Expansion rumor (possible complete BS)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Expansion rumor (possible complete BS)

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » October 23rd, 2012, 12:15 pm

Shocker_Phi wrote:Ugh, nothing more boring than the Dakotas. I forget that they are even states from time to time.

Your state is full of wonderment. Every time I am in Garden City that feeling hits me let me tell ya.

Honestly the Dakota schools fit in fine with us culturally. I have never understood the hatred directed at them. We look at them snobbishly as if we are investment bankers on Park Avenue looking down at the riffraff. We aren't better than them. Let me be clear, there are 4-5 schools out there that I would prefer over the Dakota schools but let's not be arrogant about them. They are proud people.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » October 23rd, 2012, 2:18 pm

Yes, the Valley is too good for the UXD's and XDSU's. They have barely transitioned to D-1. I believe the UXD's aren't even eligible for postseason play yet (or just became eligible). The conferences that snap up D-1 infants are the Summits and the OVCs and the Big Souths, not multi-bid conferences with proud traditions and strong programs like the Valley. That is just embarrassing to suggest otherwise, Casey.

Moreover, the UXD's and XDSU's bring absolutely NOTHING to the table in terms of market share. None. Zero. Zilch. Neither state has more than a million people. IN THE ENTIRE STATE. For reference, more people live in the Omaha MSA than in the entire state of South Dakota (by the way, North Dakota has even fewer people).

Taking on the UXD's and the XDSU's would be the Valley's way of saying, we give up.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheAsianSensation » October 23rd, 2012, 2:29 pm

I will say this much: If Creighton and Wichita leave for, say, the A-10 someday, and the MVC's solution is to add the XDSUs (or the regular Dakotas) to replace them, I would encourage everyone on the forum to grab pitchforks and incite riots.

And if the Dakotas spend a couple decades or so and establish themselves as legit programs, then it can be revisited. And to be fair, I think they've got a chance, in the Summit at least, to do that.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 23rd, 2012, 2:35 pm

You have to ignore Casey. He thinks anybody that plays in the MVFC is the shiznit. He's also enamored with schools like Tennessee St. I know it is surprising to hear, but he'd be a failure as an AD because he would make all of the department's decisions on FCS football, completely ignoring the fact that basketball income is what funds the entire department.

The "They are a proud people" comment has got to be one of the most inane things I've ever read. What does pride have to do with anything? Terrorists tend to be proud people as well. What pride has to do with conference selection, however, is completely beyond me. Aren't the fans of John A. Logan proud? What about Grinell and Upper Iowa? What about all of the students at the D2 schools on MSU's MBB schedule?

Pride: the new basis for conference selection. Unbelievable.

Where's that thread that identifies Casey as the worst poster again?
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on October 23rd, 2012, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » October 23rd, 2012, 2:58 pm

Well I've taken my shots at Casey in the past but on this I will defend him. Like every sane person I have no interest in any of the Dakotas being in The Valley and I don't see his comments stating otherwise. He is merely requesting we play nice and I see no problem with that. No one has to play nice if the don't want to but it is a reasonable response on his part.

All of the Dakotas have wanted in The Valley and as has been pointed out, there are numerous reasons why this won't happen. Then again it is possible that we can find a neutral court in one of them.

No to the Dakotas but I'd say yes to Murray State.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » October 23rd, 2012, 4:12 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:You have to ignore Casey. He thinks anybody that plays in the MVFC is the shiznit. He's also enamored with schools like Tennessee St. I know it is surprising to hear, but he'd be a failure as an AD because he would make all of the department's decisions on FCS football, completely ignoring the fact that basketball income is what funds the entire department.

The "They are a proud people" comment has got to be one of the most inane things I've ever read. What does pride have to do with anything? Terrorists tend to be proud people as well. What pride has to do with conference selection, however, is completely beyond me. Aren't the fans of John A. Logan proud? What about Grinell and Upper Iowa? What about all of the students at the D2 schools on MSU's MBB schedule?

Pride: the new basis for conference selection. Unbelievable.

Where's that thread that identifies Casey as the worst poster again?

You are completing mischaracterizing my point. I am simply stating that we shouldn't act with holier than thou tendencies. All of us to nearly the last poster will admonish our instate BCS brethren because they act better than us. Are we really any better if we laugh at the Dakota schools and act like they are a bunch of hillbillies from the middle of nowhere?

Yes NDSU and SDSU are intriguing schools to follow. I am not encouraging Elgin to fly to Fargo and give them the key to our conference clubhouse. I like a lot about NDSU however. Perhaps down the line.

But let's be respectful and not mock them. All four of them deserve our respect.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shocker_Phi » October 23rd, 2012, 8:12 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Where's that thread that identifies Casey as the worst poster again?

I was the one who suggested that. Everyone else on board now? Good. Let's give him the medal and move on without him.
Shocker_Phi
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » October 24th, 2012, 7:54 am

I'm not afraid to go on the record to say that there is a pecking order in college sports. BCS, near-BCS, mid-major, low-major. When it comes to basketball, the Valley is near-BCS. But I still wouldn't trot onto the Big 12 message board and suggest that Missouri State be considered for membership, and would expect to be mocked if I did. Same thing here with the Dakotas. I'm sick and tired of this "it's not ok to say we're better than other leagues and other schools" B.S. It's perfectly ok.

It's attitudes like this that make me understand why Creighton and Wichita State are hunting for the exit door.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Haha » October 24th, 2012, 4:41 pm

I vote no...

I do think there are lots of positives for NDSU but they have one HUGE negative that can't be overcome. They are located in the north pole!

The other 3 Dakotas no thanks.

To the fans that think I'm being snobbish, go lobby your school to join the summit. Otherwise your a snob too.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RoyalShock » October 25th, 2012, 8:36 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
Shocker_Phi wrote:Ugh, nothing more boring than the Dakotas. I forget that they are even states from time to time.

Your state is full of wonderment. Every time I am in Garden City that feeling hits me let me tell ya.

If my nephew didn't spend some time out there I'd forget about it's existence from time-to-time, as well. I just think of it as that place you have to drive through on the way to Salida (CO)!
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball