Question to the beat writers - best MVC game you ever saw?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » September 17th, 2012, 6:16 am

Third part of the Q&A - thanks to those who answered.

The MVC Report - Best MVC game you ever saw?
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Question to the beat writers - best MVC game you ever sa

Postby LMS » September 17th, 2012, 8:56 am

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but the best game I ever saw in person was the CU-WSU game from Arch Madness. We were so far ahead and then totally collapsed only to have a really unbelievable ending with Booker's shot.

Distant second was Creighton vs Bradley on senior night a few years ago. 3 OTs, 111-110 final with Cavel Witter going off and Sam Singh missing a bunny as time expired.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby oneNEIGHBOR » September 17th, 2012, 11:34 am

LMS wrote:I'm not trying to start a flame war, but the best game I ever saw in person was the CU-WSU game from Arch Madness. We were so far ahead and then totally collapsed only to have a really unbelievable ending with Booker's shot.

That game had the widest range of emotions for me. Started out wondering why I drove all the way to St. Louis to watch a blow out, then pure joy as Toure hit the 3 to put WSU up, and finally utter dismay as the refs said the shot was good. What an unbelievable game.
Go Shockers!
Ready for some basketball!
oneNEIGHBOR
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby valleychamp » September 17th, 2012, 11:43 am

Best MVC game I have seen in person was probably Creighton at UNI last year. Hard to top a buzzer beating 3 for the win over a top 15 ranked team. Another game that was memorable for me was WSU in '10 at home. It was the two top teams in the conference, WSU had already beat UNI in Wichita, and this turned out to be the defacto MVC title game. It was a really good game won by UNI by like 2 or 3 points.

A few others that were awesome that I watched on TV, UNI at Ill St in '09--A double OT win at the buzzer by Adam Koch on the road in a must win game which allowed UNI to clinch MVC title at home a few days later. Also, from that same year, UNI vs Ill St in the MVC title game--another OT win for UNI that sent us to the NCAA tournament. Also, there is Benny J's buzzer beating 3 pointer to beat WSU in wichita in '05. Huge win that propelled UNI back to the tournament, and the 2OT MVC final win against MSU in '04 that got UNI back to the NCAA's for the first time since '90.
Last edited by valleychamp on September 17th, 2012, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » September 17th, 2012, 11:54 am

I think for most redbird fans last season's semi-final against WSU has to take the cake. Jackie Carmichael's buzzer beater against E-ville at home from three was pretty nice too.

Too many sad over time and near losses for this redbird fan to have many favorites. All of my memories are of getting smoked by Drake by 30 in the MVC final, countless losses to UNI and a pesky Indiana State team with a guy named Tunnel that came back and got us on our own court during the Osiris years. Been a fan since '02.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » September 17th, 2012, 12:30 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:I think for most redbird fans last season's semi-final against WSU has to take the cake. Jackie Carmichael's buzzer beater against E-ville at home from three was pretty nice too.

Too many sad over time and near losses for this redbird fan to have many favorites. All of my memories are of getting smoked by Drake by 30 in the MVC final, countless losses to UNI and a pesky Indiana State team with a guy named Tunnel that came back and got us on our own court during the Osiris years. Been a fan since '02.

I'd say the semis and final of Arch Madness might have been the 2 best I've seen.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUBear42 » September 17th, 2012, 7:53 pm

I wonder if Lyndal Scranton would've answered this with 'Missouri State @ UNI, 2010'

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeodKfwhjSA

-------

Best I've seen in person was Creighton @ Missouri State in 2010 or the UNI vs Missouri State Arch Madness Final that went to Overtime.
MSUBear42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jwa123 » September 17th, 2012, 8:46 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:I think for most redbird fans last season's semi-final against WSU has to take the cake. Jackie Carmichael's buzzer beater against E-ville at home from three was pretty nice too.

That was special but I have very fond memories of the Shockers visiting ISU at the old Horton Fieldhouse in I believe was '83. Rick Lamb and Hank Cornley vs Antoine Carr and Cliff Livingston under the backboards. Most physical game I have ever seen in person - it was brutal how all 4 pounded on each other. Horton was deafening loud and electricity was in the air. Birds came out with a win in a upset squeaker. This is my favorite all time game.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » September 18th, 2012, 4:38 pm

My kind of a homer answer is the Bears and Shockers final regular season game 2 years ago. The 2 teams had identical records and the MVC regular season championship was on the line. Both teams were very good and pretty evenly matched. IMO the Bears starting 5 was better but the Shockers were much deeper and more athletic.

The Bears led most of the way but it was very close. If it hadn't been for several big shots by Adam Leonard we probably would have lost. That and home court advantage was probably the deciding factor. One of the best college b-ball games I've been to in terms of atmosphere and crowd participation.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ihsi » September 19th, 2012, 7:54 am

MVCfans wrote:Third part of the Q&A - thanks to those who answered.

The MVC Report - Best MVC game you ever saw?

Creighton over Florida in the NCAA tournament. Best game I ever saw Creighton play was their tourney final win over SIU.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball