Who has a New Coach at their school this time next year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby the valley boys » October 14th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Just curious, but who thinks what school will be running their practices with a new coach next year? My thoughts:

1st - Coach Gregg Marshall at WSU. He moves on to geener pastures. Haven't we been saying this every year?
2nd - Coach Mark Phelps at DU. Even though they finished 3rd in the MVC last year, who didn't.
3rd - Coach Marty Simmons at UE. He finished third last year too, but with only one ace in the starting five, that's a terrible hand to play.
the valley boys
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who has a New Coach at their school this time next year?

Postby Wufan » October 14th, 2012, 8:25 pm

I think if Marshall was going to leave he would have done it last year. I don't see the "perfect" program calling in 2013.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » October 14th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Simmons isn't leaving nor will he be asked to. Simmons is at his dream job at this time.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 14th, 2012, 10:42 pm

sixth ace wrote:Simmons isn't leaving nor will he be asked to. Simmons is at his dream job at this time.

Aren't all coaches at their dream job at this time?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 15th, 2012, 5:24 am

Simply put, no.

Four coaches are in their first or second year...they're safe.

Jacobson and McDermott are safe bets to stay.

Marshall would have to have another phenomenal season followed by the right opening.

Three other coaches will likely have decent seasons and some leeway in the loss column. We may not lose anyone this year.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 15th, 2012, 7:49 am

I don't expect to lose anyone this year. I certainly don't think anyone will get fired.

If anybody leaves, it will be Jacobson or Marshall to accept a job somewhere else. I don't even see this as all that likely for the simple reason that the jobs they would be most interested in don't look to be opening after this year either.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » October 15th, 2012, 9:10 am

sixth ace wrote:Simmons isn't leaving nor will he be asked to. Simmons is at his dream job at this time.

/everyone at every school ever.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » October 15th, 2012, 9:45 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I don't expect to lose anyone this year. I certainly don't think anyone will get fired.

If anybody leaves, it will be Jacobson or Marshall to accept a job somewhere else. I don't even see this as all that likely for the simple reason that the jobs they would be most interested in don't look to be opening after this year either.

I'm not sure about that. Nor do I know what Jake or Gregg's dream job is. From the reports I read Jake was really wanting the Texas A&M job until Billy Kennedy got involved. I doubt he leaves in the next year but you never know. I guess Minnesota is the one people wonder about with him?

With respect to Gregg. I'm not sure either. South Carolina which isn't a good job was said to be his dream job but he rebuffed them. I have to think that if Wake Forest comes open he would be a serious candidate. And that should happen by the way.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » October 15th, 2012, 11:04 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:I don't expect to lose anyone this year. I certainly don't think anyone will get fired.

I'm not sure about that. Nor do I know what Jake or Gregg's dream job is. From the reports I read Jake was really wanting the Texas A&M job until Billy Kennedy got involved. I doubt he leaves in the next year but you never know. I guess Minnesota is the one people wonder about with him?

With respect to Gregg. I'm not sure either. South Carolina which isn't a good job was said to be his dream job but he rebuffed them. I have to think that if Wake Forest comes open he would be a serious candidate. And that should happen by the way.

Maybe Marshall will be interested in WF, but why would he turn down SC one year only to go to WF the next? I think HCGM is holding out for one of the top 10-15 jobs in the country, and I don't think he'll have that opportunity in 2013.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball