Best and worse thing about each Valley school:

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best and worse thing about each Valley school:

Postby Wufan » September 24th, 2012, 11:50 am

Red wrote:I think Normal is a lot like some other MVC cities where the plusses and the minuses are the same - small college town dominated by the university so there aren't lots of big city things, but college life is awesome.

Because of that environment, a leap to FBS football seems like the right move for Ill St. While larger metros have more economic resources, they also have more competition for entertainment. Also, not everyone in an urban environment is a hometown fan.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CBB_Fan » September 24th, 2012, 12:06 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
CBB_Fan wrote:To be fair, I was not trying to say Wichita is better than the cities of every other school.

Really? Here is what you said:
CBB_Fan wrote:Wichita State has a big advantage over the other Valley schools because of its urban nature.

If you really didn't mean all of the schools, you probably should have put "some of" after the word 'over' in the above quote.... For people who know a little about the different Valley cities, your initial post didn't really make a lot sense. Even after your purported explanation, I still don't understand what point you are really trying to make. I think you meant exactly what you said, but are/were just pretty ignorant about the other cities.... You might want to consider traveling from Wichita once in a while to see what else is out there in the midwest.

I didn't remember the "the" in that sentence; in my mind it went more like "Wichita has a big advantage over other Valley schools." Implying that the less urban Valley schools wouldn't have the same advantages, but the urban ones would. Besides, one of my main points (which I've said several times) is Wichita aviation connection.

And of course, I did not start off by saying "every other Valley school sucks, nah-nah-nah-nah." I said I know more about Wichita than other schools. Your biggest attack is something I admitted in my first post. If someone asks you a question, do you rip them for not knowing the answer because of the way they said it? You took my post badly, ignored the idea of the thread, and tried to make it all about Creighton vs Wichita. Which is funny, because you never took exception to the fact that I claimed Wichita has a dangerous side. Surely Springfield or Evansville or Omaha can compete with Wichita in crime, right? And the fact remains that only Creighton is in a bigger metropolitan area and has a bigger foundation.

Alright, I'm done ranting.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LMS » September 24th, 2012, 12:43 pm

In terms of things to do, Des Moines probably comes closest to Omaha.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby C0|db|00ded » September 24th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Somebody didn't make the mistake (again) of trying to portray Omaha as a destination city did they? :Bam:

LMFAO!!!

Omahell is literally inundated with cattle and pig feedlots. The smell is so bad your eyes literally tear up when the wind blows the wrong way.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » September 24th, 2012, 3:10 pm

C0|db|00ded wrote:Somebody didn't make the mistake (again) of trying to portray Omaha as a destination city did they? :Bam:

LMFAO!!!

Omahell is literally inundated with cattle and pig feedlots. The smell is so bad your eyes literally tear up when the wind blows the wrong way.

T

...:cool:

You were close. Omaha is a hellhole, but you have to look no further than the toxic waste in the city and all of the Superfund sites. You missed the boat on the pigs, however. Cattle, yes, pigs no. And anyone in Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Missouri or Iowa knows that they are hogs, not pigs. That said, Nebraska and more specifically, Omaha, don't have hogs. Hogs are kept in Iowa, and Des Moines is home to the International Pork Congress and the World Pork Expo.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » September 24th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Someone will probably beat me around the head and shoulders for this post, but here goes.

It seems like that I have read a newspaper article, which stated that despite WSU's location, it is highly rated among all universities for campus safety.

Yes, you can call me crazy.

Ok, ok, I looked it up.

According to one website, WSU's rating is 80.4 out of a 100.0. As I understand the rating system, it places WSU in the top 20% of the safest campuses.

Highly rated might be a stretch. Well rated might be a better descriptor.

Go here for more information: http://www.stateuniversity.com/rank/saf ... _rank.html
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 24th, 2012, 3:27 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
CBB_Fan wrote:To be fair, I was not trying to say Wichita is better than the cities of every other school.

Really? Here is what you said:
CBB_Fan wrote:Wichita State has a big advantage over the other Valley schools because of its urban nature.

If you really didn't mean all of the schools, you probably should have put "some of" after the word 'over' in the above quote.... For people who know a little about the different Valley cities, your initial post didn't really make a lot sense. Even after your purported explanation, I still don't understand what point you are really trying to make. I think you meant exactly what you said, but are/were just pretty ignorant about the other cities.... You might want to consider traveling from Wichita once in a while to see what else is out there in the midwest.

I didn't remember the "the" in that sentence; in my mind it went more like "Wichita has a big advantage over other Valley schools." Implying that the less urban Valley schools wouldn't have the same advantages, but the urban ones would. Besides, one of my main points (which I've said several times) is Wichita aviation connection.

And of course, I did not start off by saying "every other Valley school sucks, nah-nah-nah-nah." I said I know more about Wichita than other schools. Your biggest attack is something I admitted in my first post. If someone asks you a question, do you rip them for not knowing the answer because of the way they said it? You took my post badly, ignored the idea of the thread, and tried to make it all about Creighton vs Wichita. Which is funny, because you never took exception to the fact that I claimed Wichita has a dangerous side. Surely Springfield or Evansville or Omaha can compete with Wichita in crime, right? And the fact remains that only Creighton is in a bigger metropolitan area and has a bigger foundation.

Alright, I'm done ranting.

It was not my intent to turn this into an Omaha vs. Wichita thing.

I just took issue with your original premise that WSU has a big advantage over the other Valley schools because of its urban nature and used Omaha/Creighton as a way to illustrate why you were wrong. Obviously I wasn't the only one that read your post that way as DUBulldog had the exact same interpretation that I did.

By the way, this may be one of my favorite quotes ever (I added the emphasis):
CBB_Fan wrote:I didn't remember the "the" in that sentence; in my mind it went more like "Wichita has a big advantage over other Valley schools."

Reading that, I have to ask ---- are you a woman? :D
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CBB_Fan » September 24th, 2012, 6:03 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:It was not my intent to turn this into an Omaha vs. Wichita thing.

I just took issue with your original premise that WSU has a big advantage over the other Valley schools because of its urban nature and used Omaha/Creighton as a way to illustrate why you were wrong. Obviously I wasn't the only one that read your post that way as DUBulldog had the exact same interpretation that I did.

CBB_Fan wrote:I didn't remember the "the" in that sentence; in my mind it went more like "Wichita has a big advantage over other Valley schools."

Pretty sure I'm not a woman. Just a person who has a tendency to write down things without making sure my intended meaning gets across.

Ricardo del Rio wrote:Someone will probably beat me around the head and shoulders for this post, but here goes.

It seems like that I have read a newspaper article, which stated that despite WSU's location, it is highly rated among all universities for campus safety.

Ok, ok, I looked it up.

According to one website, WSU's rating is 80.4 out of a 100.0. As I understand the rating system, it places WSU in the top 20% of the safest campuses.

Go here for more information: http://www.stateuniversity.com/rank/saf ... _rank.html

The campus itself is pretty safe. They have a fairly large police force on campus, and I've never had any problem on campus. I have, however, heard horror stories, even some dating back to the MLK assassination (black students on campus rioted, and were rolling police cars down Hillside). On the professors I know lived west of Hillside when he went to school; he left after his apartment was robbed and he found a police helicopter spotlighting his house.

Wichita State only has about housing for a couple thousand students, which makes it a problem. A lot of the people living in the area are not students, and it would be fairly accurate to call parts of the area around the school a ghetto (low cost homes, broken down cars, and high rates of crime.)
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 24th, 2012, 7:23 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:It was not my intent to turn this into an Omaha vs. Wichita thing.

Pretty sure I'm not a woman. Just a person who has a tendency to write down things without making sure my intended meaning gets across.

Just a joke...sounded like something my wife would say... :D
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » September 25th, 2012, 12:24 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:Someone will probably beat me around the head and shoulders for this post, but here goes.

Ok, ok, I looked it up.

Neat find. Fwiw, UNI was 135th in the nation with a 93.45 rating. Didn't take the time to see where everyone else fell, sorry.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball