Expansion rumor (possible complete BS)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby uniftw » October 22nd, 2012, 5:54 pm

Ive been hearing a lot of rumors from people I know in NW Iowa and South Dakota that the University of South Dakota (is joined the MVFC this season) is attempting to get into the MVC.

I'm not a fan of this at all....I assume most here aren't as well. Anyone else heard anything on this?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Expansion rumor (possible complete BS)

Postby valleychamp » October 22nd, 2012, 6:17 pm

All of those Dakota schools are "trying" to get into the Valley. There have been several instances where they have publicly stated their desire to end up here at some point, there is no secret to this at all.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » October 22nd, 2012, 6:40 pm

could you imagine how pissed the other 3 Dakota Territory schools would be if only USD was admitted to the MVC, it'd be hysterical.

regardless, their admittance into the MVC won't happen in our lifetimes.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 22nd, 2012, 7:00 pm

I know they've all been "trying" to get in, but this is the first time I've heard it from the "general public". Seems as though the rumors from USD are getting rather strong...against, doesn't mean much I realize. It could be excitement from their new basketball arena, and other much needed upgrades.

It would be rather funny to see the NDSU/SDSU melt down if it happened....

Although the meltdown from most MVC schools would be just as bad.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 22nd, 2012, 8:07 pm

My brother is a prof there. He hasn't heard a word about it.

Why would we add one team? Doesn't seem to make much sense unless somebody's leaving. Is the MAC still interested in UNI's crappy FB team?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Hail Our Panthers » October 22nd, 2012, 8:11 pm

Definitely won't happen until somebody leaves. Won't happen unless 5-10 other schools decline an invite. Hope it does, provided that it happens in the next 1-3 years while I go to school at USD and they are kicked out as soon as I leave. They haven't even broken ground on their new basketball arena yet, I think the legislature is to pass that in like January or something, but I'm not really keeping up on that.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Shocker_Phi » October 23rd, 2012, 8:13 am

Ugh, nothing more boring than the Dakotas. I forget that they are even states from time to time.
Shocker_Phi
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TheAsianSensation » October 23rd, 2012, 8:29 am

From what I've seen, the XDSUJs have a better overall university profile for the MVC than North Dakota or South Dakota. In either case, I'd rather have none of the 4 in the league, push come to shove.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 23rd, 2012, 9:41 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:From what I've seen, the XDSUJs have a better overall university profile for the MVC than North Dakota or South Dakota. In either case, I'd rather have none of the 4 in the league, push come to shove.

Perhaps, but at least in the case of SDSU vs. USD, the travel distance is substantially greater. You can get to Vermillion in just a touch over two hours by bus from Omaha (I assume CU and UNI are the closest current schools to those locations). Brookings takes a lot, lot longer, especially with a ton of snow and ice on the ground... And I'm not sure if one can even charter into these areas.

I have zero interest in any Dakota schools, despite the fact that they would be roadies that I could actually go to, unlike most of the MVC venues. If we are really going to add somebody, there needs to be value - a TV market, an area that produces a lot of D1 players, a ready made program tat can compete for NCAA tourney births at the outset, etc. Something at least. I see the Dakotas providing none of those things - there are extremely remote, produce next to zero D1 basketball players and can't compete against MVC schools for tourney bids immediately.

I am not moved because some of the football schools in the MVFC have established Fb rivalries with some of these schools. So what? Nobody really cares about non D1 Fb nationally anyway (that's why most of the teams are trying to move up a level...)
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 23rd, 2012, 9:49 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:From what I've seen, the XDSUJs have a better overall university profile for the MVC than North Dakota or South Dakota. In either case, I'd rather have none of the 4 in the league, push come to shove.

Perhaps, but at least in the case of SDSU vs. USD, the travel distance is substantially greater. You can get to Vermillion in just a touch over two hours by bus from Omaha (I assume CU and UNI are the closest current schools to those locations). Brookings takes a lot, lot longer, especially with a ton of snow and ice on the ground... And I'm not sure if one can even charter into these areas.

I have zero interest in any Dakota schools, despite the fact that they would be roadies that I could actually go to, unlike most of the MVC venues. If we are really going to add somebody, there needs to be value - a TV market, an area that produces a lot of D1 players, a ready made program tat can compete for NCAA tourney births at the outset, etc. Something at least. I see the Dakotas providing none of those things - there are extremely remote, produce next to zero D1 basketball players and can't compete against MVC schools for tourney bids immediately.

I am not moved because some of the football schools in the MVFC have established Fb rivalries with some of these schools. So what? Nobody really cares about non D1 Fb nationally anyway (that's why most of the teams are trying to move up a level...)
Brookings is literally right off of I-29....not hard to get too. When the roads are covered by a ton of snow and ice Vermilion is much harder to get to, even though it is closer. Also, Brookings is only an hour from Sioux Falls, which has a big air port...and Brookings actually has a regional air port as well - while not huge, I'm sure they can handle most planes.

FWIW, I agree with not adding any of the Dakota's.....
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball