Best and Worst of the Valley

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best and Worst of the Valley

Postby ShockValue » October 22nd, 2012, 3:26 pm

Casey and Cold are passionate fans. Marshall is a passionate coach. You can dislike them all you want but they make things interesting and give us something to talk about.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jays26 » October 22nd, 2012, 3:32 pm

ShockValue wrote:Casey and Cold are Delusional fans. Marshall is a passionate coach. You can dislike them all you want but they make things interesting and give us something to talk about.

Fixed
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » October 22nd, 2012, 5:57 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:So what I think I hear you saying is Marshall gives the MVC some character and flavor. He's salt. He's like the Tabasco you that you put on all your food.

I was thinking more like a turd in a punchbowl. If you want to say that it gives the punch a little extra flavor, I'll have to take your word for it.

That was really funny! :Cheers:
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » October 22nd, 2012, 10:07 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:So what I think I hear you saying is Marshall gives the MVC some character and flavor. He's salt. He's like the Tabasco you that you put on all your food.

I was thinking more like a turd in a punchbowl. If you want to say that it gives the punch a little extra flavor, I'll have to take your word for it.

I thought that what you all used to mask the alcohol in your punch?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WuShock Reaper » October 25th, 2012, 11:06 am

Worst TV Guy

Ned Reynolds with KY3 in Springfield, Missouri – I swear that any game he is doing that during halftime he is out in the parking lot smoking a full-pack of unfiltered Camel cigarettes and drinking a pint of bourbon whiskey before getting back on the air. I think he retired, “so, bon jour and good riddance.”

Just skip to the 4:30 mark – that’s where the belly laughing really begins. Those Ozarks Boys are so easily entertained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mfGgg6pBc&feature=plcp

Best Radio Guy

Mike Kennedy – With over 1000 consecutive men’s basketball games under his belt, he is a real pro. As an example, here is one of his great play-by-play calls and he how he handles all of the dead time during an 89 – 68 beat down at the CenturyLink Center in front of 18,735+ fans and a National TV audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q94XgM3N3hc
WuShock Reaper
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » October 25th, 2012, 12:21 pm

WuShock Reaper wrote:Worst TV Guy

Ned Reynolds with KY3 in Springfield, Missouri – I swear that any game he is doing that during halftime he is out in the parking lot smoking a full-pack of unfiltered Camel cigarettes and drinking a pint of bourbon whiskey before getting back on the air. I think he retired, “so, bon jour and good riddance.”

Just skip to the 4:30 mark – that’s where the belly laughing really begins. Those Ozarks Boys are so easily entertained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mfGgg6pBc&feature=plcp

Best Radio Guy

Mike Kennedy – With over 1000 consecutive men’s basketball games under his belt, he is a real pro. As an example, here is one of his great play-by-play calls and he how he handles all of the dead time during an 89 – 68 beat down at the CenturyLink Center in front of 18,735+ fans and a National TV audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q94XgM3N3hc

I agree about Kennedy. Not sure I would go so far as to call him the best voice in the Valley but he is in the discussion and that speaks to the depth of our announcers. We definitely aren't mid-major if you define that by play by play guys.

Personally I love Ned. Not everyone does. I get that. He is our Chris Berman or Vern Lundquist type who is generally affable and a great guy but the game is starting to pass him by a bit. If he can get better help in the way of a partner I think he can continue for a few more years. I understand outsiders may not appreciate the nuances of Nitwit Ned but for most Springfieldians he is a delight.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » October 25th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Anyone who has ever seen a Panther Sports Network broadcast with Rick Coleman would give him the award hands down......that's not including how bad he is at doing the sports for the local newstation
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » October 25th, 2012, 1:48 pm

uniftw wrote:Anyone who has ever seen a Panther Sports Network broadcast with Rick Coleman would give him the award hands down......that's not including how bad he is at doing the sports for the local newstation

Worse than Dolph Pulliam on the Drake radio broadcasts? Dolph is one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and he's a Drake legend......but he is absolutely brutal on the radio. Constantly bitching about the refs.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stl scooter » October 25th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Occasionally, WFIE in Evansville will televise an Aces game. Unfortunately, the dust off Mike Blake to do the play by play. He can't keep up with the plays and doesn't know the players names...on the HOME TEAM!
:Bam:
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WuShock Reaper » October 31st, 2012, 10:59 am

Well here is my candidate for best quote of the 2012-13 season and we haven’t eben had our first game yet.

Barry Hinson, Head Coach at Southern Illinois (who is picked 10th in the MVC Media Poll) MVC Media Day:

Call-in Moderator – “There are no further questions for SIU” – (there were only a couple of questions for Hinson).

Coach Hinson – “Is that how it works? I guess that’s what happens when you are picked for 10th place.”
WuShock Reaper
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball