Official 2012-13 MVCfans.com prediction - 6th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 6th place during the 2012-13 MVC mens basketball season?

Poll ended at September 18th, 2012, 5:58 am

Creighton
No votes
Drake
50%
Evansville
38%
Illinois State
2%
Northern Iowa
5%
Wichita State
6%

Total votes : 66

Re: Official 2012-13 MVCfans.com prediction - 6th Place

Postby Tom Servo » September 10th, 2012, 5:47 pm

As an Aces fan, I can totally understand picking the Aces here. There are a lot of question marks. The Freshman class is supposed to be good but we don't really know. We are all hoping Sawvell plays the four this year which could change the entire offensive and defensive attack. If he doesn't move to the four we will really struggle. But if he does move to the four he will finally give UE a three point shooting 4 man who can defend and rebound. I have a lot of confidence in Jaylon Moore to step up at the five, but no one knows if he will be able to or not. Also we have Jordan Jahr coming back after being hurt for most of the season last year. We'll just have to wait and see, but all in all I could see UE finishing anywhere from 6th to 2nd.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shockalot » September 10th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Right now I see Drake and Evansville as being very close and could see them probably finishing with identical records in Valley play. But 2 through 6 or 7 is a tough call this year with any kind of certainty. I think the Valley could be as strong this year as they were in '05/-06. I hope so, and I'd love to see the conference get 4 NCAA bids again as well, though I wouldn't bet on it....
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » September 10th, 2012, 8:49 pm

I picked Drake here over E-ville. While I think Drake has the better starting five, I see more depth in the Aces and an offensive scheme designed to score points on athletically superior opponents. All said though, I think the Bulldogs and Aces are very close and with the right breaks, either could be battling for second place.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » September 10th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Tough call as we are looking at two very talented teams with dynamic playmakers. Obviously Colt Ryan for the Aces, and for the Bulldogs, Ray...wait a minute. :?

In all seriousness, Phelps is what sealed the deal for me. Despite the return of SVD (hopefully he stays healthy all season) I don't think its enough to overcome the loss of Rice and the continued presence of Coach Mark Phelps.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » September 11th, 2012, 3:57 am

I'm torn with UE, DU and WSU here. The start of the year and the end of the year could be 2 entirely different animals.

Everyone knows WSU lost a ton, but even WSU fans will dismiss what being able to throw the ball to Stutz on the post did for the other players. His presence made others better. He's not being replaced.

Likewise, Holmes made Colt (and everyone else) better and made a ton of plays. His loss will be undervalued, HOWEVER, if Jahr is healthy, that kid will be a stud and brings a more dynamic skill set to the floor than did Denver. Now, he might not be the gamer Holmes was...but that has yet to be determined. On the other hand, winning consistently with youthful (and undersized) big men is not the usual recipe.

I know Drake fans think losing Rice is addition by subtraction but I disagree. The team may be happier and the locker room better but you don't replace what he brings to the table. SVD certainly makes the team better. Phelps does not.

It's probably going to be a play here, a 3 pointer there, that decide 4-5-6. I'm going Drake because of Phelps.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » September 11th, 2012, 8:08 am

I voted for WSU. Why? 5 new starters and all the sudden everyone expects them to be in the top 4.....really?

WSU loses 5 starters and everyone expects them to still compete for a top spot, but ISU loses 1 Freshman starter and all the sudden it is armageddon for the program. Not that I don't like WSU, but too much love is being given from fans/media for the upcomming season. I give them a year to be in the middle and then they will be in contention the following again.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby moshock » September 11th, 2012, 10:03 am

BirdmanBB wrote:I voted for WSU. Why? 5 new starters and all the sudden everyone expects them to be in the top 4.....really?

WSU loses 5 starters and everyone expects them to still compete for a top spot, but ISU loses 1 Freshman starter and all the sudden it is armageddon for the program. Not that I don't like WSU, but too much love is being given from fans/media for the upcomming season. I give them a year to be in the middle and then they will be in contention the following again.

Hall and WIlliams were both starters last season.
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snaggletooth » September 11th, 2012, 11:15 am

ACECARD wrote:I'm glad that there are so many people who are ignorant about the Aces this year. It will make it so much sweeter.

"Delusion of grander" usually end once the season starts and you have to play a game.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » September 11th, 2012, 11:22 am

BirdmanBB wrote:I voted for WSU. Why? 5 new starters and all the sudden everyone expects them to be in the top 4.....really?

I don't have a problem with that outlook. Any normal MVC team with the talent that WSU lost should be play-in team.

What WSU is trying to do doesn't fit the MVC model of build for 3 and have a good year ( for some schools it's build for 3 and hope you are good) and then build for 3..... - so other MVC fan should by cynical. WSU has a chance this year to prove they matured beyond the MVC model and show they are a FRANCHISE. But there are alot of if's and buts that will have to come together.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » September 11th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Im not seeing UNI too far out of this mix, if not in it. My prediction this year is more of a multi-team scramble at the top rather than a huge tie for third. I think it will be the most exciting year in a while, and I thought last year was also. My guess is two teams in the NCAAA's, more would be great. As for Phelps, I think he is 3-5 against Marshall, one game from 50-50.

It will be interesting how Indiana State does this year, Odum brings a lot of experience but haven't heard about the foot problem he had.
I think Antoine Young and Johnny Moran will be missed a ton on their respective teams, how many times did those guys hurt the opposition at the end of a game, or anytime for that matter.
At Wichita not only do they always have an athletic team and some break out player, but it is hard to beat the fans and their enthusiasm.
As for the Bulldogs I think there will be quite a bit of successful experience plus a lot of new guys trying to break into the mix.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball