Flopping in college basketball

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Flopping in college basketball

Postby valleychamp » October 4th, 2012, 8:20 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
valleychamp wrote:2nd post. That took about as long as expected.

Seems like an easily cured situation to me. Stop flopping and nobody would say a word. It has, unfortunately, become a chronic, repetitive situation at UNI.

Monetary fines would never work at the college level, but for conference games only, a conference could institute rules for suspension. They do something like that in soccer already -- if you have a certain number of cards, you are suspended for a game. I'd love to see a rule like that for flopping.

UNI just knows how to play defense better than most, and get in front of people. You don't like it, stop charging and STFU. Its not illegal, its not cheating, its not dirty. Its defense. Deal with it crybaby.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby agrinut » October 5th, 2012, 7:46 am

valleychamp wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
valleychamp wrote:2nd post. That took about as long as expected.

Seems like an easily cured situation to me. Stop flopping and nobody would say a word. It has, unfortunately, become a chronic, repetitive situation at UNI.

Monetary fines would never work at the college level, but for conference games only, a conference could institute rules for suspension. They do something like that in soccer already -- if you have a certain number of cards, you are suspended for a game. I'd love to see a rule like that for flopping.

UNI just knows how to play defense better than most, and get in front of people. You don't like it, stop charging and STFU. Its not illegal, its not cheating, its not dirty. Its defense. Deal with it crybaby.

While I agree that taking a charge is legal, I disagree in your assessment of the Pantyer D. Slowing the ball down so drastically that there are 20 less possessions a games is not Defense. Now what UNI does very well is pack the lane and force teams to make shots or even take bad shots. The issue I have with the panthers flopping is a 6'9 post player flailing on the ground like Ray Lewis just hit him. Play the ball not the player right? I would rather see my player try to make a play, rather then waiting on the officials to bail them out.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 5th, 2012, 7:56 am

valleychamp wrote:UNI just knows how to play defense better than most, and get in front of people. You don't like it, stop charging and STFU. Its not illegal, its not cheating, its not dirty. Its defense. Deal with it crybaby.

No doubt driven by UNI's superior athleticism.

(PS - flopping is technically against the rules. Luckily for UNI, that rule is never enforced).
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » October 5th, 2012, 8:36 am

I have said it before and I will say it again- I have seen EVERY team flop or tyr to draw a whistle from the refs. Some of the worst examples I can recall recently are Garrett Stutz and Doug McDermott, neither of whom play for UNI. Last year, UNI suffered because their players tried to hold position more and were getting called for defensive fouls when the offensive players were allowed to just keep barreling into them. If they moved but didn't get knocked over it was called on the defense. Even if they got knocked over, it was still only called on the offense-the one INITIATING contact- less than half the time. People want to complain about UNI, but UNI has consistently been one of the least whistled teams for fouls in the league for many years now. We play solid defense without fouling.

I'm not saying that UNI hasn't had players at times try and draw a whistle, but so has everyone else and UNI doesn't do it at any higher rate. Look at your own teams when it comes to trying to sell fouls or provoke the other team into fouls first-no one is immune.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » October 5th, 2012, 12:24 pm

I still think it comes down to better and/or accurate officiating.

Where I see flopping really causing trouble is when player A drives to the basket on offense and jumps to shoot or lay the ball up and player B flops prior to the landing and the event causes Player A a bad fall or incapable of safe landing.
It seems there is a lack of calls on situations like I descibed.

Player B doesn't have position, is just laying on the floor from the flop, then Player A who may or may not have scored, lands or steps on Player A. Then who is in the wrong?
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LJay » October 10th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:Some of the worst examples I can recall recently are Garrett Stutz and Doug McDermott, neither of whom play for UNI.

WTF are you talking about? Another UNI fan with a hard-on toward the McDermott family I suppose. I've seen all of McDermott's college games and he has taken very few charges. Our charge leader is Manigat with Chatman getting more than expected from a frosh. The entire league tries to flop on Echinique because he can't be stopped one on one. THAT has been maddening to watch the last couple years.

Personally I think it is shat defense. Get beat on a drive and get bailed out. What they need to do is move that circle around the basket out to the pro circle. That won't stop it but it will stop a lot of it.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » October 10th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Doug's flopping occurs on offense (as we know, Creighton struggles with defensive concepts anyway), with his ridiculous flailing arms act.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shocker_Phi » October 10th, 2012, 11:36 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:I have said it before and I will say it again- I have seen EVERY team flop or tyr to draw a whistle from the refs. Some of the worst examples I can recall recently are Garrett Stutz and Doug McDermott, neither of whom play for UNI. Last year, UNI suffered because their players tried to hold position more and were getting called for defensive fouls when the offensive players were allowed to just keep barreling into them. If they moved but didn't get knocked over it was called on the defense. Even if they got knocked over, it was still only called on the offense-the one INITIATING contact- less than half the time. People want to complain about UNI, but UNI has consistently been one of the least whistled teams for fouls in the league for many years now. We play solid defense without fouling.

I'm not saying that UNI hasn't had players at times try and draw a whistle, but so has everyone else and UNI doesn't do it at any higher rate. Look at your own teams when it comes to trying to sell fouls or provoke the other team into fouls first-no one is immune.

Garrett Stutz usually didn't flop. I'm not saying he never did, but most of the time, it was just because he's super duper clumsy. Did you not ever notice that??
Shocker_Phi
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby glm38 » October 11th, 2012, 5:16 am

LJay wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:Some of the worst examples I can recall recently are Garrett Stutz and Doug McDermott, neither of whom play for UNI.

WTF are you talking about? Another UNI fan with a hard-on toward the McDermott family I suppose. I've seen all of McDermott's college games and he has taken very few charges. Our charge leader is Manigat with Chatman getting more than expected from a frosh. The entire league tries to flop on Echinique because he can't be stopped one on one. THAT has been maddening to watch the last couple years.

Personally I think it is shat defense. Get beat on a drive and get bailed out. What they need to do is move that circle around the basket out to the pro circle. That won't stop it but it will stop a lot of it.

You are delusional. I love Doug's game. There is no one in the mvc I'd rather watch. But he exaggerates contact on offense and defense. The way the game is right now he'd be crazy not to.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 11th, 2012, 9:47 am

aceacebaby wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Doug's flopping occurs on offense (as we know, Creighton struggles with defensive concepts anyway), with his ridiculous flailing arms act.

We all get it. UNI fans are bitter and I probably would be too under the circumstances, but trying to slam the best valley player in years looks petty particularly when flopping is a major part of your defensive strategy.

Regardless of team affiliation as a fan Doug DOES flop like crazy - but not in the "taking a charge" type way. He does it in the NBA type way were every single time he has the ball and gets a finger laid on him he is flailing his arms trying to get a call and then him and his father complaining when they don't.

Greg has been doing that s*** since he was at UNI, and it drove me crazy then.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball