Freshman of the Year / Newcomer of the Year Nominees

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Freshman of the Year / Newcomer of the Year Nominees

Postby shockem » October 4th, 2012, 1:11 pm

I like Thurman and think he'll be a very good player at SMS. I was hoping he would come to WSU but we just didn't have the room for him. He'll get good minutes and have a good career at SMS. Hopefully he doesn't turn into the next version of Johhny Murdock and make us pay for the next 4 years.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEARZ77 » October 4th, 2012, 5:46 pm

shockem wrote:I like Thurman and think he'll be a very good player at SMS. I was hoping he would come to WSU but we just didn't have the room for him. He'll get good minutes and have a good career at SMS. Hopefully he doesn't turn into the next version of Johhny Murdock and make us pay for the next 4 years.

You had room, he said NO!
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » October 9th, 2012, 11:05 pm

There aren't many WSU posters left here, but...

...Ron Baker hasn't played a single game in the Valley, but in practice videos, he was hitting 3's from where you have your logos on the court close to the half-court line.

Fred VanVleet is higher-rated coming into the league than Dougie McD. No Shox fans expect FVV to do anything close to what Dougie has done. VanVleet probably won't get the minutes for FoY or NoY.

Cleanthony Early was rated the #1 or #2 JuCo player in the nation last year (all classifications). Word is that he's got a lot of "JuCo" to get rid of before he's going to be effective in D1. Videos show that he's got a full-speed cross-over that gets him to the basket in transition and he's "effective" (35% or so) from 3.

Nick Wiggins (6'6") has the quickness and speed to keep up with the 6'4" 3rd guards the Valley tends to put on the floor. So does Early (6'8"). They're both looking at playing SF, so neither is likely to get the minutes for NoY.

Then there's Lufile. 6'9", 250 - and in D1 shape at that weight. Not that great in JuCo. Something like 13 points, 8 boards, and a lot of blocks. Likely to be the backup to EO, so won't have the minutes for NoY.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 10th, 2012, 5:32 am

Fair and balanced analysis by Aargh, but he left out Armstead.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball