Best and worse thing about each Valley school:

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby CBB_Fan » September 21st, 2012, 6:58 pm

Every school has things that the alumni, students, and fans are proud of. Most also have a few things they would rather leave in the closet. What do you feel are the best and worst things about your school?

I'll try Wichita State, because I know the most about them.

Best: Urban environment + Business/Engineering schools

Wichita State has a big advantage over the other Valley schools because of its urban nature. It has its negatives, but it does provide ample opportunity to attract fans, and just as importantly, donor money. The main beneficiaries have been the Engineering and Business programs, which are very strong (especially Aerospace Engineering). Students get both high level teaching and the ability to interact with companies like Cessna, Boeing, Hawker Beechcraft, etc. I think a lot of the University's success comes from the environment and the sponsorship that is available in an urban setting.

Worst: Location

The biggest downside to Wichita State is its location. It is basically surrounded by the ghetto (at least, west of Hillside), and the area around the university has a very high crime rate for a small city. This is compounded by the low amount (and quality) of student housing.

Additionally, Wichita is in an inconvenient spot of the country. With no other major cities near by except Kansas City and Denver, it feels isolated at times from the rest of the country. Rumor has it Wichita became the air capital of the world simply because the people living there couldn't escape fast enough by car.

Also, Wichita State doesn't have a lot of space to expand because of the city/ghetto around it. The only really logical thing to do is build over the golf course on campus (and buy the golf course nearby), but will likely be a decade-long, very expensive project. Either way, the campus doesn't really have much space to expand, to build a new football stadium for example.

What about the rest of the Valley? What are you proud of and what do you regret?
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Best and worse thing about each Valley school:

Postby Ricardo del Rio » September 22nd, 2012, 9:19 am

I am sure a new football stadium is at the top of WSU's "To Do" list.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » September 23rd, 2012, 9:02 am

I have legitimately been concerned for my safety walking around Wichita State's campus and surrounding area in the twilight. I think that makes it difficult for the entire university.

For Missouri State it is tough to focus on just one specific "best" thing. We are fortunate to be located in a great state and a tremendous city that isn't too urban, nor too dangerous yet one that still has plenty of things to do for excitement. We are in an area where we can realistically hope of being the premiere athletic program in the Ozarks. Arkansas and Missou aren't that great. No other school in the Valley has the geographic potential that we do. We are in a gold mine of an area where we can someday grow into being a true athletic power in anything that we want to be. Springfield is much nicer and faster growing than Columbia, Fayetteville, Jonesboro, etc. If we could just have that one magical George Mason/Butler/VCU FF run or an Appalachian State/Louisiana-Monroe type football upset I think it will truly galvanize our whole region from the Iowa border into the middle of Arkansas and from the Kansas border through Illinois and into Kentucky and Tennessee.

The worst thing is that we have the most apathetic set of fans probably in the entire country. We have students with floppy hair, wearing those rediculous plastic sunglasses and wearing their Sperry's that go to Fayetteville or Columbia on weekends to tailgate and watch football. They are somehow above a Murray State/MSU football game. It drives me nuts. At one game last year I saw a group of three frat boys wearing Missou, Arkansas, and a Drury swimming T-Shirt and going to the Illinois State football game. I lost my temper a little bit and said some choice words but encouraged them to wear maroon next time. They just looked at me expressionless. But that is what we deal with on a daily basis and it drives me completely bonkers. If we don't get it changed we are never going to be what we could be as a university.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » September 23rd, 2012, 9:45 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I have legitimately been concerned for my safety walking around Wichita State's campus and surrounding area in the twilight. I think that makes it difficult for the entire university.

I've been legitimately concerned driving around in daylight not far from WSU campus, but never concerned on campus at any time.

On the other hand, I did feel uneasy walking on MSU campus at night. I think it might have something to do with the familiarity one has with an area. Or maybe one's feeling of safety is directly correlated with that individuals willingness to yell at a group of strangers based solely on their attire?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » September 23rd, 2012, 12:32 pm

Wufan wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I have legitimately been concerned for my safety walking around Wichita State's campus and surrounding area in the twilight. I think that makes it difficult for the entire university.

I've been legitimately concerned driving around in daylight not far from WSU campus, but never concerned on campus at any time.

On the other hand, I did feel uneasy walking on MSU campus at night. I think it might have something to do with the familiarity one has with an area. Or maybe one's feeling of safety is directly correlated with that individuals willingness to yell at a group of strangers based solely on their attire?

I've parked in that area off campus to go to games for years and never had a problem. CBB must be one of those big money guys who pays big bucks to pay next to the arena because he's afraid. What a piece of work.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 23rd, 2012, 2:57 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:Wichita State has a big advantage over the other Valley schools because of its urban nature.

:huh:
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » September 23rd, 2012, 3:30 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
CBB_Fan wrote:Wichita State has a big advantage over the other Valley schools because of its urban nature.

:huh:

Later in his post, CBB_Fan also seemed to indicate that the urban nature of WSU was also it's biggest drawback.

But, yeah, WSU is hardly the only MVC school in an urban setting. Drake, Creighton and Bradley for sure are. Not certain about MSU or Evansville.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glm38 » September 23rd, 2012, 6:39 pm

Wufan wrote:

:lol: :lol: That's funny! I do see what Casey is saying though. Drives me crazy to see mu apparal at msu functions. I'd never confront anyone about it though. Its a free country after all.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » September 23rd, 2012, 6:44 pm

Wufan wrote:

I never threatened those students. I just used some colorful language. I'd imagine that people attending Shox events at Koch who wear K-State or Kansas shirts would get similar treatment. And to clarify I'm sure the WSU campus is relatively safe. If I had more intimate knowledge of the area I probably would not have been as uneasy as I was.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » September 23rd, 2012, 7:10 pm

All in fun Casey. :buddies:
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball