Bradley assistant leaves for HS coaching and clothing biz

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Red » September 7th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Sorta bizarre deal for a college assistant to leave his alma mater but nothing surprises me with Bradley anymore.

PEORIA —

Willie Scott is heading home.

The Bradley assistant men’s basketball coach and former Braves standout point guard in the 1980s will leave BU on Oct. 1 to become the head boys basketball coach at Chicago Dyett High School.

“I’m not leaving Bradley because I’m unhappy or because I’ve been treated unfairly,” Scott said. “It’s been a great experience. Anybody who knows me knows I’ve been wanting to get back to being a head coach. And I’ll also be able to resume my (clothing) business. This is really the only (basketball) level where I can get that done.”

The 51-year-old Scott, a BU aide for the past two years under both Jim Les and Geno Ford, was the head coach at Malcolm X College in Chicago from 2008-10. He directed a team that had not posted a winning record in more than a decade to 15-15 and 19-11 marks.

http://www.pjstar.com/bradleyhoops/x180 ... aving-team
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Brdaley assistant leaves for HS coaching and clothing bi

Postby valleychamp » September 7th, 2012, 2:25 pm

DJA would be all over this if it were UNI.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: Brdaley assistant leaves for HS coaching and clothing bi

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 7th, 2012, 3:20 pm

valleychamp wrote:DJA would be all over this if it were UNI.

Insecure much or just plain paranoid?

After all, I haven't even mentioned the 5 part series that your local newspaper ran discussing how broke your athletic department is, have I? Shoot, one of those articles even indicated that UNI loses money on basketball!?!?!

There is nothing to indicate this Bradley assistant's departure has anything to do with finances at all. In fact, it seems pretty unlikely that the high school job he is leaving for pays better than Bradley.

It always makes me laugh when someone who complains about being picked on all the time spends so much time instigating conflict.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: Bradley assistant leaves for HS coaching and clothing bi

Postby tribecalledquest » September 10th, 2012, 2:23 pm

It's not really bizarre considering he was a holdover from the Jim Les staff and not a Geno Ford hire combined with the fact he wasn't very qualified to begin with.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bcg » September 10th, 2012, 7:05 pm

I'm not thrilled of the timing of this departure. This is a big signing period for Geno Ford coming up.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Pinkie » September 21st, 2012, 6:48 pm

Sounds like Bradley is stealing Chin Coleman from Nebraska.
Pinkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby LMS » September 24th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Pinkie wrote:Sounds like Bradley is stealing Chin Coleman from Nebraska.

And then nebraska's new coach Tim Miles goes all big brother to Creighton on national tv even drawing a Twitter response from coach Mac. Rough week for NU hoops.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bcg » September 24th, 2012, 3:57 pm

It sounds like Bradley paid some good money to get this new assistant (6 figures - I have no idea what the average assistant coach in the Valley makes). It has created a buzz at the moment. There's three scholarships to recruit, so hopefully this pays dividends right away on the recruiting trail.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby agrinut » September 25th, 2012, 2:24 pm

bcg wrote:It sounds like Bradley paid some good money to get this new assistant (6 figures - I have no idea what the average assistant coach in the Valley makes). It has created a buzz at the moment. There's three scholarships to recruit, so hopefully this pays dividends right away on the recruiting trail.

Great Hire!
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BradleyBrave » October 13th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Chin Coleman is already paying dividends.

Cavan Walsh of ChicagoHoops.com takes note of all the highly-regarded Chicago talent present at last night's red-white scrimmage.

Bradley had Kain Harris, Josh Cunningham, Paul Turner, Charlie Moore, Zo Chatman, Kariem Simmons, Tyquone Greer among others on campus 2day

https://twitter.com/cavwalsh/status/256966899605319680

Ronald "Chin" Coleman asst at Bradley largely responsible for all those visitors...Coleman has hit the ground running since getting the job

https://twitter.com/cavwalsh/status/256967694073606144

Dave Reynolds says it could be a 'defining moment' for the BU program. Dave's usually not one for hyperbole, so this is a pretty bold statement.

http://www.pjstar.com/blogs/pressrow/x470403709/A-defining-moment-for-Bradley-program
"At some point in the near future, we're going to have a team out there competing for championships" - Geno Ford, November 9, 2011.
BradleyBrave
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball