, 250 Jordan Clarke in the starting lineup. But, can they stay healthy, and can they go more than 25 minutes per game?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MVCfans » September 1st, 2012, 7:54 am

DUBulldog wrote:
7) Drake -The Bulldogs could surprise if Seth VanDeest returns to his 2010-11 form. My concern is whether Karl Madison elevate this team.

Madison will almost certainly not start this season. It's Richard Carter's job to lose. Nothing against Madison, he's a nice player, but Carter is clearly more talented. I think Carter has a very good chance at being NOY.

I've only seen him play in summer league.....I know it's hard to judge guys based on that, but you can see things like quickness, ballhandling, shooting ability, etc. A lot of Iowa State fans at those games said they wish they had Richard Carter.

For comparison, I dropped Illinois State a notch due to uncertain expectations on a true frosh PG and elevated Indiana St because they have an established PG in Odum. For Drake, I went with the notion that Madison would start (as he did much of last season). If Carter earns the job and improves the team, maybe Drake is better than I expect. I love Simons and think highly of SVD, so if Phelps can get a couple of other spots figured out, I could be way off.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DUBulldog » September 1st, 2012, 8:27 am

MVCfans wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:

For comparison, I dropped Illinois State a notch due to uncertain expectations on a true frosh PG and elevated Indiana St because they have an established PG in Odum. For Drake, I went with the notion that Madison would start (as he did much of last season). If Carter earns the job and improves the team, maybe Drake is better than I expect. I love Simons and think highly of SVD, so if Phelps can get a couple of other spots figured out, I could be way off.

You could very well be right with your 7th place prediction.....I honestly think Drake can finish anywhere from about 2nd to 8th. So many unknowns this year, very hard to predict.

Starting lineup will most probably be:

Van Deest (Jr)
Clarke (Sr)
Simons (Sr)
Hines (Sr)
Carter (Jr)

I think this is the first Phelps team with all upperclassmen in the starting line-up. But, with one exception, everybody off the bench is a freshman or sophomore.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » September 1st, 2012, 8:51 am

Hines will certainly be a nice addition as well, and could also be a contender for NOY.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » September 1st, 2012, 9:51 am

Wufan wrote:Hines will certainly be a nice addition as well, and could also be a contender for NOY.

Hines is a very tough kid, and a leader. He's been a starter in the Pac-12, and played through several injuries last season at Utah. I haven't seen him play yet, as he sat out the summer league rehabbing an injury. People close to the program tell me that he looks very good.

High school teammate of Toure Murry.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LMS » September 1st, 2012, 10:08 am

MVCfans wrote:I just posted my third update of projected 2012-13 MVC standings. We'll do our final predictions just before the season begins when we should have a better idea how teams will look.

The MVC Report - Missouri Valley Conference 2012-13 basketball predictions – v3.0

I think 3rd is too high considering what WSU lost and what ISUred returns.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » September 1st, 2012, 10:15 am

LMS wrote:
MVCfans wrote:I just posted my third update of projected 2012-13 MVC standings. We'll do our final predictions just before the season begins when we should have a better idea how teams will look.

I think 3rd is too high considering what WSU lost and what ISUred returns.

This will be a test if WSU has move beyond the standard "rebuild" model after losing a senior laden class that most MVC teams seem to follow. This will be a chance for WSU to demonstrate they have become a "reload" type franchise. There are some who are close to the program that say the 2013 team is going to be better than 2012 version.

Alot of the new faces on the team will have already played for WSU a year as red-shirts. Of course if I was from Mizzou I would say say "show me"...
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 1st, 2012, 11:41 am

Snaggletooth wrote:There are some who are close to the program that say the 2013 team is going to be better than 2012 version.

Out of curiosity, who are these people?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » September 1st, 2012, 1:24 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:There are some who are close to the program that say the 2013 team is going to be better than 2012 version.

Out of curiosity, who are these people?

"Not I" said the Little Red Hen.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball