Predict your schools' minutes

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Hail Our Panthers » September 27th, 2012, 6:12 am

This is probably a little early, but I want to get everybody's thoughts before I make another post a little later that will use this information.

1) Lot of wild cards this year with all the new players that should get significant minutes.
2) I would love to hear that Olivier will step up to a give us some more post presence, but reports out of practice seemed to indicate that he is out of shape and will not play a major role
3) Who will be the first guard off the bench? We haven't seen much from Bohannon, but I feel like he is going to get more minutes than Morrison.
4) What role will Buss play? I see him getting more minutes than Olivier but fewer than Chip.
5) Pehl has improved a great deal, but I think there's too much talent around him this year and his minutes will drop.
6) Singleton. He wasn't getting Pehl's minutes last year. Was this because he just didn't have the body to compete yet? I see him being stuck behind a log-jam this year again. Has a guy ever been red-shirted his sophomore year after not playing his freshman year for reasons other than medical?

I really don't know what to expect from the newcomers, but here are my best guesses:

C Tuttle, So..........25
PF Koch, Sr...........27
SF Sonnen, Sr.......28
SG James, Sr.........27
PG Deon, So..........26
Rank, Jr................19
Bohannon, Fr.........17
Buss, So...............14
Morrison, So..........13
Martino, So...........10
Olivier, Fr..............6
Pehl, Sr.................5
Singleton, So.........4
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Predict your schools' minutes

Postby Wufan » September 27th, 2012, 6:17 pm

I'll play, but this is a real shot in the dark.

Sure fire starters. No one will take their spot in the line-up. If someone is better at their position, they will find a new position for this guy:

Carl Hall - 25 minutes

Players that will see major playing time independent of how other perform. They may not start, but this group was selected because they have shown the ability to play defense and execute on offense at the D-I level:

Malcolm Armstead - 23 minutes
Demetric Williams - 22 minutes
Tekele Cotton - 22 minutes

Guys that will be in the rotation. These players could start or come off the bench. Their PT will depend on how they compete in practice, how well they understand offensive and defensive concepts, need at position and their ability to execute in game situations:

Fred VanVleet - 17 minutes
Ron Baker - 17 minutes
Nick Wiggins - 18 minutes
Cleanthony Early - 16 minutes
Jake White - 19 minutes

Players that could start or be third string at their position. These players must prove themselves and their PT depends on how others develop:

Ehimen Orukpe - 11 minutes
Chadrack Lufile -10 minutes

Not this year is a list of players that must redshirt, are likely to redshirt, or just won't be able to overcome the competition:

Zach Bush - Must RS
Kadeem Coleby - Must RS
Joe Mitchell - Won't beat out the seniors (or freshman) in front of him.
Derail Green - Likely RS
Evan Wessel - Should RS
Last edited by Wufan on September 27th, 2012, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 27th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Hail Our Panthers wrote:Lot of wild cards this year with all the new players that should get significant minutes.

You have two newcomers. At WSU we have 10 players that have never posted a minute of game action in a WSU uniform.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » September 27th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Here is my guess for CU (some of the positions are interchangeable):

Starters/Reserves:
C: Echenique (25)/Artino (10)/Groselle (5)
F: McDermott (30)/Wragge (15)
F: Gibbs (30)/Dingman (15)/Johnson (10)
G: Manigat (15)/Jones (15)
G: Chatman (20)/Yates(10)

My guess is that Isaiah Zierdan redshirts.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 27th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Can Manigat or Jones play PG?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 27th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Jet915 wrote:Here is my guess for CU (some of the positions are interchangeable):

Starters/Reserves:

Also, looking at that line-up, any concern with Wragge being the loan back-up PF? What he does, he does well, but he's so one dimensional. I suppose if you are only going to have one weakness, Wragge is a pretty good one to have.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » September 27th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Wufan wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Here is my guess for CU (some of the positions are interchangeable):

Starters/Reserves:

Also, looking at that line-up, any concern with Wragge being the loan back-up PF? What he does, he does well, but he's so one dimensional. I suppose if you are only going to have one weakness, Wragge is a pretty good one to have.

Manigat and Jones cannot really play PG. I think they tried Manigat at the point a few times as a freshman and it really didn't work out. Gibbs though is really a point forward, he led the team last year in assists which makes losing Young and having Chatman start more palatable as long as Gibbs is there. Wragge wouldn't be the only back-up PF, Artino can definitely play the PF position.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » September 27th, 2012, 8:10 pm

My guess for Drake:

Center: Van Deest 25, Clarke 10, Puleikis 5
Power Foward: Clarke 15, King 15, Jeffers 10
Small Forward: Simons 30, Babineaux 10
Shooting guard: Hines 25, Mason 10, Ricks 5
Point guard: Carter 30, Madison 10
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 27th, 2012, 8:24 pm

I'm gonna disagree with Jet a bit ---

Manigat certainly can play PG. The problem his freshman year was more the fact that we needed Young on the floor because we didn't have many other scorers, not that Manigat couldn't handle the point. And yes, Gibbs is essentially another PG every time he is on the floor. PG will have a different role this year - more of a distributor and defender, less of a scorer. Except for the fact that they are both lightening quick, the games of Chatman and Antoine Young are exactly opposite.

Last year Wragge backed up Doug and spent some time at center. He's a pure shooter and decent rebounder, so I think we are fine. We didn't lose any bigs from last year and depth never seemed an issue among the bigs then. Artino, at 6'11", can certainly play the 4 and would be a size mismatch. If necessary, Nevin Johnson and Avery Dingman could probably fill in. Basically we have 5 guys (McDermott, Echenique, Wragge, Artino, Groselle) to play 5 positions. I'm actually more curious if there are enough minutes to go around than I am worried about depth.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockalot » September 27th, 2012, 8:32 pm

A somewhat different shot in the dark for WSU:

PG: Armstead 24; VanVleet 15; Mitchell 1
SG: Williams 22; Cotton 18
SF: Wiggins 20; Baker 13; Early 7
PF: Early 14; Hall 14; White 12
C: Orupke 14; Hall 13; Lufile 13

Agree that those not listed should or will redshirt, though a couple actually could play. Too many variables, not enough known at this point. The wing positions being the most likely place for significant flux to occur in my estimation.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball