Predict your schools' minutes

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Predict your schools' minutes

Postby Hail Our Panthers » September 28th, 2012, 11:11 am

Turner wrote:
Hail Our Panthers wrote:I really don't know what to expect from the newcomers, but here are my best guesses:

C Tuttle, So..........25
PF Koch, Sr...........27
SF Sonnen, Sr.......28
SG James, Sr.........27
PG Deon, So..........26
Rank, Jr................19
Bohannon, Fr.........17
Buss, So...............14
Morrison, So..........13
Martino, So...........10
Olivier, Fr..............6
Pehl, Sr.................5
Singleton, So.........4

You realize there's only 200 minutes available per game right? :huh:

Look at the total minutes for any given team, the total average minutes/game often fall anywhere from 210 to 220 minutes. It comes from rounding minutes up and overtime games, I would imagine. Last years total average for UNI was 211.1. I don't think I need to do any further research to prove my point.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ictjay » September 28th, 2012, 11:30 am

shockalot wrote:A somewhat different shot in the dark for WSU:

PG: Armstead 24; VanVleet 15; Mitchell 1
SG: Williams 22; Cotton 18
SF: Wiggins 20; Baker 13; Early 7
PF: Early 14; Hall 14; White 12
C: Orupke 14; Hall 13; Lufile 13

Agree that those not listed should or will redshirt, though a couple actually could play. Too many variables, not enough known at this point. The wing positions being the most likely place for significant flux to occur in my estimation.

CU is somewhat set. I also follow the Shocks closely so here goes.
PG Armstead 28; Van Vleet 12
SG Williams 15; Cotton 10; Wiggins 10; Baker 5;
SF Wiggins 20; Early 15; Williams 5;
PF Early 15; White 15; Hall 10
C Hall 20; Orupke 13; Lufile 7
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby havoc » September 28th, 2012, 11:30 am

Hail Our Panthers wrote:
Look at the total minutes for any given team, the total average minutes/game often fall anywhere from 210 to 220 minutes. It comes from rounding minutes up and overtime games, I would imagine. Last years total average for UNI was 211.1. I don't think I need to do any further research to prove my point.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Look at the number in the games played column and with that information in mind see if you can come up with a reason why the average minutes per game is 11.1 minutes over 200. I'll give you a hint. It has very little to do with rounding or overtime.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Hail Our Panthers » September 28th, 2012, 11:38 am

Even if I round every player (where his avg. minutes per game is xx.x) on UNI's roster last year, the total still adds up to over 200.

You don't have to play a full minute to get a minute of playing time in the scorebook.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Hail Our Panthers » September 28th, 2012, 11:41 am

Johnny Flynn is down for playing 67 minutes in that 6OT game a few years back. How could that not result in averaging more than 200 minutes per game per season?

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290710041
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » September 28th, 2012, 11:43 am

If player A plays 10 games and player B plays 20 games, then you will end up with more minutes played than available. I figured for the course of this exercise most would not include the 7 mpg player that only plays 10 games…That player is not in the rotation.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » September 28th, 2012, 11:47 am

Hail Our Panthers wrote:Even if I round every player (where his avg. minutes per game is xx.x) on UNI's roster last year, the total still adds up to over 200.

You don't have to play a full minute to get a minute of playing time in the scorebook.

Again, rounding has very little of a difference. I was hoping you would see it for yourself from my last point, but obviously you didn't.

UNI played 34 games last year, correct? Only 5 players played in all 34 games. When you calculate a players MPG statistic, they divide his total minutes played by the total number of games he played in, not how many games UNI played. If you want to add numbers together and get something very close to 200, you have to divide the players total minutes by 34. When you add the averages listed in UNI's season statistics, Nate Buss's 2 MPG has more weighting then it really should since he only really played about .1 minutes per UNI game.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Hail Our Panthers » September 28th, 2012, 11:50 am

Wufan wrote:If player A plays 10 games and player B plays 20 games, then you will end up with more minutes played than available. I figured for the course of this exercise most would not include the 7 mpg player that only plays 10 games…That player is not in the rotation.

Understandable, I was hoping to get specific estimates, including the bench players not in the rotation. This was so I could get teams' approximate class per minute projections, a tool that could be used in some research I have done relating to experience and MVC basketball.
Last edited by Hail Our Panthers on September 28th, 2012, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Hail Our Panthers » September 28th, 2012, 11:54 am

havoc wrote:
Hail Our Panthers wrote:Even if I round every player (where his avg. minutes per game is xx.x) on UNI's roster last year, the total still adds up to over 200.

Again, rounding has very little of a difference. I was hoping you would see it for yourself from my last point, but obviously you didn't.

UNI played 34 games last year, correct? Only 5 players played in all 34 games. When you calculate a players MPG statistic, they divide his total minutes played by the total number of games he played in, not how many games UNI played. If you want to add numbers together and get something very close to 200, you have to divide the players total minutes by 34. When you add the averages listed in UNI's season statistics, Nate Buss's 2 MPG has more weighting then it really should since he only really played about .1 minutes per UNI game.

The mathematics of it make perfect sense, but isn't it true that a player doesn't have to play a full minute to get a minute on the score card? (honestly isn't it? Thats my understanding but I'm not sure) What if you enter a guy who hasn't played all game in the final minute for a defense stop. He rebounds a ball and gets taken out after 15 seconds of play. Even though he didn't play a full minute, he gets a minute on the scorecard, correct? They could then enter a different player for 15 seconds and the same thing happens. Two players who both get a minute on the scorecard dispite the fact that only one minute of game play happened. Thats where the 201.1 can come into play, from my understanding.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby havoc » September 28th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Hail Our Panthers wrote:
The mathematics of it make perfect sense, but isn't it true that a player doesn't have to play a full minute to get a minute on the score card? (honestly isn't it? Thats my understanding but I'm not sure) What if you enter a guy who hasn't played all game in the final minute for a defense stop. He rebounds a ball and gets taken out after 15 seconds of play. Even though he didn't play a full minute, he gets a minute on the scorecard, correct? They could then enter a different player for 15 seconds and the same thing happens. Two players who both get a minute on the scorecard dispite the fact that only one minute of game play happened. Thats where the 201.1 can come into play, from my understanding.

No, if a player does not play at least a full minute, they get a 0+ in the scorebook. I just checked 5 games really quickly, and in none of those games did either team's total minutes played not add up to 200.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball