Early outlook

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early outlook

Postby 2livewu » September 22nd, 2012, 1:28 pm

Wufan wrote:I absolutely agree that JUCO stats/rankings do not equal D-I success. We've all seen that over and over again. I just pulled Cleanthony's stats from NJCAA.org and was wowed by the numbers…hence my post consisting of facts alone without any speculation of what he may or may not do at WSU.

Here's some quotes about Cleanthony after the summer practices:

August 1, From Shocker beat-writer Paul Sullentrop; "Forward Cleanthony Early is WSU’s highest-profile newcomer after winning two NJCAA Division III Player of the Year honors at Sullivan (N.Y.) County Community College. Marshall describes Early as “raw” and said he made a lot of progress over the summer, in part because he had the most to learn. The task with Early, it appears will be adapting his natural talent and basketball instincts to the demands of Division I basketball. “I told him (Monday) he was probably the most improved from one day to the next, from the start,” Marshall said. “At the beginning, he may have been the worst out there. He had a considerable ways to go, but he certainly improved.” Marshall mentioned screening, cutting, defending, taking good shots as areas Early figured out over the summer."

September 1, Marshall on Cleanthony Early "He's a tremendous talent. He's got all the attributes to be a big time player."

wufan, do you have links to these quotes? (I only ask because I've heard differing reports). Thanks!
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » September 22nd, 2012, 2:05 pm

I got the first one here:

http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/page/2/

The second one is off of Twitter, but there's a recap on shockernet, MBB forum, p 2...notable quotes or something.

Btw, what have you heard? It makes for interesting discussion, at least for me.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » September 22nd, 2012, 7:07 pm

Here is some Marshall quotes:

Early: he was probably the most improved from one day to the next, from the start,” Marshall said. “At the beginning, he may have been the worst out there. He had a considerable ways to go, but he certainly improved.”

Chadrack Lufile, a transfer from Coffeyville, didn’t start practice until July. He impressed Marshall by showing up in shape. “He was a pleasant surprise,” Marshall said. “He’s going to have an impact. He’s in pretty good shape, and I was expecting him to come in out of shape and not ready for this. He was able to compete right away and not be a laggard out there.”

Fred VanVleet “Really solid,” Marshall said. “Easy to coach. He understands. Very competitive. Winner.

Carl Hall“Carl’s improved his skill level and his understanding from a year ago, it’s certainly apparent,” Marshall said.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 23rd, 2012, 8:11 am

I think Early looks like a great addition. Wish he was a Bear. But just about all juncos struggle with some aspects of D1 their 1stt year.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 23rd, 2012, 8:22 am

glm38 wrote:I think Early looks like a great addition. Wish he was a Bear. But just about all juncos struggle with some aspects of D1 their 1stt year.

Absolutely. While Early has superior athletic ability (even by NCAA D-I standards) he will need to learn to play when his athletic dominance is not enough to overcome strong coordinated defenses. I'm worried about him turning the ball over too much to be effective as well.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TNMSUFAN » September 23rd, 2012, 10:48 am

Nafis Ricks was the DII Juco POY and Gulley averaged 24pts per game in juco...both were/are solid players for us but both struggled at times. I sure Early will be similar for WSU.
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » September 23rd, 2012, 11:03 am

TNMSUFAN wrote:Nafis Ricks was the DII Juco POY and Gulley averaged 24pts per game in juco...both were/are solid players for us but both struggled at times. I sure Early will be similar for WSU.

I agree. I'm sure he and fellow AA Nick Wiggins will be hit and miss, especially early in the season. Hopefully they'll learn the system quickly and limit mistakes. If so, at 6-6 and 6-8 they will be invaluable @ SG and SF respectively.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » September 23rd, 2012, 2:47 pm

WSU key to this year is not Early or Wiggins, but it will be the development and progression of the likes of:

F Jake White
G Tekele Cotton
F Carl Hall
G Demtric Williams
C EO

These guys have been in the program and now need to step and make an impact (or bigger impact) with their play and leadership. If these guys are solid, then the program will be on solid footing and Early, Wiggins, Van Vleet will be able develop without significant pressure to perform consistently every game.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 23rd, 2012, 3:03 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:WSU key to this year is not Early or Wiggins, but it will be the development and progression of the likes of:

F Jake White
G Tekele Cotton
F Carl Hall
G Demtric Williams
C EO

These guys have been in the program and now need to step and make an impact (or bigger impact) with their play and leadership. If these guys are solid, then the program will be on solid footing and Early, Wiggins, Van Vleet will be able develop without significant pressure to perform consistently every game.

When you add Armstead, Baker, Mitchell (all red-shirt guards) and Wessel to that group we don't look as short on experience.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 23rd, 2012, 6:27 pm

Regarding Early - I think I saw several posts on shockernet that he may even be talented enough that he will be a pro prospect? True?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball