Joe Mitchell leaving Shockers

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby ShockValue » October 22nd, 2012, 3:23 pm

Suellentrop reporting that Ohio transfer Joe Mitchell has left the WSU hoops team. Not sure why yet.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Joe Mitchell leaving Shockers

Postby valleychamp » October 22nd, 2012, 5:27 pm

Mitchell leaves team — Walk-on Joe Mitchell said he quit the men’s basketball team.
Mitchell, from Southeast, said he wants to continue his basketball career at another school and will transfer at semester break. He said he believed he would receive a scholarship at WSU after sitting out last season.
Mitchell signed with Ohio University after two seasons at Hutchinson Community College. Citing homesickness after spending the summer in Ohio, he transferred to WSU in the summer of 2011. Mitchell paid his own way at WSU in 2011-12 and was not eligible to play, due to NCAA rules, because he received financial aid at Ohio to take summer classes.
Mitchell said he believes Marshall told family members he would receive a scholarship this season.
“I feel like a player of my talent, I deserve to be on scholarship,” Mitchell said. “I’m not rich. I can go somewhere and be on scholarship.”
Mitchell said he is looking at several schools, but declined to name them.
Marshall said Mitchell’s family approached him late that summer, hoping for a spot on the roster after Mitchell decided to leave Ohio. Marshall said he told family members Mitchell could walk on for the first year with no guarantee of a scholarship in the future. Marshall said he raised the possibility of a scholarship in his third year, if earned. Because Mitchell signed with Ohio, he could not speak directly to WSU coaches.
“There was never, ever a scholarship promise to him,” Marshall said. “He is mistaken.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2012/10/22/254169 ... rylink=cpy

mmmmmm....
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 22nd, 2012, 5:50 pm

A tweet from Mitchell on Friday night declared, "I've lost the love for the game."

I believe he had to know before October that he wasn't on scholarship.

He is correct that he is good enough to get his education paid for. IMO, once he saw Fred VanVleet me decided to move on.

Best of luck to Mitchell wherever the future takes him!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 22nd, 2012, 7:59 pm

Did Marshall take his books like he did to Johnny Coy?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » October 22nd, 2012, 8:35 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Did Marshall take his books like he did to Johnny Coy?

Well since Mitchell was not on scholarship I would say the answer was No.

I bet Coy wishes he fulfilled his basketball scholarship commitment instead listening to others who were leading him astray that his path to glory was through baseball. That decision worked out well.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Haha » October 24th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:

I bet Coy wishes he fulfilled his basketball scholarship commitment instead listening to others who were leading him astray that his path to glory was through baseball. That decision worked out well.

Boy I sure can't figure out why a kid who had been drafted in the 7th round out of high school chose to stick with that sport. Granted he hasn't been what I'm sure he or anybody else expected but that doesn't mean baseball wasn't the right choice. It offered the best professional career path at that time and still does.

Mitchell was at Ohio last summer, got home sick so he left to come home to Wichita. Marshall didn't go recruiting him, they contacted Marshall. So to sit back and act like something shady happened is bogus. I have no problems with Marshall and the situation.

Mitchell is a 6'2 guard who can't shoot the outside shot. My guess is he is using the scholarship excuse to leave instead of saying he didn't wan't to sit the bench behind Cotton and Baker for the rest of his career. I don't blame him I wouldn't either. He will end up in D2 somewhere getting school paid for and a starting role. Hope he ends up at Newman, he could do well there like several other WSU transfers in previous years.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » October 24th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Haha wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

Boy I sure can't figure out why a kid who had been drafted in the 7th round out of high school chose to stick with that sport. Granted he hasn't been what I'm sure he or anybody else expected but that doesn't mean baseball wasn't the right choice.

It doesn't mean baseball was the right choice either. Baseball might be his best path to go play minor league ball, but college basketball was a path for a free college education and degree.

It offered the best professional career path at that time and still does.

Well since it his ONLY sport now, that is kind of given isn't it.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Haha » October 25th, 2012, 8:37 am

Snaggletooth wrote:It doesn't mean baseball was the right choice either. Baseball might be his best path to go play minor league ball, but college basketball was a path for a free college education and degree.

Oh brother...He graduates this year so half of your argument makes no sense. The point of paying for school, ok I give you that although he is only paying a certain percentage. Again when you were just recently drafted in the 7th round and professional baseball people are telling you that a career can be had in the sport then that's the sport you go with. He made the right choice regardless if he ever plays an inning of professional baseball or not.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » October 25th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Haha wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:It doesn't mean baseball was the right choice either. Baseball might be his best path to go play minor league ball, but college basketball was a path for a free college education and degree.

Oh brother...He graduates this year so half of your argument makes no sense. The point of paying for school, ok I give you that although he is only paying a certain percentage. Again when you were just recently drafted in the 7th round and professional baseball people are telling you that a career can be had in the sport then that's the sport you go with. He made the right choice regardless if he ever plays an inning of professional baseball or not.

Where was he drafted this summer?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby kochhead22 » October 26th, 2012, 8:33 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
Haha wrote:

Where was he drafted this summer?

I can't remember the specific article i read and i'll see if i can track it down but it stated that Johnny made it known that he wasn't going to leave college after this past season. He'll get drafted in a decent round after his senior season.
kochhead22
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball