Predict your schools' minutes

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Predict your schools' minutes

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 28th, 2012, 12:16 pm

havoc wrote:
Hail Our Panthers wrote:Even if I round every player (where his avg. minutes per game is xx.x) on UNI's roster last year, the total still adds up to over 200.

You don't have to play a full minute to get a minute of playing time in the scorebook.

Again, rounding has very little of a difference. I was hoping you would see it for yourself from my last point, but obviously you didn't.

UNI played 34 games last year, correct? Only 5 players played in all 34 games. When you calculate a players MPG statistic, they divide his total minutes played by the total number of games he played in, not how many games UNI played. If you want to add numbers together and get something very close to 200, you have to divide the players total minutes by 34. When you add the averages listed in UNI's season statistics, Nate Buss's 2 MPG has more weighting then it really should since he only really played about .1 minutes per UNI game.

Nice explanation, havoc.

I see why Evansville won the academic award this year and UNI did not.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 28th, 2012, 12:18 pm

havoc wrote:
Hail Our Panthers wrote:
The mathematics of it make perfect sense, but isn't it true that a player doesn't have to play a full minute to get a minute on the score card? (honestly isn't it? Thats my understanding but I'm not sure) What if you enter a guy who hasn't played all game in the final minute for a defense stop. He rebounds a ball and gets taken out after 15 seconds of play. Even though he didn't play a full minute, he gets a minute on the scorecard, correct? They could then enter a different player for 15 seconds and the same thing happens. Two players who both get a minute on the scorecard dispite the fact that only one minute of game play happened. Thats where the 201.1 can come into play, from my understanding.

No, if a player does not play at least a full minute, they get a 0+ in the scorebook. I just checked 5 games really quickly, and in none of those games did either team's total minutes played not add up to 200.

Havoc is right again. If a player doesn't not play a full minute (and the scorekeeper is keeping stats properly) the player shows up at 0+ minutes.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Hail Our Panthers » September 28th, 2012, 1:02 pm

havoc wrote:No, if a player does not play at least a full minute, they get a 0+ in the scorebook. I just checked 5 games really quickly, and in none of those games did either team's total minutes played not add up to 200.

OK thanks, I really wasn't sure on that. It didn't seem right to me that a player could have 0 minutes and 2 points or 1 rebound or whatever.

That issue aside, I was originally just defending why my players' average minutes added up to over 200. I was looking it as average minutes over a season, not the average single game. I understand the confusion if someone else was looking at a different way.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » September 28th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Wufan wrote:I'll play, but this is a real shot in the dark.

Sure fire starters. No one will take their spot in the line-up. If someone is better at their position, they will find a new position for this guy:

Carl Hall - 25 minutes

Players that will see major playing time independent of how other perform. They may not start, but this group was selected because they have shown the ability to play defense and execute on offense at the D-I level:

Malcolm Armstead - 23 minutes
Demetric Williams - 22 minutes
Tekele Cotton - 22 minutes

Guys that will be in the rotation. These players could start or come off the bench. Their PT will depend on how they compete in practice, how well they understand offensive and defensive concepts, need at position and their ability to execute in game situations:

Fred VanVleet - 17 minutes
Ron Baker - 17 minutes
Nick Wiggins - 18 minutes
Cleanthony Early - 16 minutes
Jake White - 19 minutes

Players that could start or be third string at their position. These players must prove themselves and their PT depends on how others develop:

Ehimen Orukpe - 11 minutes
Chadrack Lufile -10 minutes

Not this year is a list of players that must redshirt, are likely to redshirt, or just won't be able to overcome the competition:

Zach Bush - Must RS
Kadeem Coleby - Must RS
Joe Mitchell - Won't beat out the seniors (or freshman) in front of him.
Derail Green - Likely RS
Evan Wessel - Should RS

EO with 13
Lufile with 11
Mitchell with 6
Wessel with 6
Van Vleet with 19

The above was edited based on Hail Our Panthers stipulations around minutes. I believe the four listed above won't play in every game, but there MPG will go up slightly since they will see significant minutes in blow outs.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball