Joe Mitchell leaving Shockers

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Joe Mitchell leaving Shockers

Postby Haha » October 26th, 2012, 9:45 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
Where was he drafted this summer?

45th rd by Bluejays and nothing the year before. However he also has told the scouts he had no interest in signing those years. Believe that or not who cares.

Like I said he made the right choice whether he ever plays an inning of professional baseball or not. When he made the choice he was just a year plus removed from being taken in the 7th round.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Snaggletooth » October 26th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Haha wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
Where was he drafted this summer?

45th rd by Bluejays and nothing the year before. However he also has told the scouts he had no interest in signing those years. Believe that or not who cares.

Like I said he made the right choice whether he ever plays an inning of professional baseball or not. When he made the choice he was just a year plus removed from being taken in the 7th round.

It doesn't matter where he was drafted in high school. U generally want to actually improve your draft status in college. And anybody that says they know whether he made a right choice now is either delusional or doesn't want to admit there they are wrong. Nobody will know for a few years whether the choices he made were the right one.

But regardless - he committed and took a scholarship from wsu basketball and he didn't honor his committment to the program. And that says something about his honor and integrity.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » October 26th, 2012, 1:40 pm

kochhead22 wrote:
I can't remember the specific article i read and i'll see if i can track it down but it stated that Johnny made it known that he wasn't going to leave college after this past season. He'll get drafted in a decent round after his senior season.

As a junior and if u really want to pursue a career In minor league baseball you don't tell MLB baseball your not interested. Let's face it he has had a average career at wsu playing for baseball program in decline. Maybe if he had a little more talent around him it might have turned out better. But he didn't tear up summer leagues either and was not that highly regarded by BA. Here is what wichita paper said before the draft this year.

The two All-MVC players are eligible for the draft - DH Johnny Coy and closer Cale Elam. If Baseball America is an accurate guide, neither will be picked on the first two days. WSU coaches believe there is a good chance both will return for 2013.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby kochhead22 » October 26th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
kochhead22 wrote:
I can't remember the specific article i read and i'll see if i can track it down but it stated that Johnny made it known that he wasn't going to leave college after this past season. He'll get drafted in a decent round after his senior season.

As a junior and if u really want to pursue a career In minor league baseball you don't tell MLB baseball your not interested. Let's face it he has had a average career at wsu playing for baseball program in decline. Maybe if he had a little more talent around him it might have turned out better. But he didn't tear up summer leagues either and was not that highly regarded by BA. Here is what wichita paper said before the draft this year.

The two All-MVC players are eligible for the draft - DH Johnny Coy and closer Cale Elam. If Baseball America is an accurate guide, neither will be picked on the first two days. WSU coaches believe there is a good chance both will return for 2013.

Kid wants to finish college, pretty sure you can tell MLB that you're not interested tell after college, i'm not saying he'll get drafted as high as he would have a few years ago but he'll be just fine.
kochhead22
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 26th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:rBut regardless - he committed and took a scholarship from wsu basketball and he didn't honor his committment to the program. And that says something about his honor and integrity.

Apparently his honor and integrity weren't harmed so badly that WSU didn't want him hanging around the baseball team. Or are you saying baseball players are less honorable and have less integrity than hoopers?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » October 28th, 2012, 12:31 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:rBut regardless - he committed and took a scholarship from wsu basketball and he didn't honor his committment to the program. And that says something about his honor and integrity.

Apparently his honor and integrity weren't harmed so badly that WSU didn't want him hanging around the baseball team. Or are you saying baseball players are less honorable and have less integrity than hoopers?

I believe the integrity issued surrounding wsu baseball is well documented in the public domain. Now that being said I believe the WSU ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT has taken steps to clean the mess up surrounding baseball and there is a zero tolerance for the coaches or players. I don't think wsu will be renewing Gene contract anytime soon unless somehow gets back to the CWS (without having to buy a GA ticket).
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball